How to stop the overwhelming worry...

Old 06-25-2008, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to stop the overwhelming worry...

Help, help!!! I'm sitting at work, trying not to cry and being consumed by worry because I haven't heard from my AH yet today. This is absolutely ridiculous and I really just can't take it anymore. He changed hotels so I don't really know where he is...I know I can't do a dang thing about it but I just need suggestions on how to get it outta your mind.....quick!!!!

Really, I just need some support from folks who understand just how badly this sucks.

Hope your days are going better than mine!
Old 06-25-2008, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A tool I have found helpful is a visualization exercise. I picture shoving whatever I am worrying aout into a box, sealing that box so nothing can get out and handing it over to God's hands. Since I know that my worries, especially my concerns about xAH, are out of my control and that worrying changes nothing, I hand it over to God and trust Him to deal with it. Practice putting your worry into that box, feel that the worries are in there and cannot get out, push them right back in if they start to leak at all, practice trust in your HP. It worked very well for me.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remind myself that my "worrying" and "awfulyzing" has absolutely NO EFFECT on what is happening to someone outside myself. That it is an incredible waste of energy, and it promotes such a negativity about me rather than any attempt to live in the "light", so to speak. That my energy could be much better spent doing something constructive, positive, and loving. That if I could just learn this lesson and catch myself before sliding down the worry-slope, I would have finally realized a valuable lesson through all the years of painful training. I learn to trust those with much experience before me that this worry, worry, worry mind-wandering is pointless, self-damaging, not helpful at all to any A's in my life anyway, and major regression on my part as a recovering codie myself. I am grateful when I can recognize where my thoughts are taking me, to that bad place, and put a hand up to stop them, distract myself with ANY OTHER activity, and turn the dilemma over to God.

I have learned this lesson, over and over, with ALL the A-experiences in my life. I trust it today. I hope you can too. All my worrying never was powerful enough to make a change. But my HP is, on his own time table of course. Try channeling all that energy into a more positive outlet. Get physical, clean, dance, sing, even when you aren't feeling like it. It is the way to teach yourself better coping habits. You DO have the power to change the way your thoughts work, and how you cope each day with challenges.

Coming here is a great first step to letting out all the worry also
Old 06-25-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You know, Barbara52 this is a great lesson to be learned and practiced each and every day. As I tell people in my Al-Anon group, I have always been taught from an early age to give your troubles over to God and he'll take care of them. But I also explained that I have perfected the ability to take them back from him. I don't feel that he does them in the timely manner I want him to. (yes I know, I am very sick) So this box idea has been brought to my attention more than once by my sponsor. She suggest much as you do, just a plain box sealed up with a little cut in the top to drop a piece of paper down into it. I guess I really need to do this. Thanks.

Peaceteach- you said get up and dance, clean and get active. GREAT SUGGESTION.
When my RAH was new into sobriety he went off on me and left said he was going to get drunk. I had enough of Al-Anon in me at the time that I just watched him drive out, and started dancing and repeating the three C's. Before I knew it, the kids were repeating them with me and we were dancing, cooking dinner had the music blarring. I forgot to worry. Thank goodness he came to his senses and came home without drinking, and yes he was too shocked that I was not sitting around bawling my eyes out.

Go talk to an Al-Anon member, and take the advice you get from here. It's done me a world of good.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Resistance is futile"