Notices

New member with questions...

Old 06-12-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New member with questions...

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure I just realized that I've damaged my liver with excessive drinking (1 pint vodka + few beers per day for the last year). I haven't drank anything since the day before yesterday and don't plan on it. I don't want to go to my doctor unless it's absolutely necessary.

I've been drinking heavily from the age of 18 (I'm 43 now). 4.5 years ago I quit completely for about 1.5 years. Thinking I would be ok with a couple of drinks here and there, I started lightly drinking again (3 years ago) and it's progressed to the above (sometimes worse).

Two days ago I noticed the whites of my eyes starting to take on a yellow tint... not all the way to my pupils, but around the outer edges. My stool has also become lighter in color. Not always, but enough to become noticeable.

I should've also mentioned... my eyes are itchy (getting better today) and I've a very small amount of pain in my lower right back area. I wouldn't even really call it "pain" - mostly just slight discomfort. My appetite is fine, and I don't notice any fatigue or swelling.

I started researching it online and knew that I've finally over done it. I'm a 43 year old male, and now I'm kind of scared.

I started taking 2, 140mg, Milk Thistles yesterday (3 times a day). My question is:

How long before I can expect to see any improvement?

Can someone please share some advice?

Am I taking enough milk thistle?

What can I expect over the next couple of weeks?

What should I watch for?

Thanks - Glen
Old 06-12-2008, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome! Don't know where to start? Newcomers to recovery should start here with their questions or request for community support. (Support and experience only please. DO NOT give or ask for, Medical advice.)

We're not doctors Glen, and can't give medical advice or suggestions. The first thing I would recommend is seeing a physician for an evaluation and possibly a safe detox.

There's plenty of reading you can do here, check out the sticky's at the top of the forums. Welcome to SR, glad you're here!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 06-12-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR Glen! Glad that you found us! As Astro stated above-DITTO-

Check out the Alcoholism Forum and the stickies at the top of the forum-

IMHO I would reconsider going to see a Doctor and get advice there! Just a thought....

Please keep posting and glad that you have made the choice to stop drinking-Lots of support here!
Old 06-12-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Glen....

I have to agree with Astro...(Support and experience only please. DO NOT give or ask for, Medical advice.)

Sounds like you really need to see a doctor...I to really hate to go to them but, sometimes you just have to. I am 47 and drank heavy for over 30 years with only short breaks, 15 days last years was the longest. I am on day 11... I feel normal at this point, still a little right knee pian from what I belive was gout. I plan on getting a complete checkup (blood work n all) over the next week or so. This site is great support but there is only one way to tell if you did liver damage?

Good Luck!
Old 06-12-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Glen,

I'm sorry to read what you're going through. I know it must be hard. This is a very wonderful site to help you with support, encouragement and insight. So, I'm really glad you're here. Stay and keep posting and reading. SR has been one of the key parts of my recovery.

In terms of your actual symptoms and worries about liver damage, etc., not only do I not have any valuably knowledge to offer you, but also, I really, really think that you should see your doctor. I know doctors aren't our favorite people soemtimes but seeing yours could just give you the right information so that that you can get off to a good start on your recovery path. No one here is going to be able to provide that kind of information for you.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

MLE
Old 06-12-2008, 12:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Yea..I am no Dr either but yellow in the eyes cant be a good thing.
I would share my experience with that but I dotn want to scare you or mislead you.
I hope you go see a Dr and soon.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I hope everyone who has a problem quitting drinking reads Glen's post.

Keep coming back.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

We do not ask for or give medical advice here. As others have said, you need to talk to your dr.

I understand how scary it is, but there is help here, if you are looking for recovery.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am a drinking professional not a health care professional - go see a doctor!

ps Welcome and I am glad to see you trying sobriety again!