Notices

pmdd and painkillers(DON'T MIX)

Old 06-10-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry pmdd and painkillers(DON'T MIX)

I started taking painkillers to drown out the emotional rollercoaster of pmdd. Every month, for 2 weeks, I fell into a very deep depression. So deep, that I wanted to kill myself which is completely rediculous for me. I am a together, happy, bubblie girl, that everyone else turned to when they needed help. After my second child, I started to get terrible PMS, although the feelings were soooo much worse that that. Every month for 2 weeks, I feel hopeless, depressed, crying for no apparent reason, hot flashes, cold sweats, not eating or sleeping, irrational thoughts, mood swings, major anxiety attacks, just feeling like jumping out of my skin, body and muscle aches and the list goes on an on. Well, after dealing with this and taking so many different medications, nothing worked! I started taking painkillers during those 2 weeks of my cycle and eventually getting addicted to them. Taking 15 roxys a day, which is way over the top. I was clean for 21 days and relasped when my symptoms of pmdd started again this month. I don't know how to get through it without drugs. I have been clean for 5 days now and feeling better, but I know that in about a week and a half or so, this is going to happen to me again. I cannot live this way, I am pretty much bipolar for 2 weeks a month which inturn is half of my life. I have a great life!!! 2 great kids and husband. I have everything in life that most people work so hard to get and I am going to lose it all, if I don't get help! PLEASE, ANYONE, SEND ME ANY COMMENTS THAT MAY HELP!!!! THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING SO UNDERSTANDING AND COMPACIONATE!!!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Roxy,
ugh - I feel for you. that sucks. (big help huh?) sorry. there was someone else posting about this subject this afternoon though - and if I could find it - I could send you the thread....the advice and what they finally got their doc to put them on may help you - you never know! at the very least you could get some advice from someone who knows what you're going through.
hang in there..........i'll see if I can find that from earlier.......
Old 06-10-2008, 09:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Roxy....so happy your better now....
You sound so different then your last post!
Sounds like you now understand what's happening and why....
I agree with Jeeplady and you should talk to your doctor ASAP!

Glad you posted agian I was worried you!

:praying
Old 06-10-2008, 10:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
cmc

I hope you will seek out a physician who understands and knows how to treat this. Here is a link about ways to treat this condition.
facts for health--premenstual dysphoric disorder--how is premenstrual dysphoric disorder treated?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey to all my friends out there is cyberspace,
I just thank god for the internet and this site, both have helped more than words can say. Without both, I don’t know where or what I would be doing right now. Probably popping a pill, instead, I am here getting everything out of my head. It helps so much to get it all out. I am thinking so much clearer these days. Everyone is telling me to get the help of from a doctor, but doctors are the ones who got me where I am today. 2 years ago, I went to the doc to tell him I was in extreme pain and I have all the symptoms of pmdd (pre-menstrual disphoric disorder). Other than the unbearable pain, I was feeling extremely anxious, depressed, lost, hopeless, lethargic and the list goes on and on. He told me that it was endometriosis, not pmdd, because of the amount of pain I was in. The first thing he wanted to do was to put me on the pill because it helps control the pain and the mood symptoms. Unfortunately at the time, I was trying to get pregnant, so the pill wasn’t an option. To make a long story short he put me on pain meds (Percocet) and I went on my way, feeling much better. 6 months later I got pregnant and I was great!!!!!!! Feeling great, no pain, no depression, I was happy as can be. Well, to all you ladies out there who have kids, as a happy as a pregnant person could actually be. Obviously pregnancy isn’t the easiest thing in the world, but compared to what I have been through, it was like a walk in the park! Anyway, shortly after the birth of my son, the pains and depressions started with my first menstrual cycle. My doctor put me on the pill and continued with the Percocet and month after month there was no change. So, finally, I had surgery for the endometriosis, a quick out-patient surgery, no big deal. Wrong! I ended up internally bleeding, over all, losing 10 pts of blood directly into my stomach. So my doc opened me back up, vacuumed out as much blood as he could from my stomach and then admitted me into the hospital. This all happened to me on a Friday and my doc was off for the weekend, so he sent his partner to the hospital to deal with me. Granted, I have never met this man in my entire life, so I was scared out of my mind. I was in so much pain I couldn’t even move. Well no wonder, I was down to 4 pts of blood and was pretty much half dead. Well after 5 blood transfusions they sent me home with a huge bottle of pills. So, stupid me, I started taking them on a regular basis for 6 whole months. Each month upping the dosage, to the point of 30mg Roxy’s and whenever I missed a dose, I was again, in terrible pain. In my mind, not knowing what painkillers do to your body, I thought I was in pain from the surgery and endometriosis. Therefore, I kept on taking them and taking them. Finally, I realized that the pain I was having after I missed a dose, was not because of the surgery or illness, it was because I was going through withdrawal!!!!!!!!!! If anyone out there is still reading this long and boring story, my point of it all is to NEVER TRUST DOCTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are just normal people like you and me trying to get by in life and in my opinion; yes they have a license to PRATICE medicine, BUT THAT IS EXACTLY IT! THEY ARE PRACTICING!!! PRACTICING ON ME AND YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE IN THIS WORLD!!!! So to my own conclusion, I WILL do this on my own, with my family, friends and with all of you!! F the doctors!!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 12:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Roxy,

