Lemonade Stand

Old 05-31-2008, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Lemonade Stand

I drove past a little girl with a lemonade stand today. She had her table, chair, a big sign, a pitcher of lemonade and glasses. She was all ready for business.

I remember when life was much simpler for my sons.... lemonade stands, baseball games, kites, trees. I can't decide if I want it to still be that simple for them or if I am grateful for the life lessons they've learned.

I DO know that I have more errands to run, and I will buy a glass of fresh lemonade from that pint sized entrepreneur.

Hugs
Cats
Old 05-31-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Oh, have a glass for me too. I recall drinking the profits when my best friend and I had a stand many years ago. Her mom made chocolate chip cookies too, that we gave away free with each glass.

Life WAS simpler then, and I suspect if we removed all the "junk" that gets in our way today, we could live simply today too.

Thanks for the reminder, Cats. I think I'll dedicate this weekend to "keep it simple".

Hugs
Old 05-31-2008, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Memories!

I remember not to many years ago having a lemonade stand with my sweet little "adopted" grandaughter. At that time I was babysitting for her, and her two cousins. I babysat for years for them all. My special one was only 3 months old and I took care of her for 10 years until we moved here.

Anyway, we had this lemonade stand and the lemonade we actually squeezed lemons and so it was homemade and fresh-squeezed. However, we ran out of lemonade so I quickly ran to the store and bought the lemonade in the cartons and sold that instead.

We had to then change our sign because the children said the sign indicated that we had made it ourselves so, we were cheating! God forbid I wreck another crew of kids, so we changed the sign to read:

OK, IT'S NOT HOMEMADE, WE BOUGHT IT AT THE STORE!

This hispanic man was working outside that day, and he looked so tired and thirsty that I suggested we give him a glass free. They said ok. The man then came over and drank glass after glass. The kids were looking at me as if to say, "get the money!" He didn't speak english! I couldn't bear to ask for money! I just said to the kids, "sometimes, you just have to give!" After 5 glasses (small cups) he said "thank you" and started to walk away. I shrugged my shoulders to the kids and said, "just remember what a good deed you did today!" All of a sudden the man turned around and gave the kids $5.00! Wow! were they excited, me too!

What fun that was. I hope they never forget.

Sorry about "hi-jacking" your post Cats, but couldn't resist.

Hugs, Devastated
Old 05-31-2008, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

What memories a little lemonade stand can bring back, eh?

Have a glass for me too, Cats...
Old 05-31-2008, 09:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cmc

Thanks Cats for bringing back some nice memories...I didn't have a lemonade stand but I _did_ door to door sales! I sold tiny quartz rocks to all the neighbors!!! A little blonde headed girl with a smile and an explanation of what made each rock special...took in about thirty cents in one day!! lol
Old 05-31-2008, 09:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Loved this thread! Everyone's thoughts have cheered me up so much!:ghug
Old 06-01-2008, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love this thread, too! Thanks for reminding me to "keep it simple".

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-01-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

Love the thread, Cats.
Miss the times.

I have a boys club at work and once a month
we do activities based on the "Dangerous Book for Boys".
It's my Dangerous Boys Club.
To recruit I simply ask them their age and then ask if they're
dangerous. I get smiles, confused looks, giggles, shrugging shoulders.
Well, a few months ago at one of our meetings, I was teaching them
Morse Code. On the paper I had put in code...
Snakes and snails and puppy dog tails,
that's what little boys are made of.
And ya know, not one of those poor kids had ever heard that saying.
I was shocked. So I now add a little saying or trinket of wisdom from
when I was a child. It's so sad that parents don't bother to teach
their children things they heard or learned as a child. Just sad.
There's even a book out now called, "Humpty who?"
It has loads of things that every child should grow up knowing.
I mean, dang! it's part of being American to know that Jill pushed Jack
down that blasted hill because he was forcing her to carry that water. lol
Cats, thanks for the reminder of good times shared and memories that
can live forever.
Hugs,
Linda
Old 06-01-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
cmc

book...those rhymes and word games are critical to creating certain synapses in the brain...not mention all the fun social interaction of playing hopscotch, pattycake, marbles, cat's cradle and jump rope with pals.

Humpty Who? I'd like to read that one...it's sad that there need to be such a book.

I wonder if my HMO would mind if I put up a lemonade stand in my front yard? lol
Old 06-01-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nursery Rhymes

Hi Book, I taught my kids all those nursery rhymes. I also taught the children I babysat. They knew them all, including the "It's raining, it's pouring!"

They loved them. My little adopted grandaughter always use to say, "tell me a story about when you were a little girl!" She loved the stories.

Memories!

Hugs, Dev
Old 06-01-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

We played a board game with friends recently - the board game version of the TV Show Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? The outcome of the game: I OBVIOUSLY wasnt' paying attention in science class but I knew every dang nursery rhyme and silly song that was thrown at me.

The one that put me OVER to the winning side? "How did Mistress Mary's garden grow?"

I agree, those things are timeless AND necessary. I taught them to my sons and will definitely teach them to any grandchildren .... or other stray youngsters who end up on my doorstep.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I don't know how old all you are but do any of you remember getting the lemons with the sugar stick? yum
Old 06-02-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hmmmm?

Hey Cats, was that the same as Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary how does your garden grow? I can't remember all of it anymore.

Rahue, never heard of sugar sticks and I'm old, 68!

Hugs, Devastated
Old 06-03-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just read a story that made me think of you. A little girl in Ogden, Utah has set up a lemonade stand to get money for surgery for her cat, "patches". Patches has a partial paralysis, and a vet recommended a leg amputation so she could have a more normal life....$700.

So, the little girl set up a stand with a sign that says "buy a drink, help my cat" (or something like that). I sure hope she gets a lot of animal lovers out there to help her out.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy