Notices

Hello all please help

Old 06-11-2008, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all please help

Hi,

I have been addicted for about 2 years now and i have realized that it is time to quit. The main problem i am having right now is that i can not stop life to quit. My mother is now in her second battle with cancer and she needs my help mentally and financially. if any one can please point me in the right direction i would be more then great full.

thank you all for your time,

fallinstar
Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you are addicted to alcohol I would suggest AA. If you are addicted to narcotics I'd suggest NA. I would also advise you consult your doctor before quitting as withdrawal can be most unpleasant, not to mention dangerous.

Would your quitting your addiction really mean you wouldn't be able to help your mother? Or is there more to it than that? Not knowing your circumstances I can't say for sure. Might it not be better for you to help your mother if you're not addicted to some substance?

I will be praying for you and your mom.:praying:ghug3
Old 06-11-2008, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fallinstar...hang in there. Take Least's advice about looking for help. I think I know what you mean about not being able to stop life. My excuse was that I needed to get the "everyday" things done around the house etc......I needed to help with my son's behavior intervention (for autism) etc etc etc. There was no way I could pull all that off while trying to get clean. Unfortunately, the further down I sunk - I began to realize that I wouldn't be good to anyone if this disease put me underground. Does your mom know? whether or not she does, I'm sure she appreciates your help, but I'm sure she would rather have you healthy.
I hope you (and your mom) are doing ok.
keep us posted
Old 06-11-2008, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I told my dr i couldn't go to treatment cause i would loose my job. He told me if i didn't go to treatment i would loose my job......2 weeks later i was in the hospital again, missed a bit presentation.......and finally went to treatment.

I still have the same job today.

keep reading and posting we are here to support each other in recovering from this disease.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I can sure relate to your feelings of being overwhelmed with your Mother needing you. My Mom has had many medical problems that have been magnified since the end of last August. . . one broken bone after the other, heart failure, surgery, a sudden onset of severe diabetes . . . in and out of hospitals, nursing homes and a permanent move into an Assisted Living Facility. It's all been pretty much on me since my Brother lives about an hour or so away. Sure, he calls twice a week and comes down once or twice a month, but I'm the one on a daily basis who is always called upon and relied on. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to be able to be there for my Mom, but at the same time, it does take away from my life.

One area that I cannot and will not let be effected is my Recovery. I will have 3 years Clean & Sober next month. The first thing you need to do is to get to some meetings. Like others said, you won't do your Mom any good at all if you continue on the path you are on. It just so happens that I also live in Dayton, so I'll send you a PM with my email address along with local phone numbers of AA's Central Office as well as NA's contact numbers. I have meeting schedules and will be more than happy to relay this info on to you. If you like, we could meet at a meeting or two.

If I want to keep what I have, I have to give it away.

God Bless and I'll send you that PM right after I submit this,
Judy
Old 06-11-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Fallinstar & Welcome to SR.....

You have the main reason to get clean, Your Mother! As you said...She needs your help mentally and financially...so you need to be as strong as possiable...That means staying clean for Mom... I lost both my parents years ago... you really want the best of times with them...you have the best motivation there is...Mom!

Good Luck...look forward to your progress...keep posting!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

fallinstar, check your private messages. I sent you my email address along with a lot of other info and as I stated, I'd be happy to meet you at a meeting(s) if you like.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 06-11-2008, 10:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community...

I had been in AA recovery for years when my Mom
was diagnosed with terminal cancer. By being sober
I was able to take care of her during her final days.

It was an honor I could not have done drinking.

Prayers that you and your Mother may find healing.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hello again,

i guess i should have been more specific, i am addicted to pain pills. i appreciate all the responses you guys have been great. i know its time to quit but the problem is that i work a lot and need the money for the family. i know there is no real easy way to stop but i cant deal with the withdraws and i fell so lost. pretty much i don't know were to start. i lost so many good things in this life because of these stupid drugs and its got to stop. if some one could please point me in the right direction i would be so thankful.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Have you ever been to an NA meeting? :ghug2
Old 06-13-2008, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ANGELINA243 View Post
Have you ever been to an NA meeting? :ghug2
Nope, were can i find info for that?
Old 06-13-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Try NA (narcotics Anonymous), the AA folks might give you some stern looks on the druggie talk.

Look on the internet for meetings in your area. Maybe call the hospital and ask them.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Narcotics Anonymous, NA, homepage You can click on Meeting Search to find a meeting near you. DASCNA - Narcotics Anonymous, Dayton OH The second link is for info in your area.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fallinstar View Post
Hi,

i can not stop life to quit

fallinstar
I know it's going to sound like a cliche but it's absolutely true, we don't stop life to quit, we quit to start living.

WELCOME!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 03:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thanks guys i will look in to NA, now how to deal with the withdrawals?
Old 06-13-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I suggest you go to our Substance Abuse Forum
There might be info there on withdrawals
for whatever you are using.