Notices

A sort of survey re: AA

Old 06-26-2008, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A sort of survey re: AA

Just curious on how many of you have used AA in your recovery and how many have successfully done it without AA. Thanks.
:ghug2
Old 06-26-2008, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i'm a mom of an alcoholic, so i go to alanon. i don't know where i'd be in my recovery without it. it has been a huge help, and constant support.

hugs, k
Old 06-26-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I got sober 19 and a half years ago in AA, then I left AA after 9 years,I stayed alcohol abstinent for a number of years without a program at all, but then picked up again and stayed in what I call controllled drinking for about 4 years.

I returned to AA almost 3 years ago, I love the principles of the program wholeheartedly.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I follow my own path and use SR as a lifeline.

I have been sober almost 8 years.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been going to AA and have been sober 2 years next month. Working the steps helps me to live a balanced, sober life.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I've been sober with AA for almost 5 months.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well 21 months ago AA led me to sobriety ending a 40 year drinking career. AA is not the only way to happy healthy and sobriety, but it is the one that worked for me.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

10 years clean & sober all by myself.

Then I found NA/AA and learned what 'recovery' means.

NA/AA: the greatest show on Earth.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Clean and sober in AA for 17 months. I was never able to stay clean and sober on my own. Thank God for AA, the steps and the princliples~!
Old 06-26-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Just me and God. Thanks for asking.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

When I got sober in June of '81 AA was really the only game in town. And it worked great for me.

The fellowship helped to re-civilize me, the 12 steps as written in the Big Book of AA, with my sponsors guidance, helped me to work on me.

AA gave me the ability to keep searching for me, to keep lookig for 'my' HP and to find the path that I live today.

Now I know that today there are other 'programs' that are working for those that do not want any part of AA and I think THAT IS GREAT.

Oh, there was a time, in my earlier recovery, when I saw someone leave the program and meetings, that I was absolutely positive they would drink. Part of that was from what I heard at meetings and part of that was projecting my own fear on the person leaving.

Today, I simply suggest to anyone that is wondering to try at least 8 meetings, different meetings, before attempting to make up their minds. And if nothing else, AA meetings are a great place to make new SOBER friends. AA meetings were a SAFE HAVEN for this alkie.

So, however, you recover, I say CONGRATULATIONS. What you're doing seems to be working, so................................................ ......keep doing it!

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 06-26-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone so far! It really is true that whatever works for one may not work for the other. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

I know AA has worked for a lot of the long time recoveries and I specifically knew it worked for Laurie.

I also know that Daddio has found peace, serenity and a sober lifestyle without it for many years.

These are just 2 out of many that I have favorably latched onto as far as their posts and their wisdom and they have done things totally opposite.

I guess there's no right way to do it we just have to find what works and hang on to it for the rest of the ride.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I recovered from alcoholism by using the 12 step program outlined in the book Alcoholics Anonymous.

I will be eternally grateful for AA, I show this gratitude by giving back to the program in service work, sponsoring others and remaining active in my home group.

That being said, at the risk of being branded a heretic, I will say this: AA does not keep me sober, meetings do not keep me sober, my sponsor does not keep me sober, and I sure don't keep myself sober. What AA and the program of recovery has done is pointed me towards developing a relationship with a God of my understanding. Funny thing is, he was there all along, it was my true self that was missing.He has removed the problem for me. This is a gift that words can't begin to touch. Today I am whole, and have purpose and meaning in life.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

came to AA in 85....sober 7 years 92 to 99 (2 years w/aa, 5 years without)...drank again for 7 or so years...treatment, AA and working on my 11th month of sobriety....

for what it is worth...AA without my "religious" practices did not work for me and "religious" practices without AA also doesn't work for me...so I need both.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I agree that everyone has to find their own path in recovery, and decide what works for them to achieve sobriety. With that being said, I walked into my first AA meeting a little over 3 years ago, and it's been my home since then. AA has given me a life that I never dreamed was possible, each day is filled with peace assuming I practice the principles and follow God's will for me.

I also need to give a shout out to the program of Codependents Anonymous. I've been in the rooms of CoDA for a little over 1 year. I learned how to stay clean and sober in AA, in CoDA I'm starting to scratch the surface on my emotional sobriety. It's a great program.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Haven't used AA, just me and SR, as to if my recovery is successful or not, I guess time will tell .........
Old 06-26-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I went to AA, initially in my recovery. I then discovered another drug (crack) that brought me down hard.

I haven't been back to AA, but I am very grateful for what I learned there. I'm like Daddio...it's me and God, but also some very dear friends here at SR and f2f. So far, I have almost 16 months clean, and it's the longest I haven't used SOMETHING to deal with life in over 10 years.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-26-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I'm scared of AA..I like NA.
I will be starting meetings again this weekend
Old 06-26-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Started in aa...questioned it's ideology at about 3 month, continued for the peer support, left at 10 month...still sober at a little over a year determined I didn't have a spiritual malady just a huge behavior problem.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Bugsworth - That was an interesting post. What exactly do you mean when you say you have a "huge behavior problem?"