Notices

Hello Folks - Day 1

Old 06-18-2008, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello Folks - Day 1

Well, I sat here for the past five minutes trying to come up with a title for this thread and apparently, 'Hello Folks' is the best I could come up with. I guess I'm a bit nervous since I've never really sought help for my problem.

Where to begin? Let's see, well, my name is Joe and I'm currently a Sales Assoc. for RadioShack, Inc. I'm also a Computer Technician but there isn't much for that line of work in Vermont. I live with a chronic pain sufferer who would occasionally give me Oxycodone (5mg tabs) or Percocet when I asked for them. As you can imagine, since I never had to actively go out searching for pills, it was quite easy to become physically hooked. All I had to do was open a cupboard and there was a treasure trove of pharmaceuticals just waiting for me. I've been taking them for about a year and started to become addicted about 4 months ago when I started snorting them with friends.

There is good (I suppose it could be considered painfully good) news though. Today is the first day of my sobriety. It's been 24 hours since I took my last 10mg of Percocet, so I don't think I've felt the worst of the withdrawals yet. So far the symptoms I've had are: weakness, joint/muscle pain, restlessness, eye tearing, runny nose, excessive yawning (causes the eye tearing), constant cold chills. I have yet to suffer diarreah or nausia/vomiting, but since dinner my stomach has felt kind of wierd. I have a feeling I'll be suffering insomnia when I try to get to bed tonight. During dry periods I always had trouble sleeping. I've read some other posts of people not sleeping in over 100hrs, I sincerely hope that is not the case with me. The longest I've ever gone was 52 hours, and that was hyped up on Aderol (don't worry, I don't do that anymore).

I'll post again sometime tomorrow and update the status of things. Right now I'm using Benedryl to counteract the allergy-like symptoms, which is working quite well. But, ibuprophen is not working at all for the body aches. Can anyone suggest anything that will work better for the muscle/joint pain? My current inability to get comfortable is getting old fast.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Munky,

I'm so glad you found us. And, you've made a great decision to live a sober life.

You're right that things might get worse before they get better, but you can get through this. Have you talked to your dr to get his advice?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What about hot baths? Heat is often used in massage therapy so a hot/very warm bath might achieve the same relief. I can't tell you what else you can 'take' for your aches and pains, as I'm no doctor, and certainly wouldn't diagnose anyone long distance anyway. But maybe hot baths would help a bit.

You may want to talk to your doctor, or a doctor, as detoxing from pain meds can be dangerous besides just unpleasant. Please be safe when coming off the drugs.

There's also a substance abuse forum here with info in the 'stickies' at the top of the page.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Anna,

Well, I've been through counceling once for marijuana (was part of court diversion) and that was the only time I had ever told a professional about my problem with Oxy's. Back then, forgive the expression, it wasn't a problem. I wasn't physically addicted at that point so I thought it was nothing. When I started snorting them, everything changed. I'm not really a doctor person and try to avoid them unless I'm really sick (I don't have insurance).

After browsing the net for a while I kinda get the impression I'm not as addicted as some others may be. For the past 4 months or so I've been doing 50-80mg per day just so I could feel normal at work. I have a feeling I can handle this and I have devised a way to hopefully avoid the depression that comes along with the withdrawals. On the other hand, the longest I've gone without them during this period was 2 days, so I have no idea how I'm going to feel on Day 3 and beyond.

Anyway, I'd like to try and do this on my own. And by on my own, I mean no doctors and no prescriptions. If I have the courage and willpower to do that then perhaps I can do anything. Like, quit cigarettes (10 yr addiction on those). Well I'm going to stop babbling now, any tips and hints for dealing with the aches and pains would be much appreciated.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 06-19-2008, 12:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 06-19-2008, 05:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Glad your here.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR Munky! Glad that you found us

IMHO it is not about if others are worse off than us ..it is about what is worse with ourselves and finding a way through it.

Things other than addiction also get worse before they get better-

Glad that you made the choice to make your life better! Keep posting
and check out the other forums-The stickies at the top have a
wealth of information and there is a lot of support here!

And by the way "Hello Folks" is just fine!
Old 06-19-2008, 06:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi munky,
I can relate to your aches and pains, I am a recovering opiate addict. (oxys-percs and Hydro) The only advice I can give you is it gets better, but not before it gets worse. I totaly respect the fact that you want to do this without dr's and other meds, it is hard but I think there is a lot to be said for the white knuckle method. How else do you discover that you dont ever have to go through withdrawal again. Just remember that after this time you never have to withdrawl agian. By this I mean that you dont ever have to go back!!!!
My biggest advice is to find a meeting...whether it is Na or AA find one and do it fast!!! It is the open and loving arms of other addicts that truly saved my life!!! They know what you are going through and they are there to help you!!!!

Hang in there.... you are very brave and you can do this.... we are here for you!!!!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Munky and welcome!!