Solid Decisions Turn to Mush

Old 06-24-2008, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Solid Decisions Turn to Mush

Hello.

I'm pretty new to Sober Recover, bu not new to Alcoholism. I've been married to my AH for over 16 years. It's been 16 years of broken promises, ups and downs and heartache. There have been good times too!

My AH is I guess, what you would call a binge A. He can go extended periods of time without drinking, but once he gets a taste it's all over. Drinks himself into oblivion. Has blackouts and is verbally abusive. I'm not telling anyone anything they don't know first-hand, but sober he is a great guy!

For the past 4 years or so I've threatened, with each drunken episode, to leave--of course, his behavior changes for a little while until I drop my guard and it starts all over again. A week ago Saturday, I had gone out of town with my youngest daughter, leaving my teenage daughter at home, hoping he would stay on the wagon. Obviously, he didn't or I wouldn't be here. Long story short, our oldest was not only afraid for her father but afraid of him as well. I felt helpless, 3 hours away and I couldn't help her. I felt like a complete failure. She went to a cousin's house and was very safe. The next day, he didn't remember anything he had said to her, including that it was her fault that the family would be "breaking-up". Even though he has apologized, I tried to explain to him that he can never take those words back! You can not un-ring a bell and she will always hear those words.

I started looking for a place to rent....and told him so. I've found and been approved for a 12 month lease on a nice condo. My mind was made up. Key word WAS...why is it they can make us second guess our decisions? He sounds so sincere with his promises.

I think the fact that it's a 12 month lease makes it harder--a year is a long time. In order to do this, I will be walking away from my marital home, my mortgage...the home itself is not that important to me, but I worry about finances. We really should sell our home. Not only do we have marital issues, we have an ARM and our mortgage has skyrocketed to almost $3900.00.

I know that my focus needs to be on my girls and myself and his needs to be on his recovery. I honestly feel that we can best focus on healing separately. After all, we could reconcile--or would we?

Any advice, encouragement or slaps in the head most appreciated.

Kat
Old 06-24-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Kat,

I feel for you. You and I are in a similar position. So, I'll say to you what I'd hope others would do for me. Girl, you couldn't get bigger red flags than the ones that are waving right in front of your face right now.

Your daughter had to leave the house because she was afraid of her own father. That's a biggie!

You say you've threatened after every drunken episode. So, that tells him, he'd better lay low for a bit, but hey "she'll never actually leave, she never does".

I'd say a year away would be the best this you could do for your kids and yourself. (and your AH, he needs tough love, not endless ultimatums which never actually come to anything).

All the best. I'm sure more knowledgeable people will be along shortly.

Lorrae
Old 06-24-2008, 06:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Lorrae. I know it's the right thing to do--it just sounds so good when he makes those d@mn promises.

To know that I let my daughter down breaks my heart and I know that my first responsibility is to my children.

Taking this step is huge!
Old 06-24-2008, 07:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi,

I'm not married, but I know (kinda) what it is to love someone so much, you really hope they can/will keep their promise to stay sober.

I ALSO know what it is to see your parent intoxicated, and to have that imprint on your brain forever.

You know, after my latest experience, I made a promise to myself to protect myself. I decided to get very serious about my choice in men. I decided that I'm not only looking for a partner, or husband, I'm looking for the future father of my children. For me, that raises the bar WAY HIGH.

There's NO WAY IN HELL I'd allow my kids to live through the hell of addiction, like what I had to.

You know, it's a curious thing, but women will put up with the worst crap for themselves, but we (usually) will move hell and high water to protect our children, and to be the best for our kids.

I send wishes for you to be strong in your move forward.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needtolearn View Post
There's NO WAY IN HELL I'd allow my kids to live through the hell of addiction, like what I had to.
AMEN, to that statement. I know many, many, many adult children of alcoholics and you folks who stick it out do so with the best of intentions, but your kids are emotionally damaged. They end up with A's themselves. They end up in counseling for depression. They end up on antidepressants. They end up traumatized.

If I choose to stay with an A, that is my own decision. When children are factored into the equation, I think it is best to seriously consider removing them from such an atmosphere - JMO.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Please! When you are second guessing yourself and wanting to listen to those empty promises of his, remember your children! They deserve to live without fear of their parent. If you cannot do this for yourself, do it for them.

