If you could spare a prayer

Old 06-05-2008, 07:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you could spare a prayer

A Naranon friend of mine has received some very bad news regarding her AS. He was a college student apparently supporting his addiction through some pot sales on campus and was arrested last fall. The state he is in appears to be rather intolerant...he has been in jail for 8 months without even an arraignment and he was beaten badly when they rammed down his door to arrest him. The whole story is tragic, but his attorney thought that today when they went to court and he plead guilty to the charges, he would walk away with time served and probation and/or rehab. My friend had bought a plane ticket to bring him home and made arrangements here for him. It didn't go that way...he was sentenced to 8 years in prison with 4 years mandatory. He is far away in another state, alone and scared and his mom is absolutely devastated, alone in a hotel room after hearing the sentencing in the courtroom today. My heart hurts for both of them, he is just 22 and an only child to this single mom.

I know that SR prayers are very powerful. If you could spare a prayer for D and her son, that they may find the strength and serenity to make it through this difficult time and that her son will be safe as he serves his time. There is so much more I'd like to pray for...an end to the nightmare for both of them, but I do understand, HP has a plan. Although it makes no sense to me right now, more will be revealed. Thanks my friends.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

oh this is so sad...... my heart goes out to both of them. I pray that this time will go well for both of them and that their HP will be holding both of them tightly.

Love and hugs
Old 06-05-2008, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((Greet))

Sending hugs and prayers to you, your friend D and her son. I can't imagine what she must be feeling, sitting in a hotel and realizing her son isn't coming home for 4 years.

I always know HP has a plan, but sometimes it makes no sense to me (until later).

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-05-2008, 07:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Greet,

Prayers for them both; may they both come through this stronger and better people, somehow.

XO
GL
Old 06-05-2008, 07:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That really does seem harsh. I pray that their lives unfold the way they are supposed to.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Greet,
Big prayers coming for your friend and her son.
How devastating for her, and him....

Hugs,
Old 06-05-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers for D and her son going on
Old 06-05-2008, 07:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That seems harsh...but I agree that perhaps we just don't understand the plan.
Prayers for all involved, and another nudge prayer that an appeal can be considered.
You're a kind friend (((Greet)))
Old 06-05-2008, 07:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sending prayers for D and her son. May his HP hold him tight tonight & give them both strength. May his plan bring something wonderful. His mom is blessed to have a friend like you.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
cmc

Greet, I will gladly pray for D and her son; my heart goes out to them both.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

You all are so wonderful...I have tears in my eyes just knowing that you are here and care. Thank you so much for being the warm, wonderful people that you are. I know D and her son must feel the power of your kindness and I know it is comforting. :ghug
Old 06-05-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Oh gosh, sometimes things make me so mad. I don't get them. Many prayers going out to you all.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Prayers going out for your friend. I would also like to write a letter to the Governor of that state if I could get more details. Stuff like this is the very reason I think pot ought to be legal. This makes me really angry.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Prayers for your friend and her son. How sad and afraid they must both feel today. May faith take them out of their fear, and may justice be revisited.

Hugs
Old 06-06-2008, 03:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
To Life!

My thoughts and prayers are with them both as they live through this unjust penalty.
I too hope that there will be an appeal.
And that they are victorious.
All the while noting that I do not condone dealing - pot or any substance.
But, close to 5 years is absurd!
Some murderers and rapists get out in less time!

May I ask what state this is?

Shalom!
Old 06-06-2008, 03:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

He could have sold crack and heroin here and received 9 months. The system needs an overhaul. Sending prayers that he receive consequences that are fair for the crime. Prayers for his family that they find some peace. Hugs, Marle
Old 06-06-2008, 04:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

May I ask what state this is?
Georgia. My understanding is that they wanted to make an example of him...to deter dealing on campus. I suspect he was easy prey. The DA portrayed him as if he was preying off of unknowing students, rather than the addicted student using this as a means of supporting his own habit. From what I have been told, his lawyer was outlawyered. I really can't understand why the advice was to plead guilty and throw himself at the mercy of the court when there had been no plea agreement reached. I am trying not to ask why; the injustice seems so incomprehensible, so there must be soemthing much bigger than me going on. I think because he was advised to plead guilty, appeals are more difficult...Perhaps it must be based on improper legal advice? His mom is meeting today with the lawyer to find out what next. My prayers continue and I thank ou for yours.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

wow eight years for selling pot... sounds kinda crazy. I wish they had laws like that in nyc for crack, heroin and other hard core drugs. I am not making light of weed but it just doesnt seem fair.

hugs and prayers to D and his mom!!

Jewelz
Old 06-06-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

((Greet)) My prayers for both of them. It is not an isolated incident in Georgia I'm affraid. Jerry has a friend that was passing through Georgia and got stopped with a small amount of pot on him, got sentenced to 8years, could be out in 4. He's been in for almost a year now and they had some sort of deal where they are going to let him out in August.

What was told to his family, was that there is a judge that had a son doing pot, the judge thought he would teach his son a lesson and threw him in jail, he was 18. He was only supposed to be in for 30 days, unfortunately, he ended up in a brawl in jail and lost his life. The judge has been on a rampage ever since, dishing out severe sentences on anything involving pot.

Don't know if it is true or not, but as soon as I read your story, the first words out of my mouth to Jerry was it's got to be Georgia.

I hope this attorney she is meeting with can get him into that reduced sentence program.

Hugs
B
Old 06-06-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

Hugs and prayers for them both

(sounds like it's time for a new lawyer)