Notices

This Place Aint For Me

Old 06-17-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This Place Aint For Me

I hold nothing against anyone trying to get their behaviour patterns in sync with reality an sanity - ie not feeling crap all the time, wasting loads of money. I just deny the totally sober state of reality.

I'm a really shy guy, find it hard to talk to anyone much unless im drunk, and I bet that's pretty much unusual. So I don't negate all alcohol has to offer - except it is not a good or natural way to relax or to fit in to life.... It is totally wrong for me and I intend to kill it dead tommorrow after 4 years. I'll read and sleep and play video games whenever my brain is not totally dead.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Welcome to SR

Such things were not for me either till I tried it and learned I could do all the same things sober as I did drunk. I still can't dance and when drunk I thought I could but now I know better *LOL*
Oh I did learn to sing a little better...even better then I thought I could when drinking.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Joe.....Welcome!

Why not stick around for awhile?
We really appreciate our new members
and you will have many others to share with.

At least...Bookmark us in case you change your mind
...We are open 24/7

Best wishes on your new life...
Old 06-17-2008, 08:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I'm a really shy guy, find it hard to talk to anyone much unless im drunk, and I bet that's pretty much unusual.
Pretty much universal, more like.

Welcome to SR. I hope you find whatever 'reality' works for you.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome, JoeSoSo!

I drank to alleviate the shyness, too. Things seemed so much more fun for me when I drank, and even now -- I continue to associate drinking with any kind of date, dinner out, celebration or party. I guess it'll be a while before I can dispel the connection...

Anyway -- I'm really hoping you do intend to visit us again tomorrow and "kill it dead... after 4 years."
Old 06-17-2008, 08:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
Hi and welcome, JoeSoSo!

I drank to alleviate the shyness, too. Things seemed so much more fun for me when I drank, and even now -- I continue to associate drinking with any kind of date, dinner out, celebration or party. I guess it'll be a while before I can dispel the connection...

Anyway -- I'm really hoping you do intend to visit us again tomorrow and "kill it dead... after 4 years."
Ok... I'm rereading your post and everyone else's and I'm a bit confused... LOL (not unusual for me...) Not sure if you've been drinking for 4 years or sober for 4.... I'm also tired, so let's try this:

I'm STILL really hoping you visit us again tomorrow to let us know what you think and how you're doing.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm a really shy guy, find it hard to talk to anyone much unless im drunk, and I bet that's pretty much unusual.
you meant to say 'usual' right?

I'm shy - criminally so - and, knowing what I do now, I'd rather be shy than a drunken embarrassing bore, killing myself in the process

D
Old 06-17-2008, 09:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Joe

I'm curious as to your message title. You are saying that this place is not for you? It may help you and us if you try to explain why. I'm not dismissing your view, just trying to understand.

If there is a more diverse, accepting place on the internet, I sure haven't encountered it. People with no home, people with many homes. Young, old, healthy and ill. You are about as unique as a grain of sand on the beach here. I encourage you to give it a chance--give yourself a chance to gain what so many of us have from this community where nothing matters except for a desire to make things better. No one comes here because they got bored "surfing." We sought it out and we make it what it is.

Best to you. Hang around.

warren
Old 06-17-2008, 09:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Hey Joesoso. You drink to overcome shyness. I should hook you up with of my old drinking buddies. They drink to increase their IQ, their looks, their singing voices, their sports awareness and some even think that their driving skills vastly improve. So you just think that this place isn't for you. So far you're fitting right in. Complete with me not understanding one ounce of your post.

Glad you're here.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can more I ever dreamed of when sober..
Old 06-18-2008, 03:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

What you got loose Jo?
Old 06-18-2008, 05:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

give yourself a chance to gain what so many of us have from this community where nothing matters except for a desire to make things better. No one comes here because they got bored "surfing." We sought it out and we make it what it is.
Joe we all do things for a reason-I sought this place out because I was looking for help and I thought I lost all control of my life-(Funny I did looking back) We do what works for us to come to a better place in our lives.....

Maybe ask yourself why you logged on here to SR.......then ask yourself why not give it a try?

Best of luck to you in your search of whatever works for you! We are glad that you found and do hope you stick around! (Pssst....we are not all the bad! )
Old 06-18-2008, 05:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!
Old 06-18-2008, 12:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Me - same as Dee - terminal shyness! I found, though, that as my drinking years progressed I became more withdrawn and more of a loner in the end. The thing that I thought had brought me out of my shell began to do just the opposite - it isolated me from everyone. Hope you come back to clarify what you're about, Joe. No matter, we're here to listen and help you on your journey.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober and Loving It!

Hi Joesoso!

I am new here to. I understand all too well about the shyness one has especially if you were before drinking.

I have been dealing with anxiety & social phobia since sobering up. Kind of like discovering 'who I really am'. I have also sought out a therapist to help me with this. Personally, I am tired of living in this 'Prison within my head', and really want to live my life without the liquid courage.

Best of luck, and I hope to see you around the boards.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Joe,

I find it interesting that someone who doesn't think they have a problem they need help with would even venture into such a Forum. In fact, it sounds exactly like the kind of thing I would have done before I was actually willing to admit I needed help. Unfortunately, if my life experience is anything to go by, you are probably in for a lot of pain before you are ready to accept the help you need. My advice, in that case, is to drink as much as you want. Don't let anyone tell you to do anything you don't want to do. Hitting your bottom is an essential part of getting to recovery. Of course, I would be somewhat irresponsible if I didn't also mention the great risks you put yourself at if you have already lost control of your addiction and you continue to use either alcohol or drugs. I know a guy who woke up in jail after cutting someone in half with his vehicle. His hair turned white overnight. That's a true story. I know others, but they won't matter to you if you really don't think you have a problem. Good luck!

John
Old 06-18-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

T
Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

U V W

Welcome, and I hope you can talk to us. Everyone here really has been where you are right now. And maybe we can even help...if you let us.