Notices

Day One For Me

Old 06-03-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ODAAT

Red face Day One For Me

Just got off hopefully my LAST bender.....

Today is day one. Wife gave me the ultimatum, shape up or ship out.
I've tried to permanently stop drinking so many times. Those damn triggers keep screwing with my mind.

I'm going to try this forum out, you guys help me and I'll do my best to help you.

32&Out
Old 06-03-2008, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life.

We all do it together, you're not alone.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

:ghug2Congrats! Remember--you must want to be sober for yourself--first and foremost..... I wish you well on your road to recovery!
Old 06-03-2008, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome...I to am done (2 days) and never want to do the 3 or 4 day benders...
30 years of drinking is enough a?...time to stop the Isane lifestyle and get off this merry-go-round!

It really does help to read the board...were not alone!
Old 06-03-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi 32 & O

Welcome and congratulations for making the choice. We're here for you.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

The desire to quit is a great start. The only questions I have are who are you quitting for? and What are you willing to do to quit drinking?

Mainly just food for thought. I encourage you to read, learn and continue to post.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ODAAT

I am quitting for me...yes... However I feel much more motivated to quit in order to keep my family together. My drinking is a huge strain on my marriage and consequently my fathering of our 2 year old.... I just don't want to be a big drunk anymore. I'm fed up with all the crap that keeps falling on me. I make mistake after mistake after mistake. Keep making the same damn mistakes. I'm done.

I have to be done. God help me....I'm quitting if it takes all I've got to do it. I have been trying to quit off and on for about 8 years now. Last night was just another night in a long list of nights.....I must change this life, before it kills me.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What have you tried in the past to quit? Do recall anything that worked for a bit? Have you tried outpatient, inpatient, AA or any other programs of recovery?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can do it 32 - One day at a time
Old 06-03-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us.

You sound like you are ready for sobriety. You'll find lots of support and information here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ODAAT

In the past I have tried AA meetings, cold turkey, keeping busy, prayer, bible, church,...

Never hospitalization, although the Shick Shadel hospital in Seattle has a good reputation........

I just don't want to say the same dumb things........."one more try on my own" "I'll get it this time" "next time I'll do that"........... I'm scared of making mistakes. And usually if I make a tiny mistake, it's just a reason to booze up again. I think........"Oh I blew it, might as well get hammered"

I will just keep reading this board as long as I can for now. That is were I am right now.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Have you ever worked the 12 steps? I went to meetings all the time--but didn't do the Steps....needless to say>I kept getting drunk. The 12 steps are what has made the difference this time, plus working with a sponsor. I have also started carrying the message. :ghug3
Old 06-03-2008, 02:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I lost my 12yr marriage to drink and now theres no going back. You have got out while you still have your relationship, cherish what you have.

I have 9 days sober and so greatful that I have this forum for when things get tough.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 06-03-2008, 06:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Angelina brought up a good point - did you just go to meetings or did you work the AA program of recovery; more specifically the 12 Steps. AA didn't really click for me until I was ready to quit. When that happened I was open to trying the program instead of just attending the meetings. My involvement is what keeps me sober today.

There are other programs out there too and most importantly - don't be afraid to fail. You can learn a lot from life's setbacks and actually, I only consider giving up hope and giving up trying to be failing. Everything else you can bounce back from and learn from.

You have friends here who have been there, done that and who are willing to help and share with you. Keep posting and keep moving forward.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 32andOut View Post
Just got off hopefully my LAST bender.....

Today is day one. Wife gave me the ultimatum, shape up or ship out.
I've tried to permanently stop drinking so many times. Those damn triggers keep screwing with my mind.

I'm going to try this forum out, you guys help me and I'll do my best to help you.

32&Out
Realize two things. At some point you'll have to stay sober for yourself, the reason you have for trying sobriety today might not be around down the road. Try to get some outside support, AA is probably one of the better support mechanisms you can latch onto. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Welocome to our site. Your new home for tons of caring and supportive folks. Just stay with us and keep posting. Keep in mind that in a day or so you will start to feel funky - inside. You should have a plan in place to get some medical help pretty fast if it becomes necessary. Get your wife on board with you.

My prayers are with you and your family.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mistakes...or just learning?

Ah....yer always gonna make mistakes...just don't be a drunk making mistakes...that's WORSE.
I make 'em all the time...just ask the cat people here.....
Anyhow...so what...mistakes will happen. It just means yer a lil closer to success...even if you can't see it.
This IS the best time in your life....notice it...this too shall pass.
One day at a time....just for today is all.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

32 welcome to SR, a lot of good shares already.

I tried for many years to stay sober my way and I always wound up drinking again. I reached the point where I had to be medically detoxed in order to just get physically sober.

I would highly recommend that you see your doctor ASAP and let your doc know the whole truth about your drinking, detoxing can kill some folks without medical supervision.

In order for me to stay sober I knew I could not do it alone, in my detox they reccommended AA which is what I use today to stay sober.

There are several recovery programs, pick one and go with it, work it, follow all the suggestions of the program you have chosen, if you find after following all the suggestions given by a certain program that you can not stay sober try another one.

Now in regards to AA there is a huge difference between just going to AA meetings and working the AA program of recovery, I was barely able to stay sober for 2 months after I got out of detox even though I was going to at least a meeting a day everyday and had a sponsor.

What I found to be the ticket for me was me working the entire program of AA with my sponsor, that meant working all 12 steps, going to meetings, doing service work, applying the 12 step principles in all my affairs, and working with other alcoholics.

Sounds like a ton of stuff to do doesn't it? Well it averages out to about 4-5 hours a week now and being sober now I do so much more with my family then I ever did when I was drinking.

In detox my councilor told me that for the first 3-4 months if I wanted to stand a chance at staying sober I needed to dedicate as much time to my program of recovery as I did drinking........... well I have been sober for 21 months now and I am loving life and my family respects and loves me now.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
ODAAT

Day 2....
Still here, reading posts and trying to stay focused.