I am so sad~~

Old 06-17-2008, 08:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BBD

I am so sad~~

Last Friday when I spoke to my son I told him that I didn't want any communication with him till he has completely kicked his cocaine habit. Saturday~ a great friend died of lung cancer. Tonight we went to the funeral home and I walked out of there knowing I have to quit smoking. She was only 66 years old. Older than I am but still too young to die. Addiction is addiction~~~~~and I pray I can do this. I'm looking at this as I'm going to do it for Chris....If I can quit smoking~~maybe he can quit cocaine and we can get ahead with having a healthy family......Any suggestions here. Why is life so hard sometimes???? It really hit home seeing a good friend lying in a casket.... I am so sad!!!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do this - have you looked into Chantix? I've heard it works great. I'm so sorry about your friend. Hugs to you.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BBD View Post
Addiction is addiction~~~~~and I pray I can do this. I'm looking at this as I'm going to do it for Chris....If I can quit smoking~~maybe he can quit cocaine and we can get ahead with having a healthy family......Any suggestions here. Why is life so hard sometimes???? It really hit home seeing a good friend lying in a casket.... I am so sad!!!!!
I'm glad you wrote this. Part of my plan of action when I return home is to get healthy inside and out. Smoking is one of the things I need to quit doing to myself. As much as alcohol/ drugs are my ABF's pacifiers, smoking is my own. I can't quit smoking for my Boyfriend and look at it like "if I can do this, he can too". That would only set me up for more feelings of shame, guilt and inadequecies anytime I picked up a cigarrette. That by failing myself, I'm essentially failing him as well. I need to quit for my own health, my own well being.

Congrats for wanting to quit! Good luck!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
BBD

Hi Callie... I have chanix sitting in my dresser drawer....Its a year old. I had planned to quit when my son went into rehab last summer and was so nervous I didn't.....I have to stop worrying about him and thinking about me..But!!It's hard!! I wonder if the chanix is still good????/ LOl
Old 06-17-2008, 09:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think it's a good thing to start with the habits that go along with cigarette smoking. My husband is trying to quit. He is working on things like smoking after he eats, smoking when he gets in the car, smoking from the car to the (restaurant/theater, whatever,) smoking after sex, etc.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
BBD

Hi Zombiewife,,,,,So, no eating, no driving and no sex!! We can do this.......a little humor here. And soloist~~~I know I can't except Chris to quit if I do but its a good thought~don't you think?? Sometimes I have to joke a bit to keep myself sane. Night girls.Bonnie
Old 06-18-2008, 05:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I quit cold turkey from a 37 year pack or more a day habit. I had been thinking about it for a year and finally just picked a day and quit. It is still hard some days, but I just tell myself don't pick up the first one and so far it is working. My daughter, on the other hand, took up smoking about a year ago and when I visit her at the halfway house it is hard because I am surrounded by smokers. Before I quit, I started exercising and eating right and I think that that helped. Hugs and good luck, Marle
Old 06-18-2008, 06:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

big hugs to you. i am sorry for your lost. i know it is hard to quit any habit but you can do it if you really want to. good luck on that. we do have a quit smoking site here at s.r. also. lots of support from your friends here. your son has to work his program & want to work it for him to get clean. i pray for your son & mine every day.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am sorry about the loss of you friend. I also have AD who does coke and she hateed that I smoked.
I had to have hip surgery back in May and so one day about three months befor I ahd heard you have to quit smoking and I did just like that. I do not have an answer except I knew in my mind I had to and that was it. It is like 5 months now and Iam not smoking but I do want one. I am thinking also since my AD hates smoke and loves that I quit will put the two together. There is a smoking board here also, I think I wrote under someones Fear of quitting.
The funny part of this story is that NO ONE ever asked me to quit. So I could have contined with out a problem. But see I believe everything happens for a reason.
You can do it.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm very sorry for your loss BBD. The vast majority of lung cancer and COPD cases are from smoking, and they are so preventable. You will feel so much better once you quit! I imagine your Chantix is still good. Sometimes the meds get a little weaker over time, but since you have to taper up on it anyway -- nothing can be as bad as the poisons you are taking now in the smoke!

This thread is helping me be in touch with some anger. My ex who I loved dearly is a smoking addict, and you all have helped me see that everything she said to me around her smoking was exactly what every addict has said to you at one time or another. "I fully intend to quit." "I can quit whenever I want, I just don't want to" "You don't know the stress I'm under" "I'll quit as soon as things calm down at work" Quack quack quack!

This is good. I'm starting to tremble. I think some of this anger deserves to properly fall on the tobacco companies. They have PhD's engineering their products to be as addictive as possible. Nicotine dependence is as hard or harder to kick than crack. We ask our addicts to consider blocker meds when appropriate; that's what Chantix is. The FDA has shown it has by far the best track record of any other aid in quitting smoking. My ex would get up and leave the room whenever ads for it came on the TV.

