Notices

Starting Day 4....

Old 06-09-2008, 03:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting Day 4....

First off I'm glad I found this site and this will probably be a long post as I've just woke up after 4 hours sleep and I'm going through the whole insomnia/night sweats part of withdrawl.

I appreciate the advice that I have read and eagerly and regretably look forward to the next few days,(weeks?) of going through the withdrawl symptoms.

I'm a pretty heavy binge drinker and have finally had enough. I would notice patterns in my drinking break those patterns and celebrate by going all out and making up for the lost time by drinking twice as much. My most recent binge lasted 4 days and from what I can recall and count by the empty beer boxes went through 75 cans of beer. I was able to call in sick for work 2 of the days and make it through the last 3 days going through the sweats and insomnia. The lack of sleep really sucks. I'm only managing 2-4 hours at a time and waking up soaked. I have been consuming tons of water and yesterday was the first day I could eat.

Through this I have possibly lost my true soulmate in life and that scares the hell out of me. She is being as understanding as she can and I can only hope and pray that I can have another chance again. I know that I need to do this for myself, but she is my driving force because like I mentioned before she is my soulmate.

I have been through this before but this time I definetly want it to be the last. I have never had withdrawls like this before and they suck!!! Any help would be appreciated. Unfortunately medical help is not available as my employer provides no insurance and I can't afford it on my own. So i'm going to have to white nuckle it. Physically at the moment I don't feel too bad just a little exhausted.

In the past I have tried AA and it hasn't worked. Maybe bad meetings, but it just depressed me to hear stories of people who seemed to live on glorifyng their days of drinking and using.

I do however realize I can't do this myself, so, I thank whomever created this site and all of you that utilize it.

Finally feeling tired and looking forward to some sleep so off to bed I go as the sun is coming up, not looking forward to waking up in a pool of sweat again but I do realize the positive effects of it purging the alcohol out of my system. Luckily I do have the day off from work and don't have to worry about waking up at any particular time. I do need the rest.

When I wake I'll check back in and luckily I have enough household stuff to keep me busy to stay away from drinking.

I hope everyone has a great and sober day!

Thanks for letting me ramble on!
Old 06-09-2008, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR...

This can the last de tox you have to do.

Blessings
Old 06-09-2008, 05:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome, and reach out to your Higher Power for strength.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

so glad your here! The first time i quit without medical help I remember taking alot of showers. That seemed to help. Getting out in the fresh air heped me too.

I was really shaky on not drinking that first week on a minite to minite basis. Work actually helped to keep my mind off it. Keeping busy and out of situations where I was alone helped.

Keep on posting.:ghug
Old 06-09-2008, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mustdothis View Post
I'm a pretty heavy binge drinker and have finally had enough. I would notice patterns in my drinking break those patterns and celebrate by going all out and making up for the lost time by drinking twice as much.

Welcome to SR....

Yep that was me....cut back for a few days, followed by the big 3 day bender. I am at 1 week and feel pretty good, night sweats stopped on day 5. I still feel strange, have major mood swings, obsses about having a drink every night & yesterday had a really strange pain in both of my knees like arthritis? I guess it take time to get the posion out of the body!

Good luck and you found a great place to start here at SR!
Old 06-09-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome MustDoThis! It's my 4th day too (albeit not my first 4th day)! Detox will be over tomorrow! Something to look forward to. Don't blow it 'cause it's harder to start over than it is to just not drink. Trust me, I know.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to all tried to PM you but this 5 post thing is kinda nutty - The beginning is one of the hardest parts with the withdrawl and the detox going on and all.

However I did get a few hours of sleep and need to get myself moving and motivated. I know I will make it to Day 5!

Last edited by mustdothis; 06-09-2008 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Update
Old 06-09-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR mustdothis.

In the past I have tried AA and it hasn't worked. Maybe bad meetings, but it just depressed me to hear stories of people who seemed to live on glorifyng their days of drinking and using.
I went to AA about 5 years before I quit drinking, I heard the same thing, what I learned was that Germany was a great place to get drunk!!!

Funny thing, but when I finally had enough to drink and was really ready to stop, when I went back to AA I heard a message of recovery, but I was ready for that because that is what I wanted..... recovery!

