Alcohol TV ad's

Old 06-12-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol TV ad's

Last night my son and I were watching TV and a beer ad came on. It was a typical one with beautiful people having a great time all because they were drinking a particular brand of beer. My 14 year said "boy they make it look so glamourous don't they, like you can just drink all you want and you will stay beautiful and nothing bad will happen".
Old 06-12-2008, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I agree, those ads are becoming more and more glamorous. It really makes me fear for my kids and for the peer pressure they'll be exposed to. I just keep reminding myself that I can only lead by example. They come to a couple AA meetings with me every week, I know they've got a pretty good understanding and awareness of what addictions can do to us.

Wouldn't it be interesting if a brewer or distiller made a commercial showing what alcohol can do in the wrong hands? The deadly auto accidents, families torn apart, failed relationships, lies and manipulation, child and spousal abuse, etc. etc.

But the ugly truth doesn't sell, just like ads for tobacco. Pretty sad. The other reality is that there are people who are perfectly capable of drinking safely, I'm just not one of them.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

But the ugly truth doesn't sell, just like ads for tobacco. Pretty sad. The other reality is that there are people who are perfectly capable of drinking safely, I'm just not one of them.
Very sad indeed! IMHO a lot of things out there these days are scary! I know that times change yadda yadda however it just seems to be getting worse not better in some ways-

hadenough hard to hear from your 14 year old for sure!
Old 06-12-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It does feel that some of the alcohol commericials will have disclaimers and say "Please drink responsibly." I think that is smart.

The Real World Hollywood on MTV was even worse. I think they were trying to show someone who was getting help for their alcoholism, but it just looked really crazy based on what everyone else in the house was doing.

I am really glad that when I was growing up that I got involved in church and that I surrounded myself with friends that did not drink very much. I look at the choices that my husband made back in college by having his first drink, and I have no regrets because I am the best person I can be right now based on the choices that I made for myself early in my life.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wish I'd been as smart about alcohol when I was your son's age.

Unlike him, I just fell for it all. Sounds like he's got more sense.

Look at it (your son's comment) as a good thing. He's going to be too smart for the marketers, most likely.

To be fair, there are a lot of people in this world who drink responsibly. As long as alcohol is legal, there will be people trying to get us to buy their brand, just as deodorant or toothpaste manufacturers want us to think that if we don't use theirs, we'll be shunned by the opposite sex

To be honest, though, I hate alcohol ads on TV and wish they were restricted, like nudity, to certain timeslots. Most of them are really awful, and include lying, crappy relationships, hurtful jokes, and all the rest. Ick.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post

To be fair, there are a lot of people in this world who drink responsibly. As long as alcohol is legal, there will be people trying to get us to buy their brand, just as deodorant or toothpaste manufacturers want us to think that if we don't use theirs, we'll be shunned by the opposite sex
So true! So many things out there show the glamourous side of things; cars speeding (not the accident afterwards); Chips/Chocolate/Candy (not the diabetes); good food in restaurants (not the eating disorders, morbid obesity) etc. It's all about teaching kids responsibility and moderation. I do drink occasionally but I know when to stop, so for me personally, it's never been a problem. Whereas with RAH he never knew when 'enough was enough'.
Most of the ads I see do say "Please drink responsibly" and I see a number of ads for AA and from MADD about the dangers of drinking, so I guess there is a bit of a balance.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wish I'd been as smart about alcohol when I was your son's age.

Unlike him, I just fell for it all. Sounds like he's got more sense.

Look at it (your son's comment) as a good thing. He's going to be too smart for the marketers, most likely.

To be honest, though, I hate alcohol ads on TV and wish they were restricted, like nudity, to certain timeslots. Most of them are really awful, and include lying, crappy relationships, hurtful jokes, and all the rest. Ick.
I do see his comment as positive and he does have good role models on how to drink responsibly. Alcohol is very big business and these ads are targeted at young people which I think is a shame. The "please drink responsibly" message is nice but few parents discuss drinking with their teens (mine did, ex AH's did not).
Old 06-12-2008, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It seems to me that television went through a period of time that commercials with alcohol weren't allowed. Am I alone in remembering this?

Now......going back even further......I remember when commercials for a particular beer were CARTOONS!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For almost 50 years, there was a voluntary ban on liquor ads on TV. That went out the door when spirits companies decided their bottom line was getting a little thin. I don't remember life without beer ads, but maybe I wasn't paying attention
Old 06-12-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For almost 50 years, there was a voluntary ban on liquor ads on TV. That went out the door when spirits companies decided their bottom line was getting a little thin. I don't remember life without beer ads, but maybe I wasn't paying attention
GL
Thanks for clarifying that issue. Hmmmm.....perhaps the bottom line getting a little thin for the distillers was a GOOD thing for the general population. I grew up in an alcohol free home so I didn't really pay that much attention to the ads except the CARTOON one! I can still sing the ditty that went along with that commercial! Kind of like the Camel cigarette character......who are they trying to appeal to?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

At least they don't allow cigarette commercials anymore... and you don't see people on TV smoking much. ( or at all ?)

We have a fair amt of commercials here that show people getting arrested for Drunk driving. THOSE are my favorites!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
God's Kid

in reverse - true story

A friend, of a friend, of a friend is an 'actor' on the 'binge drinking is bad for you' ads played on the TV in my country but the irony of this though is my friend knows the actor personally and says he has a binge drinking problem in real life! Whenever I see the ad, it's all I can think about. It's rather funny in a terrible kinda way!