Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

She was just arrested for DUI, how long will she be incarcerated?

Old 06-20-2008, 04:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

She was arrested in nov. 05 for DUI, and is currently on probation for family violence.. Just got arrested today for another DUI.... I'm thinking she's gonna get 6 months mandatory prison time, but I don't know?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

depends on the state. I know my XABF just did 4 months in the county jail for probation violation. I did violate probation, got a month in county jail and time in a diversion center (like a work-release program, but still locked up) until my $2500 fine was paid off.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-20-2008, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If she's on probation for family violence, would a public intoxication charge be a violation for probation... She was charged with public intoxication and not DUI.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I suppose you could speculate all sorts of things. The judge will decide the sentence. I know you must be antsy, but all you can do is wait and see what happens. Best wishes.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Was she also behaving in a disorderly fashion - yelling, kicking trashcans, trying to start fights with others? I assume somebody called the police on her. Probation violations are serious, and this sounds like one to me. It depends on the judge. Like I said, if she was just getting loud and obnoxious it's one thing; if she hit somebody else or threatened to hit, that's another matter ...
Old 06-20-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by prodigal View Post
Was she also behaving in a disorderly fashion - yelling, kicking trashcans, trying to start fights with others? I assume somebody called the police on her. Probation violations are serious, and this sounds like one to me. It depends on the judge. Like I said, if she was just getting loud and obnoxious it's one thing; if she hit somebody else or threatened to hit, that's another matter ...
Her car died and she was on the side of the highway... She was intoxicated but they didn't give her a DUI, only a PI... Maybe a very lucky break for her. But then again, that may be a probation violation and prison time. I just don't know.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Concentrate on today. There is no reason to worry about what the judge may or may not do (that's easy for me to say, huh?).

When my son got his DUI and was thrown in jail (oh did I mention that he took a swing at the arresting officer? and he refused the breath test? and he threatened the FAMILY of the arresting officer?), I was devastated. But I think it was a good thing. In Alanon they call it the blue light special. The A gets arrested and/or thrown in jail BEFORE (hopefully) they kill themselves or someone else. It is a blessing.

gentle hugs
Old 06-22-2008, 03:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I got a collect call from her tonight. She wants be to bail her out of jail... I'm thinking I should not do it... She's gonna hate me, but it's the best thing to do. She said, get me out and I'll go to rehab right away. But, I don't believe that... Heard it before.... I just think she's desperate to get out because she's craving alcohol.... If she stays in jail, she will be forced to dry out... And I didn't get her into this mess and I've been burdened enough as it is.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My ah got 2 dui's in 8 months time and was sent to a 30 intensive drug/alcohol program and then had 30 days jail time with work release.That was 8 years ago. Our car insurance was canceled and we had to get high risk which cost us 470.00 a month for quite a few years. He had only special hours to drive for a while. Needless to say, the treatment was just a thing he was forced to do and even thou 2 people died while he was there, he is still actively drinking and now driving as well. So now with the laws even tougher, if it happens again or when, it will be way worse.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would not bail her out. It wasn't until I was locked up and my dad said "I can't and I won't get you out of this" that I was forced to face my consequences.

As hard as it is, the best thing you can do is stay out of the way of her consequences. If someone had taken all MY consequences away, I would probably still be using.

She may "hate you" for a little bit....but if she chooses recovery, she will probably come back and thank you.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-22-2008, 07:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would not bail her out either. Part of stopping enabling is to allow the A to have the responsibility for the choices, actions and consequences. As an adult, she can deal with what comes her way.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

this is the perfect time to practice detachment. You can't save her from this one because she is on a path to destruction as you know. This legal intervention may be what saves her life.

It appears that if the pain of her consequeces are worse than the pain of being an alcoholic will she be ready to admit her life is unmanageable and seek an alternate way.

Stand back and get into recovery for yourself through al-anon, therapy, yoga, etc.
Don't let the stress of her predicament overwhelm you.
Sometimes the best course of action is to do nothing.