Notices

New to Sober Recovery Group

Old 06-23-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to Sober Recovery Group

:atv

Hello to all !!
I just ran into this site today as I was seaRching around for some helpful insight on a soon to be upcoming life event....
I am a recovering addict of just about everything..It does not matter I get addicited to almost evrything in some way..I have a very strong addictive personality...However I have been workin on my sobriety very hard and have managed to remain sober since August 2004. I will say it is one of the hardest life journey's to overcome.But I am tahnkful for every waking moment because it has made me who I am today...I am proud to ba a addict in recovery..Being an addict does not mean yu are weak..An addict is a very strong person one of the strongest..Think back to how hard you had to work to be able to be an addict...Then how much harder it is to become a recovering addict....

Ok back to my point in landing into this site...
I am a 7 almost28 year old female and am pregnant with my 2nd child I know I have to have a c-section and I am super scared not for the surgery...But for the idea of having to take pain meds..I have talked to the Dr about it and he seems to think I am goin g to have to take something. I need some advice..Has anyone ever been thru a surgery after having been clean fr sometime..And if so how was the meds? Was there any meds that were suggested to use that are non-narcotic...
:praying

PLease get in touch...
Sommerrae
Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Welcome to SR

People who have been through such will show up and give answers of what has worked for them. Be sure to check back and you will get some good insight I am sure.
Talking it other with your Dr is a good thing. Good to see you are doing things right.
Congratulations on the new blessing coming into your life.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had two C sections, long before I was an addict.

But, absolutely no pain meds were given to me to take home. For the first three days in the hospital I was given injections of Demerol. That was it. After that, only tylenol or aspirin was given in the hospital and no prescription to take home. And, the pain was not at all difficult. Having a baby is a happy time and I think you will be surprised at how wonderful you feel.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations on your sober time
and on your blessing to be!

I have no experience to share ...
but wanted to say Welcome to our community.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to our recovery community.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Sommerrae,

Interesting you should ask. I have been thinking about the same thing. Less serious surgery - I'm haveing outpatient umbilical hernia repair this Thursday. My therapist said after her C-section, she was sent home with a stronger dose of either Ibuprophren or Acetaminophen, I can't remember which. But apparently, you can take more than what's actually the normal dosage, at least for a short period of time. And since they are not narcotics, you don't, obviously, get addicted.

I know acetaminophen can be pretty bad for you in high doses - I think it can damage your liver. So maybe it was Ibuprophren.

Oh! Also, another thought comes to mind. When my children were little and had very high fevers that weren't being controlled by tylenal (Acetaminophen) or motrin (Ibuprophren) alone, the doctors would do a combination of the two meds - like take Ibuprophren and then 2 hours later take Acetaminophen and then 2 hours later take Ibuprophren again, etc. This way they work together. Maybe you should ask your doc about that?

Another idea that comes to mind is to have your husband give you your dose when you need it and after a few days, taper off and when you are down to just a few, have him destroy the rest. And then stick to tyelnal or motrin...

Good luck to you! And I'm glad you're here at SR - good place to be.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello, welcome here!

Congrats on your second baby! I have no experience with pain killers, but I will be here to hear about your progress..

Heavy
Old 06-23-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Congrats on your sober time and baby 2!

Welcome to SR! Glad that you found us

Others will be around to share with you....
Old 06-23-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 06-23-2008, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Sommerrae. Welcome to SoberRecovery I'm glad you found us. I have no experience to share on surgeries or having babies. But Congratulations on your 2nd baby.

Barb