I Lost a Dear Friend Today

Old 06-14-2008, 07:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I Lost a Dear Friend Today

As you can tell from my avatar I'm a huge fan of dogs. I love everything about them. Their loyalty. Their innocence. Their playfulness. Their zest for life. Their ability to live in the moment. Their eagerness to please. Their ability to forgive. Their faithful companionship. Their unconditional love. Their unique ability to see only the good in people.

I got my first dog when I was 6 years old and it was love at first sight. Since then I've shared my life with many dogs, each of them a cherished friend. Each one of them as wonderful as the first. I simply can't imagine life without them. I have so enjoyed being the caretaker of these wonderful creatures.

My current pack of dogs is an ecletic mix. There isn't a pedigree among them. They were outcasts of society and far from what's considered the cream of the crop. Dogs that were unwanted, untrained, unloved, and ultimately thrown away. That is, until I found them.

There's Paddy, the Chow mix who was afraid of thunderstorms and suffered panic attacks and ended up on death row at the county pound. Next came Luna, the Lab mix, who was a ferel dog--a dog who received no human contact and was so fearful of humans that she would likely live out her entire life in a no-kill shelter. A few months later, Mary, the German Shepherd who was fearful of men joined the family. Prior to that she lived behind a row of trash cans. Marty a Pug mix with a tendency to display food and object aggression was the last to join the group. He'd been abandoned on the side of the road.

Over the years, as each new pup joined the clan--various behavior problems in tow--Paddy's daily routine would temporarily change as I showed the new pack members the ropes and focused my attention on solving their behavior problems. True to her breed, Paddy was a patient, dignified, and benevolent pack leader. With Paddy as their example, eventually each renegade pup blossomed into a dream companion.

Paddy began having health problems a few months ago. She had surgery to remove a broken tooth, a growth on her eye, and a tumor on her side. Soon afterwards, she lost her vision. A month ago she battled vestibular disease and made a remarkable recovery. She was her old self again waiting eagerly for me at the door when I came home from work, playing with her toys, hanging out with me as I watched TV, and getting around remarkably well despite her blindness.

A few days ago, I noticed she was favoring one leg and thought her arthritis might be acting up, so I kept a watch on it. Yesterday, she began having difficulty with both legs. This morning she could no longer stand on her own. The vet suspected a back injury and said it might respond with treatment but at nearly 13 years old, it would be a difficult road back. So I made the difficult decision to end her suffering.

Someone once posted that relationships last for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. This one lasted nearly 13 years--Paddy's lifetime. I used to think that my purpose in life was to rescue homeless animals. Now I realize that the purpose of their lives was to rescue me.

I believe that I will be reunited with all the beloved dogs who shared their lives with me one day and what a reunion that will be. It will truly be puppy heaven. Until then, rest in peace sweet Paddy.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

I'm so sorry for your loss, FD...
I know what it is to lose a beloved pet; a part of the family.

My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. :praying

Shalom!
Old 06-14-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((FD))) Sorry for your loss. I will keep you and Paddy in my prayers.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear that. My dog Devo (whippet/lab cross - see left) means so much to me, I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose him.
Now he's in puppy heaven helping to lead all the dogs that didn't have someone as special as you to spend time with and work with them.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for such a beautiful, loving and also educational post, FD. Your Paddy sounds like she truly was a gift for YOU. Bless you for taking in all the strays and giving them the opportunity to experience a loving home
Old 06-14-2008, 08:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((FD))))

Awwww sweetie I am so sorry. I am sure Paddy crossed the rainbow bridge.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cmc

((FD)))
I'm sorry about the passing of your pal, Paddy.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
Someone once posted that relationships last for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. This one lasted nearly 13 years--Paddy's lifetime. I used to think that my purpose in life was to rescue homeless animals. Now I realize that the purpose of their lives was to rescue me.
I am sorry you lost your beloved friend, Paddy. Thankyou for rescuing her and for all your help in rescuing all of us here on SR. Your posts have helped more people than you will ever know. Peace
Old 06-14-2008, 10:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

FD, thank you , what a beautiful tribute to Paddy and all the furries fortunate enough to share in your life...
I am so sorry for your loss,..
hugs and prayers,
grateful
Old 06-15-2008, 12:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

FD, I am so very, very sorry for your loss. I, too, have taken in my share of strays and the lost and abandoned from the local pound. You WILL Be reunited with all the wonderful dogs that have been in your life and are now gone.

