Notices

New and unsure.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and unsure.

I am new to the forum.
I have been white knuckling it for two days and I am unsure how to proceed. Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Star- I am glad that you found this site. It has been a great resource of support and information for me. I have been sober for 37 days. I can share with you what worked for me. I would not have been able to stay sober without help. I sought that help from AA. You can look online to find an AA meeting near you. The first couple meetings were a little intimidating, but I think they are for everyone. I have found a lot of love and support in the meetings and on here.

If you think that you may need medical assistance to stop drinking please call your doctor.

Best of luck.... and welcome!

:ghug
Old 05-29-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi

Thank You Dsoda I am considering going to a meeting but have never been to one before. Do you just show up and take a seat?
Old 05-29-2008, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR
Old 05-29-2008, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What are you coming off of and how long were you doing it? Consulting your doctor is a very good idea. Medical supervision would be helpful to keep you safe while withdrawing.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No AA

glad to have you here. this is the best place on the web to hang out and be/get sober (imho)
come and join in at the 2wks and under thread --lots of great ppl there.
im on day 3 myself.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Star- Just show up and take a seat. More than likely you will have people come up to you and offer you their support. If you feel comfortable enough doing so, you can ask just about anyone in there for direction and I am sure that they will be more than willing to help.

More than likely... at the beginning of the meeting they will ask the newcomers to introduce themselves. Don't be afraid to do so. Remember everyone in that room has been exactly where you are at some point.

I am glad to hear that you have already looked into it. AA freaked me out at first, but I have stuck with it. Initially because I was desperate and nothing else worked, but I have to admit.... it is growing on me now!

Last edited by DSodaNow; 05-29-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by DSodaNow View Post
I can share with you what worked for me. I would not have been able to stay sober without help. I sought that help from AA. You can look online to find an AA meeting near you. The first couple meetings were a little intimidating, but I think they are for everyone. I have found a lot of love and support in the meetings and on here.
Worked for me too, here's what you can expect http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-about-aa.html
Old 05-29-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi

Thank You all for your advice!
The urge has left me at the moment and I am trying to figure out what my next move should be.