Notices

A Father's Day Memory

Old 06-15-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

A Father's Day Memory

Today is the Second Father's Day without my Dad.

I could choose to grieve all day today . . . feel sorry for myself that my Dad is no longer physically here on this earth to celebrate Father's Day with. But I refuse to do that. Instead, I'm going to spend the day thinking back on all the Father's Days in the past that will always be in my heart.

My Dad and I always shared a special bond. I was the middle child, I have an older brother and I had a younger sister who many of you know passed away from this disease of addiction in '91. Over the years, my Birthday, 6/21, fell on Father's Day several times. I remember how special this day felt to me . . . something that only my Dad and I shared. One particular year sticks out a great deal to me. My Birthday fell on Father's Day and I must have turned 8 years old that day. For weeks before my Birthday, I admired this Cinderella watch with the little pink leather band that was in a glass case at the local dime store. (telling my age here) I didn't just drop hints about wanting this, I wrote notes and "hid them" places where my Parents had to see them on a regular basis. I talked about nothing else but this Cinderella watch that I knew I would just die if I didn't get. A few days before my Birthday, we were in Grants and of course the first thing I did when we went in the store was run with my skinny legs to the jewelry counter to worship what my Cinderella watch. Much to my horror, it was gone. (Now mind you, I'm only a few days shy of my 8th Birthday, I'm not putting two and two together, not thinking that obviously my Parents were the one's who bought it.) Right at that very moment, my world ended. . . I just knew that I couldn't live without my Cinderella watch. I didn't care about my Birthday anymore . . . my bike lay in the garage neglected . . . my dolls were no longer fed or changed . . . I wouldn't be surprised if my Mom were to tell me I wore nothing but black for the next several days. On the morning of Father's Day and my Birthday, I really wasn't too excited about getting out of bed. The only thing that made me drag my weary behind out of bed was being somewhat excited about giving my Dad his Father's Day gift. That wonderful store, Grants, had a "men's perfume" is this quart size bottle that I just knew my Dad would love. I think I even spent two weeks allowance on it, so if it cost $2.00, I just knew it had to be the best. So I went in the kitchen to help Mom, Mike and Linda make Dad his customary Father's Day breakfast in bed. My reason for living was gone, but I went outside anyway to pick some flowers, (dandilions naturally) to put on Dad's breakfast tray anyway. On the way back to our Parent's bedroom, I popped in my bedroom and reached way under my bed in my secret hiding place to get the shoebox that was wrapped with the men's perfume in it for Dad. At least someone was going to have a special day. As I walked into my Parent's bedroom, the breakfast tray was being adjusted for Dad when he saw me and asked my Mom to go get another plate and silverwear. My eyes lit up as he pulled back the covers, said, "Happy Birthday Pumpkin" motioning for me to join him for breakfast. Seeing the jealousy on my brother and sister's faces was priceless. I milked this for all it was worth . . . until I remembered my Cinderella watch . . forever gone. When it came time to give Dad his presents, Mom had us kids step out of the room so she could get my Birthday presents out of the secret hiding place she thought us kids knew nothing about. I don't even remember what I got, but I was gracious and acted all excited about it being polite like my Parents had always taught me to be. When the gift giving was over and the breakfast dishes were being loaded into the dishwasher, my Dad asked me to hand him his slippers that were under the bed. When I pulled them out, I saw it. A little square gift wrapped in pink paper with a white ribbon tied around it. My hands shook as I tore into the paper. You guessed it . . . It was my Cinderella watch. As I looked up to MY Prince Charming I will never forgot the smile on my Dad's face when he said to me, "Happy Birthday Pumpkin, you didn't think I forgot, did you?"

I can still remember how proud I felt that Sunday morning as I sat in Church, next to my Dad like I always did. I kept looking at my beautiful Cinderella watch as I snuggled up even closer than usual to my Dad to smell that "men's perfume" that I just knew in my happy little heart that he wished came in an even bigger bottle so he could wear it forever. How did I knew this? I would ask him if he was going to wear some of the men's perfume to Church each week and he would tell me that he was saving it.

As I think back on all the Father's Days were shared together, that one by far sticks out in my mind the most. Dad and I always shared a special bond and even though he isn't here with me today . . he will forever be here with me in my heart and in my memories.

Happy Father's Day, Daddy.

I love you,
Judy

Old 06-15-2008, 06:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. This is my 3rd fathersday without my father and my first one sober. He died on June 7th, 2006. I loved him dearly.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Serenity,

What a beautiful memory!!! It brought tears to my eyes. Although I am lucky to still have my dad here with me, I so can appreciate the special bond between a father and daughter. Thank you for sharing a glimpse into your special bond with your dad.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Okay I need a tissue now. That was beautiful and thank you for sharing that very special moment with us. You made my day. Thanks again Serenity Queen. What a great Dad you had and one I am sure is still watching over you.

:ghug3
Old 06-15-2008, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So lovely, Serenity. After my father died in 1985 the thing that stopped my crying was the thought that he would never, ever have wanted to see me sad and grieving. He was all about protecting us and making our lives pleasant - not causing pain and tears. After that, I decided it was ok to miss him, but not to stay sad forever, & to remember I'd most likely be seeing him again. Just in case he was watching, I started to smile again.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow Serenity...what great memories you have! I only have a few of my Father, as I was only 6 years old when he passed away... What I do remeber is getting ready for church on Sundays. He would teach me how to put on a bow tie and make sure my hair looked right (no cowlicks stilling up). After church we would walk to the Itialian deli on the corner for fresh bread, salami & cheese. Once home Mom would start cooking meatballs and spaghetti sauce, which simmered all day. I would sneak in the kitchen for a taste and get chased out for climbing up on a chair to get to the stove! Memories!

Thanks for making me reflect back on good times...