Yes, there IS a Rainbow Bridge, where our pets are restored to perfect health and someday you will hold each of your beloved dogs in your arms again.

(((FD)))
Old 06-15-2008, 04:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
gns

I am so sorry for your loss FormerDorrmat. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Paddy.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh I am so sorry for your loss. Big hugs to you. Wouldn't it be a better world if humans had the characteristics as dogs. They are so special!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((FD)))

I'm so sorry about Paddy, but what a beautiful tribute to him. People ask me how many kids I have, I say "3 - they have 4 legs, fur, and they meow"..they ARE my kids, and they, also, were strays.

I have to believe in the Rainbow Bridge...it hurts too much to think I will never see my beloved furbabies again.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-15-2008, 07:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss, FD, but so grateful that there are people out there like you who spend the time and tenderness to make Paddy's time on earth so joyful.

Hugs
GL
Old 06-15-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

(((FD))) i'm so sorry for your loss. It's a hard thing to go through especially when they are with us for that long. We put Winslow (cat) down at 13 too and it was heart wrenching. You truly do become so attached to them. Hugs to you.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

FD~

I just put my beloved English Bulldog, Lola...to sleep yesterday....so I feel your pain. I didn't anticipate how sad I would feel, even though I keep telling myself 'she is just a dog'.

She was only 5 and unexpectedly was diagnosed with cancer just a month ago. I was hoping she would hang on longer, but she was just beginning to suffer and I decided when the vet told me it would be an act of kindness to let her go..that's all I needed to hear.

She meant the world to me and helped me through some difficult transitions. I am sorry for the loss of your beloved dog.

Big hug.......:ghug3
Old 06-15-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Sorry FD, my thoughts are with you,

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 06-15-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

(( FD )) ((Caroline))

I know what it's like to lose a fur friend... the pain is very real and very acute. I was surprised at the level of grief I felt. I also realized in a flash that only other fur parents understood that a person could grieve the loss of a beloved pet.

This reading has brought me comfort more than once:

Facing Life's Challenges by Amy Dean

My mother thought it would make us feel better to know animals had no soul and thus their deaths were not to be taken seriously. But it didn't help and when I think of some of the animals I have known, I wonder. The only really "soulful" eyes in the world belong to the dog or cat who sits on your lap or at your feet commiserating when you cry."---columnist Liz Smith

When your pet passes away, it can be as emotionally devastating as losing your best friend. Although some unenlightened people may call them "dumb animals," pets are actually friends, confidants, advisors, teachers, comforters, and the only living creatures that consistently give unconditional love. You know how your dog never fails to wag her tail and jump around in ecstasy when you walk in the door---how many close friends greet you in such a way? Or, think about how your cat always sits on your lap and instinctively rubs his head against yours when you're upset---how many intimate partners would non-judgmentally empathize with you when you're sobbing aloud? Your pet always accepts your bad moods and irritable temper with total trust and love---how many family members would respond so forgivingly?

That's why the process of grieving applies as much to a pet as it does to a human being. Well-meaning people who tell you that getting a new pet will make you feel better believe that replacing your beloved "child" will make your loss easier to deal with. But, in reality, you need to work through your feelings and bring closure to the grieving process before you can be open to loving a new pet.

Today, give yourself time to grieve the loss of your beloved friend...... Let the spirit of your pet remain forever in your heart.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

FD I am so sorry, we too just went through this a couple of months ago with our belove mastiff who had bone cancer... we miss and love her every day, but the remembering the wonderful memories is where the joy is...
Old 06-15-2008, 10:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

So sorry for your loss. As you can see, so many of us can relate to how you're feeling.

I'm picturing your Paddy and my Smokey, (a black lab/chow mix) running around on the other side of the rainbow bridge, barking and chasing after butterflies, one thing that I used to laugh hysterically as Smokey did.

I believe in my heart when my time is up and I have the gates of Heaven opened for me, all of my departed loved ones will be waiting, along with Smokey wagging is tail and panting with happiness.

God Bless,
Judy