Article: How to leave your spouse

Old 06-13-2008, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Article: How to leave your spouse

I know that for some here this is a reality, so I thought I would share this article I saw on MSN today
How to leave your husband - Savings & Debt Insight - Sympatico / MSN Finance
Old 06-13-2008, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There's some good practical advice in that article.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I actually did just what the article said. I knew two years ago that if I ever intended on really leaving, I would need to be secure money wise first so I started planning. I never said a word about it to ah but just wanted a security blanket for just in case. At least in that aspect i'm fine. Now, if I could figure out the "how to work on me" aspect of this, I would be great!
Old 06-14-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That article only scratches the surface. If you are REALLY planning to leave you also need to:

Get rid of ANY joint debts that you can and close the accounts, divorce papers mean nothing to creditors. Do not co sign for cars, boats etc.

Keep tabs on your spouse's retirement accounts (remember the more they have the better off you are). My ex would initiate withdrawls and cancel his 401k contribution while drunk and I would go online and cancel them (it's sounds codie but there was no way in H*** I was gonna support his penniless ass).

DO NOT ACCUMULATE MORE DEBT NO MATTER HOW MUCH THE A SWEET TALKS YOU(A's love to buy new stuff and keep us entangled and broke).

If you inherit any money keep it in your own name.

If you are hiding money keep it in cash and give it to someone you trust (preferably in a safe) if you put in a bank account the ex can get half.

I was married to an A for 16 years, I went through financial hell for all but the last 5, I learned the hard way.