Notices

Am I going through Alcohol withdrawal?

Old 06-14-2008, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I going through Alcohol withdrawal?

So I've been feeling not so hot for the last 8 or so months. I gradually had been trying to stop drinking, and had cut down to once or twice a week. Then about once a month. Over the holidays, I woke up in the middle of the night with sweaty palms and chest pain. This scared me so I pretty much stopped drinking and got on a good diet in a hurry. Since december, I have kept to a very good diet. And have tried to stay away from drinking. But I did a few times.

After about a few months of not drinking, I thought I was feeling good enough to go out and have a few. I got more drunk then intended and about 2 days later felt really really sick. Cramped muscles, heavy breathing and sweaty palms. I knew it had to be the alcohol. So I have quit cold turkey. It's been 5 weeks since I've had a drink, and my diet has been very good.

But I'm still not feeling to great, even after 5 weeks of no drinking and eating right. (38 days) I have pains in my sides(right and left under ribs more towards the back) I get sweaty palms and feet from time to time. And I keep rubbing at my arm pits under the shoulder.

What do you think my problem is? Really looking for some advice. I'm sure you'll recommend seeing a doctor. But I'd like the opinion of people who may have already gone through something similar. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"I'm sure you'll recommend seeing a doctor."

Please do see a doctor.

The opinions of people here regarding your condition's cause are not of any real value, right?
Old 06-14-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Cramped muscles, heavy breathing, sweaty palms--which you mentioned occurred 2 days after stopping drinking could be signs of withdrawal. But if you are now having pains in your sides--toward your back and/or pains on right side (underneath rib cage)--could very well be a problem with your kidneys and/or liver. I had bad sharp shooting pains in my right side only --lower rib cage area when my liver enzymes were high. You should see a doctor and have some bloodwork done--sooner the better. Tell him/be honest about your drinking History.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Hi Matt

I'm 37 days sober today so just about the same as yourself. The symptons you describe is what I felt more in days 1-5. Although general aches and pains my stomach is pretty much back to normal now and I feel pretty good considering the years I abused my body with alcohol for.

I accept it will take time for our bodies to recover completely if ever but I reckon you should feel better than you do.

I think you already know yourself what you should do.

I'd say please go and see a doctor my friend.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Yep, it is best to see a Dr. and be honest about your situation. When I did so, it was like a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. Firstly, I admitted I indeed had a problem and secondly, I was taking my first step to recovery. Good luck!
Old 06-14-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

(Support and experience only please. DO NOT give or ask for, Medical advice.)

If you are looking for support to stop drinking, then you are in the right place.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our community.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Originally Posted by matt9999 View Post
Cramped muscles, heavy breathing and sweaty palms.
Sounds like a weekend I had in the Glades way back when. But that, my friend, is a WHOLE nuther story.

Go see a doctor Matt. I (we) could no more tell you what is wrong with you than you could tell me what's wrong with my cat. You're a smart guy - get your butt an appointment....
Old 06-14-2008, 05:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well... here is my advise.... none of it sounds like a good thing. Best to go see a doctor.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It is good to see a doctor and have tests done. Our experiences are just that: ours. I have no idea what's happening to you. But to be safe, please see a doctor.

Welcome to the site!:ghug3
Old 06-14-2008, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

well, I don't have any medical insurance so...

Do you think it could be gallstones
Old 06-14-2008, 09:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Originally Posted by matt9999 View Post
well, I don't have any medical insurance so...

Do you think it could be gallstones

Please refer to 51anna's response. Even the doctors that are on this site can't diagnose you from afar. One reason being that as you have just suggested that you might have something that you don't and you opt to go get treated for said whatever from some medical shaman and then you get really bad off (i.e., not alive anymore) and it all comes back on us as a site that wrongly diagnoses people. Then your family wants to sue us for say, an amount equal to Bill Gates annual salary, and our site gets shut down and we get really broke.

So cut it out!!!

Go see a doctor and do not rely on any medical opinions or advice from anyone on this site.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

no insurance? Go to a clinic but just make sure yo go see someone (a DR.) very soon.

Best of luck
Old 06-14-2008, 10:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober 6/5/2008

Matt,

See a doctor.

Around the beginning of the year I noticed I was feeling poorly and couldn't seem to shake it. Was it gout? Flu? A persistent cold? A kidney stone? Alcohol withdrawal? After about four months, my mother finally brow beat me into seeing a doctor. Two weeks later I'd had a stroke and open heart surgery. In hindsight all the mysterious symptoms were indicative of infectious endocarditis. A bacterial infection had somehow established itself onto one of my heart valves. If I hadn't sought out medical advice when I did, it would almost certainly have killed me in short order.

There was no way of predicting what I had. Bad lifestyle had nothing to do with it. It was purely one of those things. It could happen to anyone. But it took medical testing to figure out exactly what it was.

I reiterate: see a doctor.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Matt,

Please DO NOT ask medical questions.

(Support and experience only please. DO NOT give or ask for, Medical advice.)Matt
Old 06-15-2008, 05:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Matt....I too have been without insurance
and I knew I needed medical attention...

I used a free clinic in Washington D.C.
the doctors were volunteers from the community.
Hospitals did not charge for any procedures necessary.

In FL I used the County Health Department
They also gave Med's and free tests.

I strongly suggest you get busy and find local options.

If you are not in the USA ...I have no experiences.

Please do seek medical attention ASAP.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

fulminouscherub.....Wow!
How fortunate you lived.

Welcome to SR...