Afraid he may od

Old 05-28-2008, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Afraid he may od

My AH has had a long time problem w/opiates. He has been dry for about a month and has now turned to drinking beer. Problem is when he says he can't sleep he takes all sorts of pills plus alcohol to sleep. Lunesta, Trazadone, Ativan, etc...am worried he may od and he never did admit he has a problem w/painkillers...still talks about them constantly. All of the meds he is taking say do not drink with them, yet he does. Am I wrong to be worried about dangerous combinations?
Old 05-28-2008, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is he getting all of these meds from a doctor or is he getting them illegally? It can be a dangerous combo. Not that it matters how he gets them because even if he is getting them from a doc they obviously dont know he has a problem.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I think in the back of our codie minds the possibility of our loved ones ODing looms large. I don't think your concern is wrong. Is his doctor aware that your H has a drug problem? If not the doctor does need to know this...
Old 05-28-2008, 05:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're not wrong to worry about that he may OD. Taking those meds with alcohol can make him "forget" to breathe.

Unfortunately, however, you can't make him stop. If his doctor is prescribing all these meds, it may help to tell him, but most addicts I know (including me, though I'm now in recovery) will always find more drugs.

I'm sorry you're going through this, but the only one who can stop him is HIM.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-28-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cmc

I was terribly worried that my son would OD and he actually did come quite close to it but the ER docs never called it an OD. What I did after that was make sure that I didn't step between him and any of his circumstances resulting from using.

This was one area where I hit bottom and decided that from that point on there would be no more soft landings and no help from me to pick up the pieces.

After the paramedics took him to the ER that time, and we knew he was in their care, I remember mr cmc, my oldest son and I deciding to go out to dinner before we went to the hospital. Our plan was to take care of ourselves and make him wait on us or a change.

He was quite shocked to learn that we didn't rush over to tend to him. I'm not taking any credit for his recovery AT ALL...but it was at that point when he realized that if he got into trouble he better be prepared to get himself out or just suffer through it.

The bottom line is that I would never say you are wrong to be worried but it's not in your control what he does, what drugs he combines or how he gets them. That's his business.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That is a lethal combination he's using and, yes, overdose is very possible.

My son overdosed twice and all the worry in the world couldn't stop him. My heart feels your pain, but sweetie, there is just nothing you can do to change this situation, only he can do that.

But you can look after you, maybe go to meetings and surround yourself with support and find your balance again after all this. Meetings saved my life, and they can help you find courage to do whatever you need to do to take care of yourself...no matter how he is doing.

My prayers go out for both of you. Addiction truly is a family disease.

Hugs