Notices

Hello everyone, I'm new here...

Old 06-04-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, I'm new here...

I just wanted to say hello, and maybe get some opinions. I consider myself a heavy drinker. For the last 3 years or so I have been drinking about 15 drinks a day, whether it be 15 beers, 8 beers and 7 shots, or 15 shots. Unfortunately I only drink top shelf beer and spirits (gets expensive). But, I have never blacked out, I never get hangovers, I never get "falling down" drunk. Most times people wouldn't even know I was drunk (except for my SO who knows I drink daily). I guess what I'm asking is, after reading some of the "horror" stories on this forum, am I an alcoholic or just a heavy drinker, or a drunk? I work everyday (don't drink), get things done around the house, am responsible and reliable, don't usually drive once I started drinking. So what are your opinions? And one more question, how many of you quit drinking, but can't quit smoking?

Thank you,
Old 06-04-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR

Being able to stop your drinking is the important part. Many here give the advice to go 30 days without drinking. If 30 days is not a problem then try 60 days.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are You An Alcoholic?

Well, you could do a test to find out.
IMO I wouldn't be asking myself if I was an alcoholic, I would be looking at why I posted on this site. What harm I might be doing to myself - physically if not mentally. Why am I doing it, might I be better off not doing it, etc etc. Only you can know these answers. Obviously you'd be better off financially!

Anyway, nice to meet you Hope you'll keep posting!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

If alcohol is causing difficulties in your life, then you are probably an alcoholic, but only you can decide that.

Why not try to stop for a fixed period, say a month? That should give you your answer.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Hey Slip. Glad that you found us.

I was one of those "responsible drinkers" as well. Did my work. Always on time, award winner, blah, blah. Loved my family...... But I'll tell you as I've told these wonderful folks here at SR, (and they wonderful) if it looks like it and it smells like it - don't step in it.

It is a rare individual that can consume the amounts that you are currently consuming and keep it steady at that level. You see, what we have here is a progressive thing. The longer you do it the more you can do. Then you wake up one day looking all yellow, stinking to high heaven while the good folks in the ER are sticking those paddles to you trying to bring you back.

It's just an alcohol thing my friend. Keep reading the posts here and asking questions. Also, if you Google "20 Questions" and answer honestly, that might help you decide.

Peace.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I recommend that you read "Under the Influence". This book will teach you a TON about alcoholism, and most if not all of your questions are addressed in this book.

I will share one part of this book. Early stage alcoholism has few symptoms, but one of them is tolerance. If 5 people go out and drink the same amount, the most "sober appearing" person often gets pats on the back for being able to handle their booze. Heck they may even be drafted to drive home because they aren't "that bad".

This person with the tolerance and ability to handle their booze is the one of the 5 people who is most likely to become a full blown alcoholic.

My horror story is pretty bad, but at one time I was completely functional, I just drank a lot when I drank. That progressed to being completely functional and drinking a lot, to being usually functional and drinking a lot, to being sporadically functional and drinking a lot, to being occasionally functional and drinking a lot, to being rarely functional and drinking a lot, to finally just drinking a lot.

Looking back on my drinking career, I could've seen it coming and gave up drinking a lot earlier, not to mention easier, than I did. I would like to save you that pain, but I cannot diagnose you. I suggest you read up on the disease and try the 30 day test as others have mentioned.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So most of you are mentioning this "30 day test". Are you saying that if I can go 30 days without a drink, that I don't have alcoholism, or that I am not an alcoholic? I have done quite a bit of reading, and a lot of of doctors say that not everyone can become an addict. I'm not saying I'm not, I acknowledge that I drink a lot but, I also acknowledge that it extremely rarely affects any part of my life ( health excluded ). I do not, and WILL not EVER accept the notion that I am powerless to a/any substance, which brings to the second part of my question. How many of you quit drinking but cannot quit smoking? The reason I ask is after smoking for almost 30 years (which is quite a long time to have an addiction) my SO and I decided to quit, cold turkey, I had absolutely no problems (withdrawals) other than a weeks worth of brain fog, where she, on the other hand had all the normal withdrawal symptoms, even after many months she struggled with it, I never struggled, it was quite easy for me. I smoked twice as much as her (2 packs a day). Please don't take me as being confrontational at all, I am just asking questions to get answers.

Thank you again,
Old 06-04-2008, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

As far as being an alcoholic, alcoholism, and/or addicition...

My own philosophy is that the alcohol use needs to be causing some kind of negative consequences in your life.

If you are having 15 drinks a day and you don't feel there are any negative consequences due to this activity... then just wait a while they will show themselves...!

Hopefully you will be alive to realize it.

(No offense, but are you serious or is this a 'gag/joke' thread? I mean can someone have 15 drinks a day and really seriously not think there is a problem?)

I'm not judging you, really, I write all of this with a smile on my face and your best interest in mind - no offense.

(P.S. My neighbor is down to about 90 pounds, dying slowly, can't breathe, tows around an oxygen bottle, still can't quit smoking.)
Old 06-04-2008, 12:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Slippingaway - It's good to have you here.

I can relate to you - it sounds as if you are concerned about the amount you are drinking but also concerned about being labeled an alcoholic.

No one will suggest that you are or are not - that is a question you must answer yourself.

