replacing the drugs with prescription drugs?

Old 05-28-2008, 11:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

replacing the drugs with prescription drugs?

AH was really badly stressed out last night, shaking and crying etc and i did my best to calm him down which worked a bit but he ended up taking himself up the hospital to see if they could give him something to calm down. I told him i wouldnt go with him as i didnt agree with it and thought it was just turning from one bad thing to another, that he needs to do this himself without other drugs. Anyway the hosp. was full so he didnt bother waiting. He is at his counselor right now and i know he is going to ask her to prescribe him some pills to take for when he is flipping out. Does anyone elses recovering/addict take anything to help and what are your thoughts on this? ta xx
Old 05-29-2008, 03:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

Hi Mrssez, hope everything is well with you.....

When I first went into rehab(11-07) it was called a "Dual diagnosis " type of facility. Which meant that the professionals that worked there all believed there was some other medical reason for why I was using drugs. Being that I was depressed, bi -polar, or had bad anxiety. You get the picture. I saw a psych doctor there and they diagnosed me with GAD(generalized anxiety disorder). They wanted to put me on 10mg of lexapro for something like 6 months to a year.

I decided not to take the meds after long consideration and a discussion with my parents about it. Yes i did have bad anxiety at the time, but that was not because i had GAD..it was simply because i was coming off a serious heroin habit!! That is all part of the withdrawal when you stop using a drug. Of course your going to be extra anxious and have depression etc when you are stopping a mind altering substance you are so used to.

Also my therapist gave me a great analogy for those meds that they wanted me to take. He said, "Yes the medication is quite helpful to many people, but instead of giving you a life-jacked(medication), lets teach you how to swim instead(non meds coping with daily life etc) Dunno why but that always stuck with me. But thats the situation i went through, managed to stay clean through today, hope that helped somewhat ;\

Hope you and your AH are able to get through these tough times and have a wonderful future together

~~Scotty
Old 05-29-2008, 05:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I also believe many addicts do self medicate due to dual diagnosis. I've been in his shoes before, and for a time period I did need other drugs to help with my anxiety, years before I even discovered meth.
PTSD, and other things caused this. If someone tried to stop me from the regime and therapy my doctors had me on, I would no longer be here.

JMO

:ghug