Some doctors are not good doctors, but fortunately some are.

If you don't trust your dr, then definitely you should look for one who you can count on.

I have realized that, ultimately it is my choice as to what to do regarding my health, but I feel that I can depend on the dr that I have.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry to all, I have to retract the comment that "all doctors cannot be trusted". I know deep in my heart that this comment is not true. I have been burned by so many doctors that I am skeptic and that is not fair to all of you!!! I live in south florida and alot of doctors down here are called legit drug dealers. They will give out a prescription for serious narcotics for something simple as an earache. I know this first hand. I just wish that the events in my life did not happen the way they did because I was calling out for help. Unfortunately, the doctors I saw found the easy fix and sent me away. I know now, the problem I have is not an easy fix and I needed much more help than a script for painkillers! I found my doctors on my insurance website which is a major insurance company, probably one of the biggest and I trusted the fact that my insurance company would not put bad doctors on their site. Please don't misunderstand the statements I have said!! I am certainly not saying that it is all doctors that don't care, that is not what I am saying at all. I am saying that I have had bad luck my entire life, and it is just my luck to see the very few doctors in this world that were in it for themselves. I live in South Florida which is a material world and completely different from most places in the country. Alot of doctors down here are just in it for the buck. I am just so angry and mostly at myself because I should have said no to all of the painkillers they were giving me. I admit that my addiction isn't my doctors fault, it is completely mine. Most of all, I definately don't want to come on this website bad talking doctors and swaying people from seeing them, that is not my goal. I came to this website because I have nowhere else to turn to. I don't know who I can trust anymore, so I am trying to figure it out on my own. PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY WORDS LITERAL, I WAS JUST TRYING TO FIND A PLACE TO VENT. I haven't had the best luck in my life and it would only make sense to have a surgury from one of the very few doctors that didn't really care about my well being.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Roxy...I am with you, I stay away as much as possiable from doctor's....

Yes not all are bad. But I have used the same saying as you said, thats why they call it a medical practice. Becuase many are just doing that...
My current doctor is ok... The good thing with my doc is she will talk to me on & off the record on some subjects. So I get what she is supose to say and then the off the record take on the subject!
Old 06-11-2008, 06:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope you find a good doctor Roxy. I have had lots of "script" doctors too - but without us they wouldn't be able to do that. In my old doctors case I think he just gave up with listening to the whining and saying "what do you need" was way easier on him.
Reminds me of all the effort they put into fighting drugs on the streets - good luck, if they'd spend all that time and money cleaning up the addicts - the dealers would dissolve. And that's the only way they will.
things will work out for you - I have faith!!
Old 06-11-2008, 11:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((Roxy))

There are bad doctors out there. I found my current doctor when my stepsister referred me. The first time I went to him, I told him I was a recovering addict and had become an addict when I was a nurse. I told him that I did not want him to ever just give me a script and send me on my way. I have legit back pain at times (ruptured disk) but we have agreed on what kind of treatment would be best for my pain and my recovery.

He and his nurse are awesome...very supportive and will just sit there and talk to me. I haven't had to ask him for anything for my back, so far, but I'm glad I talked to him ahead of time about it.

My old doctor would give me whatever I wanted. Not a good thing for an addict. I live in Atlanta and we, too, have lots of "legal drug dealers". I would try to find another doctor and tell them, from the get-go, I have pain but I also have a lot of other problems (depression, anxiety) and I don't want to be just given a script for pain meds and sent on my merry way. Remember...you (and the insurance) are paying them for their services...you are actually the boss. It may take a while to find the right one, but when you do, they are worth their weight in gold.

BTW...I totally understand about being a totally different person for 2 weeks of the month. Mine is not as bad as yours, but darn if I don't feel like a homicidal maniac right now! Luckily, my "good" 2 weeks is coming up soon

Hugs and prayers!

Amy