new and need advice

Old 06-24-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new and need advice

Hi everyone! I am a new comer to this site But I am trying to reach out to people that can understand what I am going through...... I have been dating a alcoholic for 2 years now, he recently has with the help from his family and I entered the betty ford center and has been there for about 45 days he is doing really well there. I'm a really happy he is doing so well, but I am also so scared for when he gets out,everything is going to be so different. I know we love eachother but I'm just so scared. I would love to hear some advice and or stories from others in my situation.. Thanks
Old 06-24-2008, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

but I am also so scared for when he gets out,everything is going to be so different.
When my son went into treatment I HOPED things would be different! One of the things stressed by the counselors at my son's treatment center is that everyone in the family should be seeking their own recovery. They stated that the chances of a relatioship SURVIVING is far greater if all parties are changing together by seeking recovery. Those of us who are co-dependent have behaviors that enable the alcoholic to continue drinking. It's very important that we understand our own behaviors and modify them appropriately.

So......I would gently suggest that you learn all you can about alcoholism and co-dependency so that you can grow with your SO.

Welcome to SR. This is a wonderful place. We are all here to support each other. You are not alone.

gentle hugs

Last edited by Kindeyes; 06-24-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: I can't put together a coherent sentence.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks for that ..... I actually attended the family program there a about a month ago... it was a wonderful experiance! I have found a Al anon meeting at a church right across the street from my house.... I have also read Codependant No more. I'm just looking for some more people to share with I guess.... I'm pretty lonley without him here....He is my best friend and I miss him....
Old 06-24-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ps....kindeyes I was born in Washington
Old 06-24-2008, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, you found a wonderful place...I agree with Kindeyes, you need to educate yourself as much as possible. My husband was in recovery when I met him, but what I did was educate myself as much as possible about the disease...I also went to some open AA meetings which helped me understand what he was going through and the struggles he dealt with daily. That helped a lot...the people here are wonderful and you can find all kinds of information...
Old 06-24-2008, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have no experience living with someone working at recovery since my xAH still refuses to admit he is an alcoholic. But I sure do understnad you being concerned about what will happen when your ABF gets out of rehab. Hopefully he will be established in his recovery and ready to face the next set of challenges. From where i sit, the best way to face your concerns is to work on your own skills and tools for being involved with a recovering alcoholic. That way, whether he continues down the road to recovery or does not, you can be as prepared as possible for whatever comes your way. empowering yourself is the best way to help him as well as yourself I think.