I remember very well what it was like growing up in al alcoholic family. I didn't want to come home. I lived dreading seeing my parents drunk. I knew that when he was drunk, my father would pick the vicitm of the day (mom, me or one of my brothers) and that meant verbal and physical abuse. I remember hating myself because I knew I must be responsible, must be a bad kid. I remember thinking that there must be something wrong with me for the parents I loved to abuse me or neglect me. I am still unlearning these things at 53. Its at least part of the reason I ended up marrying an alcoholic.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all so very much! I know this is the right thing to do. I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. This is the first time I've been able to find a new place to live in our area that I can afford and that is in a nice neighborhood. And the fact that the landlord will take a chance on me with my current credit score--which by the way has gone from AWESOME to the toilet over the past 2 years. I have a great job--I used to work out of my home--with supportive managers. Everything is falling into place.

We had a half decent conversation last night. As always it turned to me and what my issues are--in his mind I'm having an affair, after all that must be why I want to leave.

I know I have my own issues and to work on them and my relationship with my girls, I need to remove us from the current situation.

I have my lease in hand...this weekend I will take it to my parents so that they can sign it. Imagine that--I'm 43 and for the first time in my life I need a co-signor. Used to be a time when I was the one helping out everyone else, including my parents.

My strong personality is part of the non-working equation. My personality didn't allow for him to be as strong he needed to be. I was always there to take charge and "fix" things.

As an added note: I DIDN"T grow up in a family with substance abuse...noone drank in our family. I think that's part of the reason it has been so hard for me to comprehend. To those survivors with AP's, thanks for sharing how it affected you in your youth and as adults...I needed that perspective.

Anyway--say a prayer for me that I find the strength to sign the lease and move on.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I personally would not let this chance to escape go by.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My exah also was just sure that my asking him to leave was due to an affair. I've heard that a lot on this forum. I guess it's denial on the A's part that the reason for separation/divorce is due to their addiction rather than ANY other disgruntlement.

You sound like a great mom with a good attitude. Stay strong in your study of codependency and realize that letting go and allowing your husband to face the consequences of his own behavior is a good thing. Also, teaching your daughters that this is not the way a wife and mother should be treated is great modeling for them. Keep coming back, Kat. Especially when you're feeling shaky in your decision. I believe you are on the right path for yourself and your daughters, and paving the way for your husband to see what choices he needs to make more clearly.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

To this day, my xAH has convinced himself I left him for another man. (Heck, I haven't even begun to consider dating!) He refuses to recognize he and his behaviors led to my decision. He refuses to admit to being an alcoholic. He continues to live in victimhood. I pray that someday he can admit and work on his issues but his fantasy world has no effect on me.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I'm not telling anyone anything they don't know first-hand, but sober he is a great guy!
I used to believe this, too, but then I redefined my definition of "great." Alanon and SR helped me see the light.

it just sounds so good when he makes those d@mn promises
Yeah, but he's a CHRONIC liar.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Kat53165-

To know that I let my daughter down breaks my heart and I know that my first responsibility is to my children.

The first responsiblity is to yourself. I know this sounds hard/harsh. But until you start taking care of yourself there will not be anyone there to take care of the kids.

I wished I had gotten into my recovery (Al-Alon) when I first realized that my RAH was in deed an alcholoic. I think my life as well as our childrens lives would be a whole lot better today. They have been through so much "verbal" abuse that I should win the bad mom award. I had always been taught once you're married, you should stay married.

Looking back, had I gotten in recovery back then would I still be with him? Probably not. Do I regret staying with him? At times, when I am in my self pitty mode, like I have been today. But with looking and reading post, I am getting back to myself.

Thanks to all that post here, for your words of wisdom.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kat53165 View Post
My strong personality is part of the non-working equation. My personality didn't allow for him to be as strong he needed to be. I was always there to take charge and "fix" things.

As an added note: I DIDN"T grow up in a family with substance abuse...noone drank in our family. I think that's part of the reason it has been so hard for me to comprehend.
This describes me to a T. For so long, I was the one who took care of everything for my STBXAH. He never had to face a consequence since I was always bailing him out of trouble or taking over because I thought I knew best. It's important to recognize your part in this dance. It's important to protect yourself and your kids. That's really all you can do. For me, having STBXAH move out was actually the best thing for our relationship. He sees the kids when he's sober and actually available to them (rather than being tired all the time and working late). He's being a better dad now than he was when he was here. Like you, I believe there are no coincedences in life. God is putting red flags in front of you to help you figure out a way to do things differently instead of continuing to "dance" with AH. Good luck to you with your decisions. It's hard, but it can and will get better if you change YOU.