seizure and coma due to wellbutin

Old 06-01-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

seizure and coma due to wellbutin

I just spoke to my SO. He says he had a respiratory seizure due to Wellbutin. I did do some research and that is a serious side effect especially for someone who may have liver problems. His brother is still holding to the drinking thing. My SO does not lie to me when he is sober....he never has and he is definitely sober after over a week in a coma. His brother wants him to go to a therapeutic community for a year and my SO wants to go back to the sober house. And the sober house will not take him if he had been drinking.

So if this is the case, he has been sober for 3 months, working AA and attending outpatient therapy. He is also working when he can find it. So that is something to support. But no, he won't be coming back home anytime soon.

Doreen
Old 06-01-2008, 11:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update dor. I hope that he is able to find help and health.

gentle hugs
Old 06-02-2008, 12:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi, dor.

i'm very sorry about these troubles and hope health is on the way.

fwiw, i take wellbutrin myself and i was firmly cautioned on this side effect. i am through and through al-anon, have no history of alcohol dependency. but i was told by the doctors (along with others in my group at the hospital) that it's not a good idea to prescribe wellbutrin even if an alcoholic has stopped drinking, that seizures are more likely.

for a non-drinker like myself, it is not an issue. but for someone who has ever had a drinking problem, the likelihood increases, and they said of someone has ever had a seizure due to alcohol abuse, the chances of a seizure from wellbutrin are much much greater.

i don't know if this is helpful at all. if not, just ignore me. you obviously have a full plate and are handling much already. but i thought i'd share just in case it was useful.

abc
Old 06-02-2008, 03:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for that information. It confirms what I researched and it helps to hear it firsthand. Obviously he is no longer taking the Wellbutin but is still on Lexapro. Believe it or not, they are supposedly releasing him today. He plans to make some phone calls this AM to see if he can go back to a sober house and continue his recovery.

Thanks again,
Doreen