Listen to the language we've programmed ourselves to use around smoking: oh, it's just a habit, no different than hanging dresses on the left, slacks on the right. Perhaps, but it is a compulsive habit, and it's the compulsivity that lies at the heart of all addictions. We didn't cause it, we can't control it, and we can't cure it. My ex refused to quit even when she would wake me in the dead of night coughing so severely her face would turn red as she gasped for air. She refused to quit even when it got so bad for me that I had to stand 10 yards away from her when she smoked outside, to keep me from choking and feeling like I would throw up. Hmmm, so why was it that I stayed with her for so long....? :codiepolice
Thank you for this thread. This is a progressive disease that ends in death. Sound familiar? I struggle with codependence and compulsive tendencies around food myself. I support you BBD in quitting, and I encourage you to ask for support. I continue to cheer on a fellow at work who has been trying to quit for several years. He is on Chantix now, and has cut back significantly. He's had one relapse after another, and I keep encouraging him to try again. It is so worth it.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was taking Chantix for a while too and think it's a great medication. I got down to about 5 smokes a day then all hell broke loose with AH and I quit taking the Chantix and bought cigarettes. Now that he's out of the house, I think I will try again.

I'm sorry for your loss too. Sometimes I feel like a hypocrite for complaining about Ah when I have my own little addiction going on to.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
BBD

I really don't think I was looking at smoking as an addiction until Sue (my friend)) passed away. What's the difference.....Drugs, smokes ???? My husband will be so thrilled if I can kick this habit. All of a sudden it just hit me that this is not what I want to die from....Today I have had 2 cigs and kicked myself for lighting them... 3 puffs and I put them out. I know I can do this ..I have to. Thanks for all the support. When I have time later I will check out the smoking section on here. Big hugs, Bonnie
Old 06-18-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hi BBD. I suggest Chantix. It helped me quit smoking. I also quit using cocaine several years ago. So I know how hard it is. Both require the same level of committment. You gotta want to quit more than you want to use. Chantix helped me deal with the cravings for cigarettes. It didn't take them away 100% but it gave me the strength to say no when I felt like smoking. good luck.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

(((BBD))

In all honesty...I stopped smoking crack, but haven't quit the cigarettes. I tried, but everyone I work with not only smokes, but smokes my brand and I was so irritable! It's pretty hard to get tips (I wait tables) when you want to kill everyone.

I've heard good things about Chantix...the only reason I haven't tried it is because of the cost and I read where it aggrevates some people's arthritis and that worried me.

I know I have to want to quit more than I want to smoke, and I'm not there yet....I need to get there, and your post just reminded me.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-18-2008, 07:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

I quit 2 weeks 6 days and 21 hours ago...and so far so good.
Still craving and hungry all the time....
BUT not really too bad...

Although I just want ONE cigarette, about 4 feet long!

Seriously, it's a terrible dirty unhealthy habit, and after 40 years of smoking a pack a day. I'm done. (that sounds positive)

AND...if I can quit anyone can....

I also cannot for the life of me understand why cigarettes are legal.
Someone is making BIG money off lung cancer and emphysema...

YOU can do this.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
BBD

I've smoked as long as you have Diane. Things are going OK..but I have had a few. Its better than my pack a day and I'm really going to do this. Tonight we're having company that we haven't seen in 20 years. I'm just praying that they have kicked the habit.......hugs, Bonnie
Old 06-27-2008, 04:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks BBD-keep up the good work

Hi BBD,
You replied to one of my posts and I felt a connection, I found this post about your quitting smoking. I have been taking Chantix for about 4 weeks and trying really hard to quit smoking.

My AS's name is Chris and I also had a crazy thought that if I can kick this, he can kick pain pills . . . but crap, I've quit drinking all alcohol and caffeine, now cigs too. More like I'm trying to be a martyr (sp?).

I know giving up smoking is a smart decision for me, so that's what I'm going with. Good luck to both of us in our attempts to be the best we can be!
Thanks,
Joan
Old 06-27-2008, 05:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

BBD,
I pretend I am smoking, you know like za za Gabor (spelled) dramatic and pretend I am inhaling deeply two or three times. If you notive the want comes in what I call waves every so often and then they are gone. I also have a plastic ciggie I hold because I think that is part of the habit.
Sometimes are harder then other and I struggle especially now I want a smoke so bad but...it passes and I feel good about each pass.
YOU can do this, yes it is a b---- to stop but you can. One hour, 2 hours and eat fruit or walk when you want a smoke it helps sometimes. Support sometimes helps just like comming here for support. I hope you make it....I smoke almost two packs toward the end because I was home and bored and on the computer I think that meant lite up!!!!
Behind you on this....
Old 06-27-2008, 05:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Still learning...and seeking!

I quit 8 years ago....after smoking forty years. Easy? nope...didn't expect it to be! I would want to light-up, every time I saw someone smoking...I truly missed smoking!

My plan...just don;t light up! It truly is that simple! Don't find excuses to smoke just 1 more...there is no good reasoning behind that thought....and. of course, that is not quitting!

Tapering off smoking, IMHO, is deceptive....and rarely works!

Honestly, I can't, truly, say that I feel better...not smoking....BUT....I can say that I smell better, my house smells better, my car smells better. my lungs look better...and I and my husband, (who quit at the same time) have saved mega bucks!
Old 06-27-2008, 05:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
rozied

Oh Boy, Are we in the same boat. I want my AS to quit coke and he says to me " Mom its hard, you can't quit smoking, only difference is your addiction's legal " But you know if smoking was illegal or had gotten me into all the trouble coke has gotten him in, I know I'd quit. That's way too high a price for me.