Notices

Ativan

Old 06-07-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hippy

Ativan

Am I right in thinking that this drug still gets used? I seem to think that I have read about it on this site, but someone else assures me it was banned a long time ago.
Hippy
Old 06-07-2008, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Nope, not banned at all. Still very much used...
It is a 1950's drug though..
Old 06-07-2008, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Most people call it lorazepam, now. It's a benzodiazepam, similar to valium, but stronger by the milligram then valium. For instance, it is commonly used in 0.5 mg. tabs, where valium starts higher, at maybe 2 mg. I take it for sleep or panic attacks very occasionally and I don't find it tempting to abuse, just makes me sleepy, not at all high. But there is abuse and addiction potential according to the literature. I guess some people have more trouble with benzos. I wouldn't use it frequently, that would be tempting fate.
kj
Old 06-07-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I use Ativan sporadically and only as a last resort.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No, it's not banned. My grandmother takes it daily for anxiety. And they gave it to me for anxiety too. Also, they gave it to me in the E.R. after I had a seizure to help relax my muscles, ease my headache, and they said it would help my back pain. It works. It's a benzo like Xanax, Klonopin, etc so be careful with it!
Old 06-08-2008, 07:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It seems to be popular for general anxiety stuff. Great medication *in the right circumstances*. Unfortunately it gets handed out far too easily, and for far too many things. If I had to pick a benzo, it'd be my choice (lasts a decent amount of time, effective, etc).
Old 06-09-2008, 02:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

Ped,
Why ativan instead of xanax?
My doc gives me xanax; 1/4 mg as needed. I take it *very* infrequently.

What's the difference; I mean, what is the prescribers reasoning in making the choice?

Thanks for any info you might have.
This is honestly just curiosity here. I *love* my doc, and am *not* second guessing him at all! And the xanax works when I need it, so, I have no need to change.

Shalom!
Old 06-09-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by historyteach View Post
Ped,
Why ativan instead of xanax?
My doc gives me xanax; 1/4 mg as needed. I take it *very* infrequently.

What's the difference; I mean, what is the prescribers reasoning in making the choice?

Thanks for any info you might have.
This is honestly just curiosity here. I *love* my doc, and am *not* second guessing him at all! And the xanax works when I need it, so, I have no need to change.

Shalom!
These are just my personal musings and shouldn't be considered medical advice, etc.

Xanax tends to be "quick in, quick out", which for certain things can be very helpful (giving a speech, short flights, etc)...though for other things it may not be as useful because you'll need to take multiple doses, which may or may not be a good way to go about things.

Something like Ativan should last a bit longer (its half-life is about 1.5-2.0 that of Xanax, which in general terms mean that the effects should be around longer because there would be more of the med still in the blood stream at a given time).

Something like Valium can last even longer than the previous two, which can be good for some stuff, but problematic for others.

Generally, a benzo is a benzo is a benzo (they all work the same way), the difference comes in potency, dosing amount, what you want to use it for, and how your body reacts to the level/length of the med in your system. These reasons are why it is important to talk with your prescriber about your needs and what best fits those needs. Unfortunately some prescribers may not initially go through all of this stuff, so it is important to have the discussion about purpose/use/need before starting up on something.

Hopefully that answers your question.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Life!

Sure does!
And I think I know why I have the xanax now as opposed to the other ones.
Those times I *need* anxiety help are normally short term problems that are "flash in the pan" type problems that tend to flash as a result of something that I have been dealing with effectively for a long time, but, then, BOOM! One big thing happens out of the blue that hits me in the gut, so to speak.

(Excuse the many mixed metaphores! )

Thanks, Ped...

Shalom!
Old 06-14-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think it is widely used in US but not in Europe.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was on ativans and found them too strong for me, kinda like being stoned. They gave them to me to sleep, relax the panick attacks, I used to feel very groggy in the mornings after taking them so I stopped, they switched me onto seroquels to help with the panick attacks and sleep deprevation I find they work much better for me than the ativans.

Yet I know two women at work with anxiety problems who use them regularily and depend on them long term. One woman has a disolvable type that melts in your mouth. For them they work great.