Notices

Need book recs if possible

Old 05-27-2008, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need book recs if possible

As nearly everything I read is somewhat grim...I have an uncle who has cancer who is currently undergoing chemotherapy. Not sure about his prognosis yet, but he's very lonely and scared and having a hard time finding things to do. I want to send him a book. He said he likes to read funny and/or inspirational stories. He said a short story compilation is ideal because he has "chemo brain"...he really can't concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time. But anything funny/enlightening/educational will do. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The "Chicken Soup for the Soul" series are great reads - inspirational short stories - just like the title suggests - really "feel good" books - might be worth a try. Best wishes to your uncle - Jomey
Old 05-27-2008, 08:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Readers Digest is full of short stories, jokes, inspirational stuff, etc. He will be in my prayers.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you very much both of you. I am pretty sure he's almost a lifetime Reader's Digest subscriber (our whole family is!) but I will have the check out the chicken soup books. I know he's scared/lonely and I feel helpless being so far away, I really didn't get enough time with him over the weekend. And quite frankly..the whole trip home was so hectic, I think we saw 40 people over 4 days, that by the time I finally saw him on Sunday I was sleep deprived and just not at my best demeanor wise. I find myself getting a little moodier and pushy in sobriety though I know that will not last forever. So I feel like I need to make amends on top of being concerned for his physical and emotional health through all of this.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

there are some pretty funny travel writers - bill bryson comes to mind, so does tim cahill. maybe them? i loved the book traveling mercies by anne lamott.

y'all will be in my prayers, definitely.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Emimily great call, he'd probably love some funny travel books!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh oh oh I have the perfect books for your uncle.

Alexander McCall Smith is a wonderful author that writes short but heart warmingly funny and inspirational novels that are extremely easy to read and quick page turners.

The Number one Ladies Detective Agency

This is the 1st book of a series that is set in Botswana and features the formidable but lovely Mma Ramotswe. She is the proprietor of the 1st private detective agency in her small town and gets into all sorts of hysterical adventures.

And

Portuguese Irregular Verbs

Also the 1st book of a series starring Professor Dr. von Igelfeld. Professor Igelfeld has published the definitive (if not the only) text on Portuguese irregular verbs. He feels this achievement deserves a certain degree of respect from his scholarly peers but they seem to feel otherwise. The story follows Professor Igelfeld across the world where his well intentioned exploits usually go hilariously awry.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

SoBearish-Excellent, thank you so much. That sounds right up his alley.