Notices

major triggers today

Old 05-28-2008, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

major triggers today

urgh just really need to vent on here as im feeling about ready to explode.
Yesterday was doing good, feeling better and like i was getting somewhere- today i get up really early and take the kids o n a train ride to visit my parents- always a tough one, my mum is a big drinker and really misses her *drinking buddy*, she also refuses to accept that i have a problem with alcohol- possibly because a) she has one herself, and b) my older brother is an active advanced alcoholic with mental health issues- so i think she looks at me as if ive lost my mind when i say i cant drink these days......
So i get there and immediately she suggests getting the wine out , its like about 11 am ...... i refuse , repetedly, and eventually my dad steps in and produces fizzy water and we get through lunch....1pm, she suggests the pub- i get a bit mad with her and she lets it go,
Rest of the afternoon passes without any problems but i just felt generelly agitated and like i didnt want to stay long.
So now im back home- and my husband, well he HATES my family, theyve been fueding for years, i like to compare them to kids in a school playground..... he generelly decides to give me the full silent treatment when ive dared to venture up there- usually i would have got myself pretty drunken with my mum- telling myself i "needed it" to face his attitude when i get home.
Instead im here sober and just feeling so goddamn EVIL (thats the only way i can describe my mood) thinking how ******* DARE he be like this- and how the hell to deal with him when im so used to getting drunk and locking myself away upstairs :S..... No alcohol in the house though- i made sure of that before i left as i KNEW it was going to be hard,
Thanks for letting me vent, i hope i feel a bit calmer soon.:praying
Old 05-28-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi SN

Hey great job on not drinking with your Mum!!! And I'm sorry your having a such a tough day.

You can make it through the day - that's all you have to do.

Sending you good thoughts
Old 05-28-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

calming down a bit now, i just wanted to attack him for drinking the last of the coffee........ i think im getting things out of perspective here ..... breathe...........breathe.:rof
Old 05-28-2008, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I think your handling it very well. Great job and keep it up.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

just going to sit here, read posts and keep myself out of his way and away from any licensed premises....
Old 05-28-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have similar problems just getting along with the girls' dad. I just have to forgive him for being an ass and try not to 'engage' him. He likes to scream and accuse and I'm having none of that.

It will get better. Sorry hubby is so unhelpful right now. Will he come around later on and be Mr Nice Guy?

:ghug3
Old 05-28-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i dont have 3 kids- i have 4, and the 4th one is the moodiest most stroppy S.O.B youll ever meet. (hubby)
No doubt he'll come round when he wants something- as children do
I guess if i was drinking over this id be just as horrible, if not WORSE to him, GOT TO KEEP REMINDING MYSELF THAT!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 12:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Supernothing,

One of the changes I made when I stopped drinking was to distance myself, emotionally, from my family. There was no doubt in my mind that I had to do that, so that my mother's barbs wouldn't get to me. We still communicated but I had firm boundaries. It did me a lot of good. You did great and you'll get much more used to dealing with difficult situations.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Why not take a walk and pick up some tea? It's a bit late for coffee anyway no?

Seriously tho' it is really annoying when adults behave like children and our friends/family don't support us in our struggles.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

good suggestion but the only place that sells tea round here at this hour is the off license.......... so maybe not a good plan
Im thinking of putting some extremely agressive music on and polishing my baby (kawasaki) until shes shining, always helps.....
Old 05-28-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by supernothing View Post
good suggestion but the only place that sells tea round here at this hour is the off license.......... so maybe not a good idea
Ahh yes - probably not a good idea. Break out the chrome polish!!
Old 05-28-2008, 02:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Super,

Have I told you how impressed I am with you lately???

Seriously, you have such a gentle and funny approach all the while dealing with some really cracked up stuff. I think you bringing your kids to visit their grandparents is important. It seems like you know that just because it's hard for you, it doesn't mean they don't still have the right to know their gram and gramps. And I respect that. You put yourself out and weathered that storm and you did a great job!

And then you get home to Mr. Grumpy-Still-Drinking and you find a way to keep your balance and keep it in perspective.

I've been feeling sorry for myself all day. No good reason. Basically just because I want my husband to take care of me better and I want to drink and school's almost out so the kids are going to be home all the time, and, and, and..... I kept finding more reasons to pout to myself. And then I read your post and now I feel like a wimp.

So, make it official - you inspire me. I think you are doing a great job.

And, I really like your new signature phrase! ( :

Love, Emilie
Old 05-29-2008, 01:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

MLE- check your visitors messages, because of YOUR post in response to one of mine im facing up to a BIG BIG issue today,
YOU inspire ME also.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Perhaps when your husband sees you interacting with your family and not drinking he will become more charitable. Maybe that is why he has a problem with your family to begin with?
Old 05-29-2008, 07:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

how i wish it were that simple- husband hates family and family hate him because their all peas in a pod who love to drink and point fingers at each other!
Its quite nice being the odd one out at the moment
Old 05-29-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Super you are doing well, keep on keeping on!

The road to sobriety is not easy, it takes work, but it is well worth it in the end.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good morning Super. How shiny is your bike today?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

extremely shiney bike but my mood isnt any brighter :sorry, at least im at work this evening- bestoff out the way i think
Old 05-29-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sorry your feeling down, but still very proud of you for yesterday. Your mood will pass.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I found visiting my family was a downer for me too....
and they did not drink!!
Mega Hugs