Notices

new here

Old 05-27-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
can't wait for summer

new here

hello all,

this first post is difficult, but here goes....my husband drinks A LOT. and now in the last few years, i took up drinking too. it started out nice at first b/c i like wine and i would only drink maybe one glass a night.....well, now that one glass has turned into over a bottle a night. i feel pretty out of control. i go to bed trashed every night. i hardly eat. i only weigh about 96 lbs and i'm five foot nothing. i've even gone so far as to sneak wine into work or i've already come home at lunch time and downed 3 glasses and then went back to work. i never thought i would become so dependent on the stuff and i want to stop. i started going to celebrate recovery and i thought i would join this community for extra support. it is hard admitting my problem, and i'm not blaming everything on my husband's drinking b/c i know deep down that i'm the one making the choice to drink every night......anyway, that's my story. and in looking thru the forum, i feel like i've found the right place to help me recover as so many of you are so brave for taking your first step and telling your story (many of which are so similar to mine). thank you all, and i hope we can share and help each other out.

bernie
Old 05-27-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome aboard BB...

and i bet ya can be at times... lol

happy to see a beggining being made...

good wishes BB

rz
Old 05-27-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome berniebop and yes, you have come to the right place. Keep reading and keep on posting. It definitely helps and I too was a heavy wine drinker.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
getting there

hi berniebop,
I'm new here too and my drink of choice was also wine. A couple of weeks ago I went to work still somewhat drunk (had stayed home in the morning... and drank) ... that was one of the many things that convinced me I need to quit.

Welcome!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 05-27-2008, 09:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Bernie! Welcome to a wonderful site for support advice and friendship. I found this place two months ago and am just now taking my sobriety seriously. Have you talked to your doctor about wanting to quit? Medical supervision can be helpful. Whatever you do to quit, be safe.

I'm in AA and you may want to give that a try. I've also heard that Celebrate Recovery is a good support group. I'm just one state to the west and we have a Celebrate Recovery group in my small city.

You've come to the right place. The members here have helped me so much. I've relapsed after coming on here but now am on day twelve, day thirteen in just a few minutes, and I feel different about this time, like it's going to be the last time I've had to start over at day one.

You can do this!! With support and friends and love, you can do this!

:ghug3
Old 05-27-2008, 09:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

One more drunk chiming in at you Berniebop. Welcome to the world's premier site for recovering addicts of all types. The stories are compelling and the roads to recovery are inspiring. Hang in here with us and you will see what I mean.

Oh yeah. I don't know that anyone here started out drinking 40 cocktails a day at the bar. I didn't, but that's sure where it lead to. So I commend you on coming here and opening up to us.

Keep posting. We are one big family here dedicated to getting sober and staying firm on our roads to recovery.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, I look forward to hearing more about your journey!

Old 05-28-2008, 02:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! From one wino to another! Glad you're here! Noodle around on this site, you'll find a wealth of information, support and inspiration. I'm stealing someone's comment here, but, if you don't know where to go on here, "just close your eyes and click" you can't go wrong! (we need a smiley for that!)

Stick with us, you won't be sorry!

Honu
Old 05-28-2008, 02:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I joined last night and look forward to it helping me stay clean and sober. Thank you all for your support and wisdom. Jesse P.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Weclome... and We are all gald to have you on board.

You'll find we all are great a supporting each other.

You taken a big first step ... and we'll all help you to getting better. :ghug3
Old 05-28-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Bernie, I see you are using celebrate recovery as your program, I use AA but it really does not matter what program we use here at SR, we are here to support each other in our chosen path of recovery.

Like you I had to accept full responsibilty for my drinking and quit playing the blame game! I was the one making the choice to drink.

If you are still drinking I would really suggest seeing a doctor and being completely honest with the doctor about how much and how often you are drinking, some of us need to be medically detoxed in order to stop drinking. I am not real familiar with celebrate recovery but most programs do suggest seeing a doctor and being medically detoxed before really getting into the program.

Best thing I can tell you right now if you have quit is to take it one day at a time, one hour or even a minute at a time, the longer you go without a drink the better things will get.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I choose to live

Cool

Welcome on SR...(big first step) Yes you can find a lot of support here..Greetings from Stefanie
Old 05-28-2008, 06:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome bernie,

Wine was also my drink Stick around and read, listen and learn. You have found a wonderful group of people here! :ghuh3
Old 05-28-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
can't wait for summer

Thank you all for the wonderful responses. At this point I am taking it one hour at a time. tonight will be my first full day sober. i have an accountability partner through CR, and she helped me to not pick the bottle up last night. I have a lot of others on my call list if i can't get thru to the first person. i have not talked to my doctor yet, but i think it's a good idea to let him know what i'm doing.

bernie
Old 05-28-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome BB (round of applause for your 1st post)
Old 05-28-2008, 02:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
mle-sober

BernieBop,

You are doing a great job. You just took the first step by posting and being honest about what is going on with you. It can be very, very hard. It's been the hardest thing I've ever done, I can tell you. But one of the important things to remember is that you absolutely CAN recovery. Many, many people have. That is a big motivator for me.

Keep up the good work and I'm glad you're here!

- MLE
Old 05-28-2008, 02:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Bernie,
many wise and thoughtful folk here to help you, best wishes.