Your current consumption is about the same as mine when I'm drinking. However I get wicked hangovers and must make sure to dose myself with painkillers and water before bed to lessen the effect. Even then I’m prone to depression and lack motivation the following day.

I didn't smoke cig's but I did smoke pot daily which was easier to give up than the alcohol.

If you decide you want to try and abstain from drinking and are having difficulties you will find a lot of support here.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tommy, no joke, and I am not saying there isn't an issue with my drinking ( I mentioned the health issue ). I am trying to get opinions as to what constitutes being an alcoholic. I am saying, that if/when I want to stop, I will not struggle with doing so. I have proven this with other vices many times. Why will nobody answer my nicotine addiction question. If you are powerless to alcohol, are you also powerless to nicotine, marijuana, cocaine, or any other "vice"? I'm sorry if you feel I'm making a joke thread...
Old 06-04-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I gave up smoking much easier than I did alcohol. I was a heavy smoker for probably 15 plus years (not sure exactly how many). I went back to the alcohol after having "given it up" several times.

My opinion on the alcohol issue is not whether you can give it up easily or not because I can pretty much give it up. Its more an issue that when you drink you can't stop at say 1 or 2 there has to be more every time you drink. I think whether you're hungover or not is not an issue because my step dad was NEVER hungover, but was a chronic alcoholic. Sometimes hangovers are a blessing in disguise. They make you actually think about your consumption.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by slippingaway View Post
If you are powerless to alcohol, are you also powerless to nicotine, marijuana, cocaine, or any other "vice"?
I would say probably. However, over the years I've stopped using cocaine, ecstasy, acid, mushrooms and marijuana without much difficulty (marijuana was the hardest) alcohol has been much much more difficult.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Horselover, good point, I can stop after just a couple/3 beers, If I need to get something done I won't continue drinking. Just Monday, I had 3 beers, but needed to finish something, didn't even think about it. I guess maybe this is my point. Some here have said that no matter what if I continue the way I am, I will become an alcoholic, so addicted that I won't be able to stop, maybe, but the logical side of me has to disagree. If alcoholism is diagnosed as a disease, it has to be genetic. A person diagnosed with lupus didn't do anything to cause it, yet still becomes infected. I feel that some people are predisposed to addiction, where others do not have the gene. Am I hurting my body, yes, and I know that, but it does not physically hurt anyone else.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I decided to stop drinking cause I couldn't function without it. I've had many relapses, the latest only this past weekend, but am determined to stop. I cannot quit smoking. I've smoked for over 40 yrs and just can't quit. I've tried everything. I need to stop smoking but I need much more to stop drinking. After I've gotten some serious sober time I may try again to quit smoking.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoBearish View Post
I would say probably. However, over the years I've stopped using cocaine, ecstasy, acid, mushrooms and marijuana without much difficulty (marijuana was the hardest) alcohol has been much much more difficult.
Bearish, I also quit Marijuana, wasn't really hard for me, I was a pretty heavy user. After about 18 years now, I had some with my neighbor, but it didn't want me to do it all the time. And I would argue that if we stopped using these substances, then we are not powerless to them. Again, to everyone, I am not belittling anyone or trying to cause static. I just want to open a dialogue on this.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Well, we're all here to help you, and each other, so keep coming back!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Slippingaway, That was my story for years, I would have bartenders say to me that I did not even look buzzed....All I can tell is I've been drinking 30 years everyday and got to work on time, even getting awards as employee of the year in 2005. My hangovers did not start until after I turned 40 and then they were a living hell which lead me to start day drinking to get over the guilt and feel better. Then 1.5 years ago I got my first DUI which was an extreme one. That turned me into a power drinker where after so many drinks I would swicth to RedBull n Vodka so I could keep going all night and then those are the worst hangovers ever! I could mix beer, wine, Jack, RedBull n Vodka and then have night cap to relax rum or whatever? Even if your not having problems right now if you drink 15 drinks and behind the wheel its a #'s game and it will happen when you least expect it...I was in the bar parking lot when they were targeting a bar for overserving....they were just waiting for you to get in your car!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I decided to stop drinking cause I couldn't function without it. I've had many relapses, the latest only this past weekend, but am determined to stop. I cannot quit smoking. I've smoked for over 40 yrs and just can't quit. I've tried everything. I need to stop smoking but I need much more to stop drinking. After I've gotten some serious sober time I may try again to quit smoking.
Least, just by using the word "cannot" is the reason you can't quit smoking. You need to be more positive! Our Creator ( whichever one you wish to believe in, or in my case, whether you believe in one ) created us in his/her/it's own image, by doing so, made us as strong as them. If you want it you go get it.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, maybe you're one of the lucky ones, slippingaway.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I started drinking and chewing tobacco in my early teens and kept it up for 27 years. I quit the tobacco in Dec. 2004, my drinking doubled but I still managed to get and stay sober in Feb. 2005. It can be done, but please talk to a doctor. By what I understand quitting both cold turkey wasn't the brightest thing to do.

I was a high functioning drinker too, so much has been shared so far that I won't bother repeating it. But there's one thing I've heard quite a few people share over the last few years that I now realize is true:

Normal drinkers don't contemplate or question whether or not they have a problem with alcohol. The thought never crosses their mind. I was an alcoholic from the first time I picked up a drink.