Notices

Hello!

Old 05-31-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello!

Greetings -

Long time depressive, first time poster.

I'm here because I finally realized that I'm sliding into depression, and I'm really frightened about this one. My whole support system has changed since the last time I was sick, and I don't know how I'll hold up.

I only realized something was wrong because I've been drinking too much (self-medication). So I cut out the alcohol, which will make my life much easier. But I just don't have the energy, or, frankly, the money to handle this right now. It's all really quite depressing.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here! I have battled depression off and on throughout my life--mostly while I was drinking..(I suppose because alcohol is a depressant). I am also an alcoholic. For me, working the 12 steps has been a life saver--it is a program for daily living>not just to work to get off alcohol or other substances. Anyone can benefit from them. Have you ever been on meds to treat depression or seen a doctor in the past about this? Just curious. But being off alcohol....will help temporarily...but usually doesn't vanish on its own. Hang around while--plenty of good info/shared experience here. :ghug2
Old 05-31-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, sleepygrrl,
And welcome to SR!

I'm sorry to hear you're not doing well. It's hard, I know. I just went through my second depression, and it sucks. Thankfully, both mine were situational.

It sounds like yours is too. Stopping the drink will help plenty.
Then, start doing positive things for yourself. I *know* it's hard. But, it's imperitive for your well being.

We need to care for our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well being.
That means, eating right; exercising and, like you've already done, quit the drink. It's a depressant, and no good for you right now. No drugs either, unless prescribed by your doc. Get enough sleep, but, not too much.

Mentally, make a conscious decision to learn something new. It doesn't need to be rocket science. Learn to cook; garden; sew; build model airplanes; swim; a new language; whatever... Use your mind. You'll be amazed at how good you will feel about yourself with this accomplishment!

Emotionally, take the time to feed your soul with positive affirmations. Learn to reject the negative self talk -- it's a lie. Do yoga or rikki or something. Meditate. Take a bubble bath. Light candles and put on good soothing music. Dance like no one's watching! Light some inscense.

Spiritually, reconnect with your Higher Power, whom I prefer to call G*D. Take classes at your local church, mosque or synogogue. Listen, and really *hear* what the prayers are saying. Connect it to your own life. Practice your spirituality in your daily life. You'll be amazed at the power of the feeling that the transcendance you'll get will give you.

I know this is a tall order when you're depressed.
So, start small. Make one task a day a priority.
Then, build upon it. A little at a time.
Your spirits will rise, and you'll begin to feel so much better as you do positive things for yourself. Life will look better. And, you'll be able to see the good once more. :>)

Continue to post and let us know how it's going. We care.

Shalom!
Old 05-31-2008, 09:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR and welcome to our mental health forum.

I hope you will find this forum as supportive and informative as I have.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

welcome!
Old 06-05-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Grateful...

Thank you all for the positive feedback and support! I'm continuing to stay off the drink - the nice thing with that is that it's one less thing to worry about. I also have a day off tomorrow, so that's a little more time for doing positive things for myself.

Still trying to learn how NOT to put a brave face on things - that's definitely a project to work on!