Notices

Your Perfect rehab clinic???

Old 06-21-2008, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Your Perfect rehab clinic???

For me it would last 6 months. I'd have a nice room that no one would enter, with a great complex all around, complete with a warm swimming pool, a big lounge area with massive HD TV screens everywhere, pool tables, pinball machines etc all around. Of course, with waiters on hand to serve whatever meal you want. And there would be a mini personal shopping mall, for whatever clothes and stuff you wanted.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

a place that worked and got me sober and grounded in sobriety
Old 06-21-2008, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One that is free of charge and has unlimited openings for anyone seeking help.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I see we have some Imaginative people here

Of course unless you're rich you can't afford this. It's probably not good for you being handed on a plate anyway, cause life is not like that but jesus get some life in you!!
Old 06-21-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OK joe...i'll play

it would be located in Tahiti. It would of course be free and selective (choosing me of course) so there wouldn't be too many people there. Only men who think I am awsome would be allowed in. There would be back massages twice a day. A whole wing would be dedicted to sexy shoes. All the food would be gormet.

Puppies would be allowed to come with you and would attend puppyanon and puppy therapy to help them adjust to their new sober owner.

You would get to stay as long as you wanted and come back for visits as often as you liked.

Oh yeah...and they would work and all people would stay sober.

:bounce
Old 06-21-2008, 08:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
God's Kid

In New Zealand

When I got sober (1998) we had treatment centres here where one could stay for up to 18mnths but most of them are closed now, bar one which is known in recovering circles as a 'work farm'. I.e. they get all the worst of the worst who've been everywhere else and get them to work on a farm since they don't know what else to do with them.

The thing about long stays in rehab is they can cause an individual to become dependent on the centre itself, rather than on a HP so once they've left the centre they're back on the booze etc...

At one meeting I use to go to there was this guy who was brought to the meeting by a treatment centre since he was a resident but the diff between him and other residents was he'd been there 10 years or something silly. He couldn't stay sober outside of rehab.

A friend of mine use to say that if treatment centres 'worked' then they'd churn out alcoholics and addicts who didn't want to drink and use. I think this was his smart alec way of saying treatment centres weren't the solution.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wasn't able to get sober till I went to treatment. I was just to sick and in it to do it without. I actually know alot of people for whom treatment worked. and yes...I know many for whom it didn't work.....I guess it takes different things for different people....glad there are lots of options
Old 06-21-2008, 08:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mine would be where I went to sleep and got a visit from 3 Ghosts.
The Ghost of Drinking Past would show me the horrors of my life due to Alcohol and the damage I had left in my path.
The Ghost of Drinking Present would show me the current suffering of my friends and my Family. It would high lite the Crying Kids and the Crying Wife. The Disillusioned Employer and the Snickering Neighbors and the relentless Bill Collectors.
The Ghost of Drinking Future would probably show my death. It may show a Car Accident, a Suicide, a Shooting, cirrhosis, or a slow Death in a Jail Cell.
It would show my funeral with nobody attending and a grave with no marker. It would show my Family saying I'm glad that SOB is finally gone.
Then I would find myself begging for another chance as the alarm clock rang.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It would be long term, like boot camp- but also working on deep seeded emotional issues.You do volunteer work to earn your keep, and there is nothing but raw reality all around you, and nowhere to run.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

it would be in my own home, every day, to keep me sober every day.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

perfect rehab....
where I'd walk in and say "hi, I'm Krista and I'm an addict" they'd say..."hi Krista, here's your magic pill"
I'd take it - forget everything that happened, start over with no desire to ever use again.

If anyone comes across a place like that - please let me know. you know where to find me
Old 06-22-2008, 01:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
"Meow. No, I am not a pup!

A semi-tropical island (not too hot) with a buddhist monastry on it, where my dogs and I can spend our days walking, meditating and eating healthy vege food. (OK, so the dogs probably wouldn't actually meditate but then they don't drink either!)
Old 06-22-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Somewhere that existed outside of time and space so that I could go and not get fired for missing work and so my kids wouldn't miss me either...I guess not in this dimension, huh...?
kj
Old 06-22-2008, 10:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My rehab near Washington DC was pretty close to perfect, we called it 'Club Med for the head'. Extremely nice facility, plenty of staff, an environment really suited toward working on your problems.

It is closed now but I fall back on a lot of the principles I learned there.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
sct

NA on the beach. So far- NA is the only thing that's worked for me. I was pretty pissed off and unpleasant in rehab, and that was at a fairly nice facility. I don't do so well 'having' to stay in one place.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
mle-sober

My perfect rehab:

On a warm, coastal site. Clean. (No bad smells.) Excellent, fresh, low-cal food. Private room with movie selections and cable. Indoor warm pool and hot tubs, of course. Cabins where my family can come and stay for extended visits.

A place that feels joyful and focused.

Physical, work-out therapy with a trainer included.

All female staff and doctors/therapists. Some gay guys would be fine too.

A program that challenges and pushes me to look at the issues in my past - that really helps me address them. Some intensive small group work and some intensive individual work. Also some good family therapy. No groups or therapist that feel like a waste of my time. (Hey - it's my fantesy, right?)

About 30 days in length but longer if needed. And follow up one-week visits once a year with my family in the cabins on the beach.

That wouldv'e been great.

My real rehabs:
Stinky. Invasive of physical privacy. Terrible food. Lot's of wasted time. Doctors that don't seem to care or pay much attention. A male therapist who came on to me. Groups that are run poorly. Stinky. Did I say stinky?

And the funny thing is I'm so grateful for the rehab's I've had (2) because both have helped me so much. Even though they lacked appeal and weren't pleasant places to be.

Funny thread!
Old 06-22-2008, 01:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

My wife and kids with me.

Lots of open space to grow our own fruit and vegetables.

Free passes to everyone in SR.

Regular games of football with only unfit overweight over 35's playing and nobody's allowed to be better than me cos its my ball and I'm going home if my team don't win.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

bahahhaha Fizzy

you can win the first round, after that it's fair game.....
Old 06-22-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Well Krista, if your not willing to let me win I hope your at least going to share your magic pills with me ?
Old 06-22-2008, 02:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Well Krista, if your not willing to let me win I hope your at least going to share your magic pills with me ?
she had supposedly flushed those, its funny her dream rehab would include pills hahaha

Sorry Krista had to do it

A good rehab would be one that held no more than 20 residents and had a strict structured curriculum with no tolerance for BS or distractions yet balanced with some free time to recreate. Had a recovered addict for there full time Doctor who is well versed in dual diagnosis and judicial use of medications, a recovered addict for the director, a recovered addict and resident therapist available 24/7 A good chef with a healthy menu tailored to the patients needs(weight gain/loss/diabetic etc) My own room and bathroom, a personal masseuse (female)and a jet.