High Power

Old 06-12-2008, 09:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

High Power

Is it acceptable for group members to be a source of a higher power?

I'm questioning so many things lately about the program (sponsorship, higher power, etc.) and deciding what's the next best thing for me.

Anyone having success with living without following a program or attending meetings?

I need to apply everything I'm reading and hearing. I'm starting to feel like taking time off from it, taking some risks, and just start being myself and really living this summer!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

The "group" itself can be considered a Higher Power...but I would not make any particular individual, such as a sponsor or another person in the program your Higher Power.:ghug2
Old 06-12-2008, 09:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it's okay, Az. Sometimes I want to just say enough, that I don't want to even think about addicts, or drugs, or alcohol, but to just live. I believe that we all have a path that we follow in life that is influenced by something greater than us. If this is the choice you are making today, then that is your path that is planned for you. You have learned a great deal by coming here, but if your heart is calling to you to just step away from the insanity and find some peace and joy in living this summer, then that is what you should do, sweetie. Just remember the lessons and don't get sucked in to someone else's lies and manipulations.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Peaceteach--
I really like your signature quote. I do think my inner voice "guidance" is talking to me a lot lately! I have learned many lessons and do see progress! Listening to others share at meetings also helps me see how far I have come in changing myself.

It isn't so much stepping away from insanity, it's just finally being at peace and acceptance. I do feel much more free from the insanity and can keep choosing to stay that way.

I'd like to just keep moving forward and I don't want to relive everything and write about it all again with someone. I have so much more understanding of addiction and how it affects the family. I know what my contributions were and am aware of only being able to help myself. I will always need to work on myself. I found what I was looking for and know where to continue to get support.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate to the feeling of being worn out on meetings and AA. I am not in that place right now because I really need to be tehre and need to get the message everyday and learn these steps so I can apply them to my every day life. It is overwhelming to dicuss your disease and focus on it all the time, so I know where you are coming form.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aztchr View Post
Anyone having success with living without following a program or attending meetings?
Yes, success can happen without meetings or a program. I do not attend meetings of any sort. I have not felt the need. I had a few individual therapy sessions right after I left STBXAH to deal with the immediate issues and gain some tools for moving forward. The rest of this past year, my personjourney has been through reading, being honest with myself about my issues, and participating in this forum.

Your HP can be anything that works for you.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

I do think my inner voice "guidance" is talking to me a lot lately! I have learned many lessons and do see progress! Listening to others share at meetings also helps me see how far I have come in changing myself.
Aztchr....I have found that when I go to a meeting and listen somedays without sharing I absorb more and can see how they have helped me grow....

I cannot say that I have....I have had to come to SR or go to a meeting just to keep myself on track on how I want to live my life today...it is what works for me! IMHO I believe that we all have our own path and decide what will work for us. I also believe our HP is is who/whatever we choose our HP to be! It takes time to find out what works for us to keep us on the right path for ourselves...but we do get there and then we work it and work it hard!

"Progress not perfection"
Old 06-13-2008, 06:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I have friends in the program whose HP is G.O.D. = Group Of Drunks.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

AZ I have to say my whole first year in recovery I had HP problems. It was explained to me that I could use the group, a tree, a rock, whatever, just so it wasn't me or an individual.

Well.............................................. ...........being a good alkie I settled on a Harley Davidson Motorcycle. Yes, it's funny now, but I was dead serious when I did that, and you know what???????....................................... ......IT WORKED.

So to answer your question...............................ABSOLUTELY you can use the group. As we grow and change in recovery so do our perceptions of ideas and concepts. So for now, use the group if that works for you GREAT.

J M H O

Love and hugs,