Notices

an old friend ran into me...

Old 06-03-2008, 11:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

an old friend ran into me...

not blaming, just saying we talked and got caught up and drank and toked some... he was an old friend that did a lot of damage to my relationship back in the day. so now i got to start over, like i said i'm not placing any blame what so ever, just thought i should say. :sorry
Old 06-03-2008, 11:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

...I find bumping into friends the hardest thing....everybody wants it to be like the old days...it's so hard to resist sometimes....definately the ultimate test for me and one which i've fallen down on many times. I don't see it as 'Starting over'...you've come along way....it doesn't mean all that work has been thrown away....it's still there to be built upon.
If I feel I need to catch up with certain friends who I know want to go for a 'Session', I try and see them early in the day and briefly...in and out!! Act busy...gotta run etc ...(only a lil' white lie...and better for everyone)
....it is worth asking though...why did you break your sobriety for someone who 'didi alot of damage to your relationship' ....if your gonna do it...do it someone worth it!
Best of luck Shandi....everyone's behind you.
ben
Old 06-04-2008, 12:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks, ben for the great advice~ i've been able to detour a lot of friends that still do that by doing just that... but as far as your question of why him? or to someone "who did a lot of damage", i'm still asking myself that same question, i guess we had something at one time, it's all screwed up, i guess it was just weakness coming from all directions, but i know when i say i'm sorry it's not to any one person in particular, its to my sobriety. thank you, for your support, and everyone. i love being here, and being able to be completely honest.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Shandi !! We've all been there. Good job on owning up and getting back on track.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Honesty is one of the primary keys to getting and staying sober, the person I found I had to be the most honest with was myself!!!!

In order for me to stay sober I have had to acknowledge that I am powerless over alcohol (Once it is in me) and that when I am drinking I am unable to manage my life.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Many of us had false starts on our way to solid recovery.

Day one is better
than Day Zero!

Keep in focus...you too can enjoy a healthy future.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My best friend from high school keeps calling me asking me to come down and visit her (she lives about 500 miles away.) She is a bartender and an active alcoholic. As much as I'd like to see her, I dont go, because I have come to realize that lately we only really get along when we are both drunk, in fact, since we were teenagers alcohol has been the only thing that has kept us close. She has a family now, and it is so hard to not see her, but I realize that we dont have much in common outside of booze. I told her so, and I can only hope that it made her think about it.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hey Shandi, good honesty in fessing up and starting over, that's a big jump in the right direction.

When I was on & off with alcohol I could always manage to 'bump into an old friend' when I wanted to drink.

Then when I realized I really wanted to stop drinking altogether I made a conscious choice not to 'bump into an old friend' anymore.

I was using it as an excuse to drink, be careful not to commit my mistake.