Notices

Anyone ever been to the Burning Man Festival?

Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone ever been to the Burning Man Festival?

Not exactly sure where I should post this. Sort of OT, but I am wondering if anyone has ever gone to Burning Man out in Nevada. I am thinking about going NEXT YEAR. It is always held the week before Labor Day weekend (end of August and early September), so I have well over a year to make a decision whether or not to go.

I wonder if being around people who are clearly drunk and/or high will be triggering or a big turnoff. I don't want temptation. I would be with someone who is also sober, so there would be support. There are also sober camps, camps that run AA meetings onsite, etc. I've heard people say that they don't really feel like drinking/using, but I know a lot of people do it.

I guess I'm more wondering what the experience is like for someone sober. Thanks in advance!

Angie
Old 06-26-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
broken wings

I've heard many things about burning man i myself have wanted to go.as for the temptaion part i guess its a personal thing it is definitley something to think about.are you able to go to places with alcohol, not drink and still have a good time.i think the experience alone would be so intoxicating i would not want to drink myself but im not sure i could pull it off.I live in nevada probably about 100 or so miles from the black rock desert where they have burning man so we get to see some of the incredible vehicles people build to take there it is unreal.i guess you'll just have to consider where you are and if you think you are strong enough to be in that situation without enhancers hope i helped a little have a great day
Old 06-26-2008, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

That's a tough one. Let me get back to ya this time next year on that.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I guess I remember back to when I was raving. Everybody thought raves were a huge drug scene - that EVERYBODY did drugs at raves. I didn't. I didn't see the point. Drinking was totally taboo. Then I got into clubs (when I turned 21) and things got out of hand.

I went to a couple of regionals back when I was drinking. I didn't hold a candle to some of the folks there...LOL. They drank all day. That's what sort of freaks me out. Burners tend to be hard partiers (at least the ones I met).

I figure if I go I'll be realistic about my limits. If something gets too heavy, I'll move on the next camp (or go to a sober one). All water & energy drinks (and coffee...yum) for me.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi. I've been to burning man back in the "day" when I still used. I wouldn't go again because it was all about the drugs. It was all about an alternate reality and doing things that aren't acceptable by societal standards. I wouldn't be able to go and stay sober. I wouldn't want to be clean if I was there because nobody else would be clean and I wouldn't be able to relate.

But that's just me and my experience.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's kind of how I feel about going to bars (that don't have some form of entertainment like a band or dancing, etc.). I won't do it. It's all about booze, not even entertainment.

For the record, drugs (nacarcotics, hallucinogens, weed, etc.) aren't my thing. I have problems with the sauce. Being around a bunch of drunk or high people is alienating to me, though. I have to keep it in mind. If I got there & that's what it was, I'd have to actively seek out sober folks. They're there...but just as in the rave scene, they're fewer in number.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was at Burning Man in 2001 - at least I think it was 2001, if that tells you anything. Yes, it was ALL about the drugs AND booze. Likewise, most days I'm afraid to pop an aspirin and one hit of weed sends me into the outer limits or the deepest hole, but trust me, I found MORE than enough booze to keep me liquored the entire time I was there. If you do go, I would certainly find the sober ones off the bat. Their the ones that are there because they enjoy being there, and aren't there as an excuse to get f-ed up for days on end, which sadly is why alot of people go. I should know - I did.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went to Burning Man in 2000, I was with nondrinkers so i didn't drink or get high. But, man. what a drinkfest/drugfest scene.

I'm so over Burning Man.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I get bored being around those drinking and just don't do it anymore.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wellgrrl View Post
Not exactly sure where I should post this. Sort of OT, but I am wondering if anyone has ever gone to Burning Man out in Nevada. I am thinking about going NEXT YEAR. It is always held the week before Labor Day weekend (end of August and early September), so I have well over a year to make a decision whether or not to go.

I wonder if being around people who are clearly drunk and/or high will be triggering or a big turnoff. I don't want temptation. I would be with someone who is also sober, so there would be support. There are also sober camps, camps that run AA meetings onsite, etc. I've heard people say that they don't really feel like drinking/using, but I know a lot of people do it.

I guess I'm more wondering what the experience is like for someone sober. Thanks in advance!

Angie
Just my experience, ymmv. I love racing. Sailboat racing, to be precise. The majority of the racing we do is commonly called "beer can" racing, go out on Wednesday night and race for several hours with a fair amount of beer consumed after the race, never during. The first thing they do after we cross the line, pass out the beer.

When I was drinking, I did a fair percentage of my drinking with these guys. When I finally got sober, I had the dilemma, what was I going to do when racing season started six months down the road? Everything worked out fine, have only had one strong urge to drink in all the time I've been out with these guys, and we finally have another non-drinker aboard.

For me, it wasn't about the drinking after all, though it may have started that way. I love the racing. That being said, I rarely hang out for any extended period after the race, and when we do weekend regattas I usually always go home pretty much directly after the race, avoiding the activities that involve sitting around drinking alcohol. The two things can be separated, but in the case of what you're talking about doing it isn't so clear. In any event, you have a year to figure it out. Good Luck!
Old 06-27-2008, 04:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

um, what IS the burning man festival??
Old 06-27-2008, 05:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think it's a matter of where you're at in your program, whether you think you would place your sobriety in jeopardy or not. I think you need to analyze very carefully and honestly your reasons for wanting to go to the Festival in the first place. If you can honestly say that this isn't an excuse to relapse and/or wouldn't place your sobriety in danger then go and have fun. I went to my first rock concert last weekend, I felt uncomfortable for a while but then started paying more attention to the music than what people were doing around me and I had a good time. I actually REMEMBER the concert and everything! lol

John
Old 06-27-2008, 09:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
um, what IS the burning man festival??
The Burning Man Project :: Welcome Home

It's promoted as an arts festival, but it's really much more than that. It's about pushing boundaries, doing wacky out of the ordinary stuff. It's about radical self-reliance. It's about leaving no trace. It's about being a participant, not a spectator. At the end of the festival, a huge wooden and LED lighted sculptural "man" is torched in a huge bonfire.

Basically, people go to the middle of nowhere, set up camp, bring funky art and special art cars/decorated vehicles (otherwise no driving is allowed), some party/do drugs. It's a dusty, dirty harsh environment. I got into regional events due to having a friend who had gone to BM. He started organizing events and I went to a few. This was before I stopped drinking, though. Basically, regional events don't hold a candle to the BIG BURN.