Notices

Having surgery - anything I need to know?

Old 06-13-2008, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Having surgery - anything I need to know?

Hi all,

I'm Bipolar I and am on a cocktail of drugs that are very effective for me. I've been pretty stable now for a little over 4 months (since I quit drinking!). I take Lithium, Seroquel and Depokote. Also Ativan as needed.

I am scheduled to have a umbilical hernia repaired in a couple of weeks. They are NOT going to do a general anesthia and it's just an outpatient procedure. It should be no big deal.

I was just wondering, however, if anyone has had surgery while on psych meds and if there was any destablization or anything like that? All my docs tell me it should be fine and the psych meds won't effect the surgery or vice versa. But it's more that I'm a little anxious that the whole balance might be affected and I might experience symptoms from my Bipolar which has been well controlled.

Any relevant experiences? Thanks so much,

MLE
Old 06-13-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

No experience here, but for the fact that I've had unbilical hernia operation!
Hurt a bit for a few days, but, quickly recovered.

What does your pdoc say?
That's the one I'd be most interested in for an opinion on this matter. They know these particular drugs most of all.

Shalom!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I have had many surgeries both in and outpatient the best advice I can give is when u feel like getting up and around beware. I always overestimate what I can do, and do too much. Around day 2 everyone I ever talked to has gotten a second wind kind of feeling and the effects of anesthesia creep back up up and can last for a good week. Baby yourself. Good luck....