Notices

Up and down

Old 05-24-2008, 03:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Up and down

Good morning all,

You guys warned me it'd be up, down, back, forth and sideways. I couldn't fall asleep until 2 am. Woke up at 6 am. Looked for the remote control to change the channel. Now keep in mind, no matter how drunk I got, I NEVER lost the remote...LOL..I spent the next 30 minutes searching high and low. Tore the comforter and sheets off the bed, tossed all the pillows, looked under the bed...nothing. Got good and p***sed off and changed the channel on the cable box. I mean really p***sed off. Found "The Nativity Story"...thought it would be a good thing to watch this morning. Decided that the stupid thing would show up in it's own good time, gave up and sat down to watch the movie. The minute I did, there it was on the floor, under my computer chair. I gotta tell you, the mood swings are not doing me any favors, right now. I haven't had a drink, and I'm going to a meeting this morning. I'm tired, irritable and b**tchy. Thanks for letting me unload.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

hmmmm

wonders if it was a God moment... changes the channel to the Nativity Story...and *pooF* the remote shows up.

No matter how many times I loss the remote...I always find it in the last place I look.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Found my remote and phone out on the carport once.

Never did figure that one out.

The mood swings settle out.
They do.

There's a sayin in the rooms -
something like -
the good thing about quitting drinking is we get our feelings back.
the bad thing about quitting drinking is we get our feelings back.

wacky as it feels there's two things to remember -

whatever it is it's probably 'normal'.
you'll never have to go through this again.

hope that helps?
Old 05-24-2008, 04:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Good Morning and Welcome to early Recovery.

I have a question, were you ever on your knees when you were looking for the remote?

Perhaps this is a sigh that asking for some help from your Higher Power would be a good way to start your day.

Recovery doesn't mean that simple things like that aren't going to happen. I do all kinds of "dumb $hit" throughout my day and I have two choices . . . . laugh at myself or get really, really ticked off to the point where I say "**** it, and drink.

I know when I have a situation such as you did, I now just stop the madness of throwing all the pillows, ripping the sheets off the bed and ask myself, "Why am I letting this stupid remote have so much power over me?" After all, it's just an inanimate object. Why give it all that power?

In our addiction, we always looked for the easier, softer way, such as using a remote. In Recovery, we have to take action, and it isn't always the easiest way.

Had you planned on going to a meeting or did this incident make your realize that hey, I think I do need a meeting today. We have a disease that is cunning, baffling and powerful and it's looking for any opportunity to strike the match!

Hang in there, take a breath and look at that remote now. Ask yourself, was that worth all of this anger?

God Bless,
Judy
Old 05-24-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey there Flygirl! Ups and downs....I was thinking the other day about that very thing, and thought, "is this how normal people feel all the time?" Because I'd grab my wine to keep from feeling it. I'd grab it for the ups and the downs, and the in betweens, too!

But, I wondered, "how to they handle it?" I guess that they just feel it. So, I did. The weird feeling passed, I just sat there having a diet coke, and wondered if I'd have a panic attack, or die, or something--and nothing happened.

It passed, and that weird feeling that I felt, which I always ran from, and numbed, wasn't any big deal at all! I couldn't believe it. I'm waiting for an "up", to see how I handle it without my "crutch"....

It's day 7 for me, and it's pretty cool.

Honu
Old 05-24-2008, 04:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Judy,

Actually. I was on my knees, and I kind of figure that just happening onto "The Nativity Story", might have been someone's way of saying exactly that. It's funny, the minute I decided to stop trying so hard to find the d*mn thing, it showed up. Maybe there's a message in that, too. I thought about that after I found it. I had already planned on going to a meeting, so I'm keeping my plans. I'm just going with the flow right now.