Letting Go

Old 06-23-2008, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Letting Go

Hi, I'm new here. Just wanted to say what a great bunch of people you are. I've been helped by some of your posts and reminded of what I need to do to take care of myself! Thank you!

My son completed bootcamp three weeks ago and has relapsed. I love him and am now back to trying not to 'worry' about what 'might' happen.

I'm glad I found this site.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome stillabluesky...I know how you feel my son is my addict. He is currently in his third try at treatment. It is truly a rollercoaster ride. I keep telling myself that it is all about his choices and I can't control what he does. Although it still does not stop me from worrying about him. I am just thankful today I know where he is and that he is safe. The people here are wonderful and have great advice.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Greetings from another mom here. There are quite a few of us here in "Mom Squad"
who have and continue to walk the same path as you.

My son is in his 3rd rehab...at age 24. This one is a yr. long program.
He has been there 17 weeks with several bumps in the road. But for today
he is still there after relapsing this weekend.

It is a marathon not a sprint. It is key that we take our own path to recovery. For me it has included several yrs. of al-anon. We must not let their life overshadow our own and or diminish our potential for a joyous way of living.

Keep sharing here to let us get to know you.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, another mom here. My daughter is 22 and a heroin addict. Spent the last 2 and a half years out there with her addict boyfriend. Finally decided to give rehab a try and is currently in a halfway house doing well. This forum literally saved my life as there are no face to face meetings close to me. Hugs, Marle
Old 06-23-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Welcome, Stillabluesky, another mom here, with 24 yr daughter(alcohol and drugs)
My Ad has been at it for 8 years, has not yet sought treatment. Through SR and Al-anon, I have found my own recovery and my sanity, and I am writing my story.
I m glad you have found us, and I look forward, to you, sharing your strength, hope and experience.
hugs, grateful
Old 06-23-2008, 01:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
BBD

Welcome~~~~from another mom. My son went to rehab last summer and was doing wonderfully for a while and then relapsed....He tells me h'es doing well but until I he walks the walk of a sober person I'm always in doubt!! His Drug is cocaine~~~just last week I told him I needed some distance for a while until he gets clean all the way. It's hard but I've learned so much through therapy and alanon ~ and here of course that I can get tougher now than I was a year ago....read around here and post when you need support cause this site is the best..Smiles, Bonnie
Old 06-23-2008, 01:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I appreciate all your warm welcomes. I know that I'm not alone, although I wish no one had to go through this stuff.

My son has been to rehabs, half-way house, jail and is now on house arrest. One would think that he has been through enough, (I know we sure have), but obviously not.

He is married and has a precious 20 month old son that I have been taking care of daily while his mommy works. I can't find my son's path for him, but I can make a difference in my grandson's life. It's not easy, but he is the innocent one.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm another Mom - who started this journey in 1983. Two addict sons, went to rehab at 14 and 15 years old, one stayed sober and clean and has 25 years and is 40 years old. The other has been in and out - but now has 11 months at 41 years old.
The blessing is that I found Alanon - and a life for myself whether or not they get sober. I made the changes necessary to be happy. And now that they are both sober I can enjoy them - and not be the nagging goofball crazy nonrecovering mother I used to be. (Oh sometimes it sneaks in and I want to ask about how many meetings are you going to, what was the topic, are you calling your sponsor ... but then Alanon kicks in and I think "this is not your business".)
Glad you posted - there are lots of us out here.

Love in recovery,
Jody Hepler

Old 06-23-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you are here...there is excellent support. Hope you have found a chance to try some Naranon or Alanon meetings too. It made all the difference in the world to me.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Hi, glad you found us.

I'm the mom of a drug dependent son, age 34....
Old 06-23-2008, 07:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome -

My husband is my connection with addiction. He had a 20 year history of crack abuse prior to stopping almost 3 years ago. The road to recovery is a process and I know from what RAH has said that each time he was in rehab he learned something that ultimately led to his staying sober. The process can be so difficult and I believe that is why Alanon, Naranon, this forum, recovery literature is so helpful. We have to learn how to remain focused on our own lives while at the same time loving someone with this horrible illness. I've been posting here for over 3 years and I treasure the many friends that I have made here. I'm glad that you have found us but am sorry for the circumstances. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Welcome!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mom, AD age 24. Glad you found us, this place helped save me as well.
Keep coming back, lots of good people who care and understand.
susan