I have also learned that in order for me to recover I had to work the entire program of AA, not just go to meetings. I started off going to meetings and got a sponsor, I got a home group, I got a service position, then I worked the steps with my sponsor, once I finished working the steps, I started applying the steps to all of my affairs.

Some time while working the steps my obsession to drink was lifted.

There are other programs besides AA, but none of them will work if you don't work them.

BTW there are AA meetings out there that are not about recovery, if you decide to try AA again check out a group of different meetings until you find a core group you are comfortable with.

Heck there is nothing wrong with working a different program while going to AA, you would not be the first nor the last person to do that. What ever works do it.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 4 Update

PREFACE: Checked this site frequently and it really really helped THANK YOU TO ALL!

Felt really crappy this morning but today turned out to be a great one.
I told myself I can sit here on my butt and worry,wonder and all the lot or get off it and accomplish things.

So I ran some errands, went to my soulmates house and did some yardwork. Came home hit the pool and then the mood swings kicked in, it was crazy. I felt so good with swimming and then the minute I got out of the shower BAM it hit me like a hammer. My soulmate called at the right time and encouraged me to keep going with my progressive day. So I decided to hit the golf course. A Battle I had to win because that was where this started, Brave or Crazy? So I took this thought I Love Golf and don't want to lose that in my life either. So my logic was this. Walk 9 holes no golf cart! It's hard to carry a 6 pack and golf clubs. I also new that it would be great excersise and get some more fresh air circulating through my system. Hopefully enticing rest and my first decent nights sleep. Right now this is my only current fear because I would really love to get through the night.

Work tommorow so it will be an easier day.

By the way! I never craved alcohol today. Thought about it alot. But that thought made me cringe. I know this demon is probably laying back and waiting for an opportunity to show its teeth. But with my victories today. I will be prepared.

Thanks again for all the support.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your progress...

Please click on the link below for tips on sleeping

Insomnia? 41 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

Hope they help you.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh, can I relate to this post. I went on a three day binge this weekend. The consequences each time seem to get greater and greater. First I had my boyfriend so pissed off at me that he holes got put in the wall (not by him, but by me after he screamed at me to leave the booze alone). Then I was so hung over yesterday I couldn't get my son to school. All day yesterday I felt like the lowest piece of crap on the earth. Then I didn't sleep a wink despite trying to obtain sleep with Tylenol PMs.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello,

I just wanted to suggest that you be sure that your are quitting drinking for yourself and not your soulmate, don't want to build up a resentment that might bring you down someday. Good luck,

John
Old 06-10-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mustdothis View Post
May I suggest giving the meetings another chance?

The program works if you work it.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 5 Update

Woke up groggy but managed to only wake briefly once in the night. Night chills and sweats continued but not quite as bad. Got to work feeling OK - Slight headache so I took a BC Powder (First time I used any kind of drug to get through the withdrawls) BAD MISTAKE (I THINK) - Within an hour I felt like I had drank 6 pots of coffee - Anxiety kicked in and I felt like everything around me had a haze to it. I had a guitar lesson this afternoon and could barely play. Once I ate a couple of hours ago it started to disapate.

MY QUESTION TO ANYONE???????????????????????
Was it the caffeine in the BC Powder that triggered this our is this just another part of the withdrawls? Can I expect more of the same?

Carol- Special Thanks to you and your help

John- I am doing this for myself first, the situation between me and my soulmate may be damaged beyond repair. I hope not, but their is a side of me saying "Unconditional Love? Hmmmmmmm.......?" I do appreciate the concern and much thanks.

Didn't crave at all today - The thought actually still kinda turns my stomach! I feel lucky in that department.

And to the young lady who couldn't get her child to school - I feel for you. That's got to hurt. Do whatever you can to sober up. Once you start to see the end it doesn't suck. Not that i'm 100% better, still having many issues. Read as much as you can on this site and it will make you feel better.

THANK YOU TO ALL! And please stay SOBER!
Old 06-10-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

What's BC Powder?
Old 06-10-2008, 06:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Is it like Beechams powder we have here? A cold remedy with caffeine?

Anyway, congrats must. Being a binge drinker has it's problems, we can go 2 weeks and not drink, but we always 'rewarded ourselves' with an extra big binge depending on how long it was since the last one.
We are just as much an alcoholic as the daily drinker, what we do is just as 'insane'. But because we can go two weeks sober we may be tempted to believe we are not the same.