Notices

hello to my new smart friends

Old 06-22-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing great as far as taking care of your recovery.

I'm not a musician, but I know that early recovery involved a lot of changes in my life. I had to look at my life with a totally different perspective.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Evan, great support and advice for you here,
best wishes.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome -and kudos for working so hard at your recovery.

I can't help you with the music - but suggest that after you get some more clean time, your inspiration and creativity will return. If you keep using/drinking, you might just lose that job anyway - never mind your life. Keep your focus on recovery as best you can, and trust that things will unfold as they are meant to.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
endless delerium

ive had my own creative down point since im not using anymore... i sew. i sew really cool, hippy, punk, patchwork stuff. but since quiting...(granted im all of 6 days clean) i cant even think in that frame of mind.
to bad too, cause that there was a money maker.
all i can say is i hope my creative ideals come back.. and yours as well.... i can only figure our talents lie within us and not with in our drugs of choice.

(course if you look at trent reznor......his music was soo much better when he was depressed and high.....now hes on meds for his depression and stopped using.....his music lacks something.....pain.)
Old 06-22-2008, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I thought my painting under LSD was sooooo fantastic
until I came back to this world.....

Welcome to our recovery community
from one ex blackout drinker to another.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
believer

Recovery it's a life change. Your music feels the change cuz it comes from the deepest of you. This might just be a stepping stone to a new vision of music. An artist will never lose the need of expression, it might look like the urge is asleep, but it's there, growing. And whatever shape it takes, it marks every part of your life.

Whatever happens, you keep evolving and you can keep getting better. You know it will start pouring out of you...
Old 06-22-2008, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for introducing yourself in the forums evan, and welcome to SR. I'll see you around.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Evan, thanks for sharing your story here. I'm beginning to take my first steps in confronting my alcohol problem so admire your success a great deal. I'm a guitarist, but because I've been so sodden with drink, I barely pick it up anymore. I'm hoping that sobriety down the line will inspire me to love it again.

Are you a songwriter too? Could you put some of your thoughts about recovery to music? May be therapeutic, I dunno.

Keep going, dude.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Evanrudenyc,
Hit that music as hard as you used to hit the rocks man. Don't look back, take advantage of your desire to be clean (Which is clearly evident in your story) Take advantage of all of your support, be in control of yourself. This could be a great opportunity to create some really wonderful music when the time is right..

Welcome!

Heavy
Old 06-24-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Evan we are all different, although I am not a musician nor an artist there are many things over my years of drinking that alcohol slowly took from me, looking at it now I see that I actually gave those things away to drink.

I am 21 months sober and just recently have found the desire to return to many things I enjoyed before alcohol took me over.

My advice would be to take things as they come, in thier own time, be patient, focus on recovery for now, the rest will come.

I would imagine as a musician that your creativity will return with a new focus, it could be on recovery, it could be on your past, or a combo of the 2.

Welcome to SR, it will all come with time if it is meant to be, time takes time so just be aware that nothing happens overnight, just keep working at your recovery as hard as you are now and things will work out.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Evan, Welcome. I am new here but I am also a musician. I have a hard time writing anymore and the worst is trying to start something up again. I am in the middle of starting another band but am dreading getting on stage again without the drink. My creativity it seems has gone downhill since stopping the drinking. I haven't written much lately but am going to try again in the near future. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

Originally Posted by Hudstar View Post
Hi Evan, thanks for sharing your story here. I'm beginning to take my first steps in confronting my alcohol problem so admire your success a great deal. I'm a guitarist, but because I've been so sodden with drink, I barely pick it up anymore. I'm hoping that sobriety down the line will inspire me to love it again.

Are you a songwriter too? Could you put some of your thoughts about recovery to music? May be therapeutic, I dunno.

Keep going, dude.
I was thinking along these lines. What about writing your music about recovery and the hell we have all been to ?
Royalties can be paid to:........................................
Old 06-24-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

yo ev dawwggg! glad you made a post introducing yourself on here. Check out the substance abuse forums also man , lot of great support and wonderful people over there....talk to ya soon bro be safe~~
Old 06-24-2008, 07:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR HawkeyePierce
Old 06-25-2008, 05:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

All I ever did from a kid until I started making drugs my life was draw..sculpt..crafts...spme painting. But that never stuck with me too much.
But I would always draw portraits. And I can say I was pretty dam good at it.
Alot of my work in school was always on display and won prizes.
I was suppose to go onto some kind of art school. But never did. Instead I went to the school of hard knocks in the street.
I dont have really any clean time. And when I have hada month or so have struggled with findint that passion and creativity I once had.
I feel like my imagination has been wiped away.
I cant even attempt to pick up a pencil right now.
I dont plan on making a career out of this now. But I do miss the endless flow of idea that use to come from these hands growing up.
MAybe when we do get more clean time we will find that drive again.
Keep up the great job on your recovery.
And like Nuno said.
You could find yourself with a whole new vision and style.