I did it!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I did it!

I attented my first al anon meeting last night. And cried the whole way through. Did I say cry? I meant I wept uncontrollably...and used half a box of tissues during one hour. I don't like to cry. Never have and if I ever found myself with so much pent up emotion that tears were the only release, I'd only cry behind a locked bathroom door. So I was initially horrified last night and embarrassed to lose control so openly and freely in front of perfect strangers.

And then I got to a point when I realized that there was no pity or condemnation in any of the eyes that saw my pain. No one was telling me what I should or shouldn't be doing. No one was telling me what was "the right, smart thing to do". There was only acceptance. I had this picture in my mind of what the meeting would be like before I even got there. A bunch of people sitting around crying, feeling unity in their misery, but it wasn't like that at all. It wasn't a pity party I had walked into, it was a life party. And all I had to do was show up and be present in the moment of it.

I'm not sure when, but sometime during that meeting those tears that fell were not caused by my sorrow or pain, but out of the freedom I felt at being able to let go. I felt drained when I left, but lighter in spirit. I know it's baby steps. I know when I have to go back to my house on Fri it will be hard. But I'm no longer fighting to save him. I'm fighting to save myself.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

((solost))
What a powerful post!
Thank you so much for sharing.

P.S. Those meetings keep getting better and better everytime I go!
Old 06-17-2008, 06:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

There was only acceptance. I had this picture in my mind of what the meeting would be like before I even got there. A bunch of people sitting around crying, feeling unity in their misery, but it wasn't like that at all. It wasn't a pity party I had walked into, it was a life party. And all I had to do was show up and be present in the moment of it.
How well that describes what Alanon is all about...learning to live well again.

I too sobbed through my first 3 meetings, but between the sobs I listened and I knew I had come to the right place. As Moose said, it just keeps getting better and better.

Hugs
Old 06-17-2008, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

solost,

Sounds like my first Al-Anon experience too. I want to personally thank you for sharing this.....I got a little teary just reading it. With joy, for you, for the freedom you're going to find.

Hugs,
GL
Old 06-17-2008, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BBD

Hi soloist~~I did the same thing....but its funny that crying is so excepted there....I think that maybe everyones first meeting is like that. Keep going back. The love in that room is so hard to explain but so healthy..Hugs and smiles, Bonnie
Old 06-17-2008, 09:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by solost View Post
I attented my first al anon meeting last night. And cried the whole way through. Did I say cry? I meant I wept uncontrollably...and used half a box of tissues during one hour. I don't like to cry. Never have and if I ever found myself with so much pent up emotion that tears were the only release, I'd only cry behind a locked bathroom door. So I was initially horrified last night and embarrassed to lose control so openly and freely in front of perfect strangers.

And then I got to a point when I realized that there was no pity or condemnation in any of the eyes that saw my pain. No one was telling me what I should or shouldn't be doing. No one was telling me what was "the right, smart thing to do". There was only acceptance. I had this picture in my mind of what the meeting would be like before I even got there. A bunch of people sitting around crying, feeling unity in their misery, but it wasn't like that at all. It wasn't a pity party I had walked into, it was a life party. And all I had to do was show up and be present in the moment of it.

I'm not sure when, but sometime during that meeting those tears that fell were not caused by my sorrow or pain, but out of the freedom I felt at being able to let go. I felt drained when I left, but lighter in spirit. I know it's baby steps. I know when I have to go back to my house on Fri it will be hard. But I'm no longer fighting to save him. I'm fighting to save myself.
Awesome post, thank you solost. I love how you put that: a life party! That is so true!

I'm glad you made it to a meeting. I have felt so much better since I started going (and coming to SR too). I am fighting for myself as well, and at least for now, I feel like I'm gaining ground.

Take care and keep going!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
On a tear

Let me be one of the first to jump on your bandwagon and yell... HALLELUIAH! Welcome, baby... and keep comin' back! Alanon was the best thing I ever did, and the only thing that made much of a difference. I wish you the best!