More being revealed....

Old 06-06-2008, 05:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

More being revealed....

RAH went to the psychiatrist yesterday that specializes in addiction and dual diagnosis.....he is bipolar. The doctor said that he was "textbook" and his form of bipolar is hallmarked by irritability and a hairtrigger temper. There are lots of forms of bipolar and he is bipolar II. He said that everyone of the horrible behaviors that we have been dealing with (rage, abuse, name calling, etc.) are rooted in the bipolar thing. It is most likely what led him into all of his addiction in the first place. He has started him on a cocktail of meds to stabilize this horrible disease. Even after the first pill he felt a lessening of the sypmtoms.

This certainly doesn't give him a hallpass for his behaviors but it does wrap some explanation around it all. Although I am grateful for this new information and the hope for treatment that it brings I feel really sad for the years of anguish that we have all gone through due to this being undiagnosed. It really makes me wonder how many other people are in the same boat.

I think that it is really important that if there is ANY suspecion of mental illness that a pyschiatrist needs to be in the mix. RAH has been with counselors that are not medically trained to make this kind of diagnosis. However, I do believe that they should have been astute enough to recognize the symptoms and referred him to the proper help. I know that when people are in active addiction it is not possible to accurately diagnos mental illness. But - if your addict is sober and still having aberrant behaviors and issues it might be helpful to get a pyschiatric evaluation. There is treatment and I hate that the immense damage that has occurred in my marriage and family could have been lessened sooner. I am extremely grateful to get this information now though.

Last edited by lightseeker; 06-06-2008 at 05:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-06-2008, 05:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Light, recovery houses in Canada are becoming more and more aware and enlightened to what is called "Concurrent Disorders" here, meaning any combination of addiction and mental illness. Which came first no longer matters at this point, but today treatment includes assessment and treatment of the mental disorders as well as recovery from addiction.

It is only when the addict has been clean for some time and stabilized health-wise, that any kind of accurate assessment can be done. But I am grateful that this is now recognized and part of the treatment plan.

Prayers for your husband, that he may get good help that will assist him in the years ahead.

Hugs
Old 06-06-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Professional Hanger On'er

My son is currently in detox where a staff psychiatrist evaluates and recommends treatment options. I, also, think it should always accompany and rehab plan.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Light - I'm going through the exact same with my AH - He is highly suspected to be bipolar. But he's not been off drugs long enough to be able to fully diagnose him. He was unoficially diagnozed last year. He did take some of the prespribed drugs for bipolar while he was clean (which was about 3-4 months) but said they just didn't help and started self medicating again.

AH saw a psychiatrist yesterday and he basically said nothing for bp will work if he's not clean. This is a horrible cycle - one that I'm really really struggling with. When he was diagnosed 2 years ago with bp I felt alot of hope. Like we'd FINALLY had an answer. Get him on the right meds and he'll be good to go. That is NOT the case and it is a very long road to even FIND the right meds and keep him clean long enough to allow them to work.

I myself have done tons of research on bp - it does seem like AH has rapid cycling bipolar, but again drugs can mimic every symptom of bp. Good luck to you - it is hard I know.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

It really makes me wonder how many other people are in the same boat.
I used alcohol and drugs for 24 years and 22 of them alcoholically. I was 9 years sober, when I literally went totally INSANE. Fortunately, thanks to the folks in the different meetings I attended, I found a Psych Dr that had dealth with lots of alkies and addicts.

I was diagnosed with BiPolar I. What a relief. I still don't know if when I started I was 'self-medicating' but I know that for years into my alcoholism the alcohol and drugs did help.

That was in 1990, and it took some time to find the correct medication and dosage that worked for me. I rarely now get a 'manic' episode and when I do they do not last long, and the rage and meanness is not there. My depression side is also under control to the point that I haven't seen the abyss in several years now.

I am happy that they have found the underlying problem with your hubby. It will take time, and he will still be working on his recovery, however, once they find the correct combination, he can lead a fairly normal life.

One thing I have found out, is the for some reason we Bi Polars seem to 'think' and 'process' information differently. We usually get to the same place as other folks, it's just that there is something in the brain that makes us look at the world, life, relationships a bit differently than others. It is hard to explain, but when I talk to another Bi Polar I can understand where they are coming from much quicker than from a "normie." With work though, I have learned that even though I truly do walk to a different drummer, I can still be a part of society and be a productive citizen.

J M H O

Hope that helps a bit.

Keep posting about you Lightseeker, we (I) do care.

Love and hugs,
Old 06-06-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Laurie - what do you think about irresponsible people with bp. What I mean by that is that if someone is so out of tune with their feelings, don't take time to think things through, doubt their diagnosis and don't take their meds properly. The thing that so worries me about AH is that he is very out of tune with his feelings. Has no clue when he's being manic. He sees that as being productive. It seems the more I read about bp that it's the truely responsible or in tune with their feelings individuals that succeed. The ones that follow up on their appts with counselors, doctors, express their feelings to those to have their med's adjusted properly ect.

My AH is not that and never has been. I fear he's going to struggle for the rest of his life due to his irresponsibility. For 2 years he's been diagnosed with bp (nothing concrete due to drug use). Multiple doc's over the last few years have concurred with that diagnoses. But yet, he still doubts it.

Just some random thoughts I guess. I was very hopeful when he was first diagnosed. But I'm realizing that if he doesn't face what he needs to with this illness and with the drugs he'll die a very early death due to drug use.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It was suspected for years that RAH was bipolar but nobody would medicate for that until he was clean. Then I came on the scene and it's taken this long to finally got to this point. I think that what finally got him his wake up call was that he attacked me in front of my kids and has completely alienated his two sons. He couldn't deny that something was up because everyone in his life would not be around him. Plus, he felt angry and agitated all the time. His mania is the angry, explosive, rageful, grandious type. It's a long journey to get the right "cocktail" and even then it has to be adjusted...not a walk in the park but at least it's something to work with.

I'm feeling worn out, pissed off, relieved, grateful, sad - and just name it. It sure has been a long haul and I'm not kidding myself because I know there's a lot more to it. The good part is that I sure have learned a heck of a lot about boundaries and relying on myself. It is what it is but I know that I am a very different woman than the one that I was 3 three years ago when I started posting here. For so long I really missed the "me" that I used to be before all of this started. I'm getting to the point where I don't miss "me" anymore because I'm actually liking this me better. I've been feeling a lot more resourceful and empowered lately and it feels good. I sure don't fully understand what kind of coping mechanisms (and why) that I developed when I was growing up but it sure has been a long tough road to relearn new ways of doing things.

I feel a lot of compassion for all that we go through...Callie - when I read your words I am reminded of what deadly diseases these things are. Your AH sounds like he is caught in a spin cycle of not getting "well" because he can't get "well" enough to take the right medicine to help him be "well". I don't know any answers for that one except turning it over to HP.

hugs