I remember when...

Old 05-28-2008, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I remember when...

I remember when my mom would pull into a gas station and tell the man, "$2 of regular, please." I think that gave us 6 or 8 gallons. AND he checked the oil and washed the windshield!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

roflmao

I remember when I could pull into a gas station and get $2.00 of regular and it would be 8 gallons and yes all the fluids would be checked, they would add air to the tires if needed and the windshield got washed also. Yeah I know I have really 'dated' myself now, lmao. So y'all don't have to wonder, I turn 63 in early July, lol.

Of course, the going rate of pay was around 2.00 an hour if you were lucky.

But, yes the rising gas costs are causing lots of raises in costs. Not only food but almost any item we buy.

When does it end? Who knows. Let's go back to horse and buggy, I sure wouldn't mind, lol.

J M H O

Love and Hugs,
Old 05-28-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can remember

LOL Cats. I can remember borrowing the family car and all the kids in the car would chip in enough money to put a buck in it. We could drive around all evening and that one buck replaced the used gas. Geeze!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Did you ever sleep in the back window on long car trips? I remember doing that. And when my family moved from Denver to Iowa, we had 3 kids and 2 German Shepherds in the back seat. Each dog slept in a wheel well. The cat was up front on the floor in front of my mom.

HOW did we all survive those times without seat belts and air bags and ethanol?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I ALWAYS slept in the back window! And when dad slept in the back seat, on long trips, he could actually stretch out! Haven't found a car that wide in a long, long time. I'm only 5'6" but no way I can stretch out in my car.

Gas prices are killing me. My old boss has a Navigator...she asked me if I wanted to drive it and I said "yeah, if you'll get me a bank loan to fill the sucker up with gas!". She found a boyfriend with a smaller, fuel-efficient sports car and has parked the Navigator.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just filled up this morning and told the kids when I got back in the van that it cost $100. Their mouths all dropped and hopefully they will remember it the next time they are bugging me to drive them to a friends' house that they can walk or ride to !
Old 05-28-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I remember when I had my first job and first car, not all that long ago. Once a week I filled up my gas tank and it was always $10.00 the first week that it cost me $12.00 I was mad cause 1 day Id have to pack my lunch.

Wow, $10.00 and gas doesnt get me anywhere these days.

Remember when mailing letters first went to a quarter?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Remember when mailing letters first went to a quarter?
I was just thinking about that too... with unlimited calls on my phone it's a lot cheaper to call someone than to send them a letter!

WHEN is the last time you wrote a letter to someone. NOT an email or a txt msg, but an honest to god letter ?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I remember turning in pop an beer bottles for money that we used to put gas in the car. Your right a dollar went along way back then. Sometimes we would just get 50 cents worth of gas.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just put my last 5 bucks in my car and the lady laughed at me!!!! Didnt even take the gas light off. It used to cost 8 bucks to fill up my car and now it cost 47!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Being the gal of etiquette, that I am, I sent 3 thank you letters to florida to friends that had us over for dinner...

I remember sleeping on the floor on the way to vacation, I'd curl up in a little ball like a cat...
(gee, don't know why I can't assume that position now...)
Old 05-28-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I remember sleeping on the floor on the way to vacation, I'd curl up in a little ball like a cat...
(gee, don't know why I can't assume that position now...
DUH.

It's because they make cars smaller, doncha know?
Old 05-28-2008, 02:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My daughter was telling me the other day that she remembered (LOL-she's only 21!) that when she first got her license at 16, it cost under $20 to fill her car, and now it's around $40. I hadn't realized that gas had over doubled in cost in just 5 years....

I remember taking the cross-country trip with the old station wagon, putting down the back seat and laying blankets and pillows down where we five kids could all stretch out and play or sleep. It's so uncomfortable now to travel.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So these are the stories that will replace the stories that I heard growing up from my parents....
you know those stories ...

I used to have to walk 5 miles, uphill, in the snow, barefoot to school.

I went to the gas station tonight and filled up my car ... a very small car.... I stopped at $50...
Never, in my life have I put $50 in my car...
between that $50, and the quick $50 at the supermarket - I am broke.

I did not even make that much money today at work.

Thanks, I have now become my mother....

Colleen
Old 05-28-2008, 05:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I remember my first car, a beige push-button automatic Valiant. I had $1200 and I had to choose between the beige Valiant and a baby blue Pontiac Parisienne with a white convertible top. I chose the Valiant because I knew I could never afford the gas for the Pontiac...did I mention it had a white convertible top?

I made $65 a week back then and by the time I paid for gas and my insurance, I hardly had any money left to go anyplace anyway.

Thanks for the memory jolt, Cats.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
To Life!

I hadn't realized that gas had over doubled in cost in just 5 years....
When Bush entered office, oil was $26 a barrel.
The other day, it was $135!!!
Never mind Obama and Clinton;
Bush is the candidate of CHANGE!!!

Oh, for the good ole days

Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer..
Those days of soda,
and hot dogs
and beer....
I wish that summer
Could always
Be here!

L'Chaim!
(To Life!)
Old 05-28-2008, 06:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

When I was a kid, my folks had a Packard. I think gas was about 15 to 18 cents a gallon then.

But what I wanted to share is they would fill the space for feet in the back seat and then had some type of mattress they put over the whole thing and me and the two boxer dogs (our family pets, not the show dogs) had a BIG play pen for our trips, rofl. It was great!!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 05-28-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mom told me once, that when I was still a baby and they would drive from GA to MN to see her family, they put my CRIB in the back seat....try fitting a full size crib in any of the cars today!!