Question about needle and disease

Old 06-25-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about needle and disease

A couple weeks ago my AH and I were discussing the lack of intimacy we had in our marriage. I told him I was aware that he was using needles and worried of contacting hepatitis or HIV infection. Of course he down played my concerns and said that he is not sharing the needles so he has no risk of contacting anything. I cannot find any info to support his claims. Does anyone have any information they could share?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The risk of disease comes from sharing needles. I, however, would take his word that he's only used clean needles. I'm a recovering addict, and I know of a lot of people who shared needles.

This is your life, you're talking about. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-25-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can't expect an active addict to say logical or truthful. especially when it concerns their drugs... Just because he claims something doesn't make it true. Addicts can and do lie about everything. Even if the truth is obvious. Use your best judgement and trust your instincts. You can't trust an active addict.

Remember this:

Addiction = selfish liar
Old 06-25-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My RAH said that he never shared needles - always used clean ones. Except for when there wasn't one, that is. He usually used clean ones.

I'd say that it is just not worth the risk. I had no idea the sexually transmitted diseases and needle diseases that I was exposing myself to while RAH was in active addiction. Silly me - believed that he was "smart" enough to protect himself. Yes - that was back then before I learned that it is not prudent to believe anything that an active addict is telling you.

I agree - better safe than sorry. Doesn't mean that he's not being truthful, just that it's not worth the risk if he isn't.....
Old 06-25-2008, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

although not sharing needles will keep you safe from HIV him using the same needle over and over again can lead to hepatitis.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would worry more about HIV than anything. There is a 1% chance you will get Hep C from a sexual partner but besides that better to be safe than sorry and I would not believe him if he said he didnt share needles.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

anvilhead,
I am so NOT ok with it. But discussing it with him is pointless. He just tells me I am just trying to control him, blah, blah, blah. You all know the story.

Thank you all for the info. I am pretty sure he is not sharing the needles, but then again, I do not know where they come from, so it would be wise of me trust my gut here.

He certainly doesn't care enough about himself to make the best choices, why would he worry about me?
Old 06-25-2008, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

follow your gut. I've never known mine to be wrong.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

if he is being truthful about not sharing needles with anyone, than he should have no problem with getting tested...

active addicts...not a darn word that comes out of their mouths are truthful...

just protect yourself
Old 06-25-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
11d

As a nurse, I can tell you there are MANY diseases and infections that can be transmitted. You will never be able to test for all of them because an infection show up any where. Staying in denial, saying it won't happen to you,.... is not healthy...literally.

I agree with Avilhead...sharing needles is just one of the careless behaviors addicts will do. Is this how you want to live your life?