Notices

Virgin Drinks.... thought?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Virgin Drinks.... thought?

Hi Everyone-

I am pretty new at the sober thing and was wondering about something. I haven't really heard anyone speak about it at my AA meetings and as I was reading someone else's comment about a book causing her to think about drinking and a thought occurred to me.

One of my favorite drinks (aside from the vino!) was bloody Mary's. I loved to drink them by the pool. I have made a couple of virgin bloody Mary's since I stopped drinking. Not nearly as good, but I still enjoyed them.

Is this a good idea? It never occured to me that it wouldn't be, but now I am wondering if it will end up opening a door for a dash of vodka in a moment of weakness?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I think it depends.

If it's about the ritual, I think it could be a trigger. For example, early on, I tried drinking sparkling cider. I had been a wine drinker and I didn't like the feel of the bottle and opening it, etc. Too many bad memories. But, if I drink sparkling water out of a wine glass when I'm out for dinner, that doesn't bother me at all.

Whatever works for you!
Old 05-25-2008, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would say it opens the door to a relapse because your brain may associate the drink with the alcohol and the effects of the alcohol on your body. But remember, just because there is an open door in front of you, it does not mean that you have to walk through it.

(or as in this poor guys case, just because there is a cold flag pole in front of you, it does not mean that you have to stick your tongue to it)
Old 05-25-2008, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I myself was a beer drinker, and have found myself in "bar-type" situations since stopping (I really enjoy live music and bars seem to still be the primary venue). I really like to have shirley temples and ginger ale. Quite the opposite of beer. I have yet to find myself at the bar wanting a microbrew.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

dsoda, just dont call them virgin marys, call um tomatoe juice with some horseraddish shoved in it... hold the celery stick!

and see how that goes...
Old 05-25-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...
I did quit using my "drinking" glasses
and bought different shapes for beverages

As I keep a home free of alcohol
I would not be able to splash booze in anything.

If you feel uncomfortable about x..y..z....
I strongly suggest
Don't mess around with it
Old 05-25-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Queen of Leesburg

I drink near beer a few times a year. Virgin Pina Colada's and daquaris and Fre, the "not quite champagne" at special events. Been clean and sober 12 + years straight. I look at my alcoholism like an allergy. If I were allergic to peanuts I could not have cookies made with nuts. But I can still have the cookies! It's all up to the individual. if it gives you the heebie-jeebies...don't do it. Its a good rule of thumb.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'll admit I didn't take the time to read other replies to your post.

For me, virgin drinks were but a stepping stone to relapse. I will not even be considering that option at this point.

Everyone's program of recovery is different and no one can tell you what will work for you. We can only share our experiences on the subject.

Much love and prayer.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I can only say that at the end of your first post you asked if 'virgin marys' might open the door for a 'dash' of vodka... the fact that you're thinking that seems to me that it might indeed open that door. I don't want to take that chance and I don't think you do either. Unless you can, as was said, not keep any alcohol in your house. If so, then you wouldn't be able to add a dash of anything.

Do whatever is safe for you and keeps you sober.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Like others have said -- I think it depends on the person...

Personally...

I like diet tonic water instead of martinis, because they're a bit bitter.

As far as the Bloody Mary -- my absolute favorite (hopefully FORMER favorite, forever) drink goes... I, too, have tried the "virgin" version with various v8 juices, doctored up as usual. They've ALWAYS been dissapointing.

HOWEVER -- I've recently found that if I use Clamato juice mixed with horseradish, worcestershire, and celery seed I'm happy enough. (For some reason -- again for ME -- more satisfying.)

One night I did sip some marguerita mix in lieu of the real thing. It was ok that night, but not as good as the real thing. Think I'll stick to the tonic and clamato for now.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Originally Posted by DSodaNow View Post
Hi Everyone-

I am pretty new at the sober thing and was wondering about something. I haven't really heard anyone speak about it at my AA meetings and as I was reading someone else's comment about a book causing her to think about drinking and a thought occurred to me.

One of my favorite drinks (aside from the vino!) was bloody Mary's. I loved to drink them by the pool. I have made a couple of virgin bloody Mary's since I stopped drinking. Not nearly as good, but I still enjoyed them.

Is this a good idea? It never occured to me that it wouldn't be, but now I am wondering if it will end up opening a door for a dash of vodka in a moment of weakness?

Some pretty interesting responses. For me, I have kept a fully stocked bar since I began this journey. It's my way of mocking the entire situation. I still go to bars with my buddies. I just don't like the smoke. I make cocktails for my friends and open their wine. So it's just my way of proving to myself that I am stronger than the hootch. So far so good. I just have to be aware of my anchors.