Notices

Arrrggggg! Help ME!

Old 05-23-2008, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Arrrggggg! Help ME!

It's just not working for me today. I've done all the things I usually do to make myself feel better; meditation, giving gratitude, reading and responding to others... but today it is not helping me out of my HUGE desire for a drink. I'm overwhelmed with work. I used to drink to get my work done because I thought it loosened me up and made me more creative. The sad thing is, that SEEMS to be true (though I know that it isn't, but...). Since I stopped drinking I can't seem to focus on my work.

My mind is not wrapping around the ideas that usually get me through. I can't come up with the good reasons to stay sober and worse, I CAN come up with reasons to drink!; I'll get work done, I'll be able to tolerate my husband's drinking, I'll be able to endure my teenagers negative attitude, I'll be able to bear my youngest one's whining...

I'm anxious about the long weekend because I won't be able to log on. I can feel the anxiety pressing down on me, the kind that requires a drink to "smooth" everything out. I DON'T want to start over. I WANT to get through this. So I'm asking for a collective appeal to the Higher Power. Please pray for me for today and for the long weekend and please post warm supportive thoughts for me and for anyone else who may need them today.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I will be praying for you. You can do this. You don't NEED that poison. It will just make things worse. Take it one minute, one hour at a time. Think of us this weekend when you can't get to us. We'll be thinking of you!

:praying:ghug3
Old 05-23-2008, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((ROFL)))

Sending you hugs and prayers.

Amy
Old 05-23-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'll be praying for you ROFL. I hate stress too and long weekends can be a bit overwhelming, but YOU can do it!!! I have faith in you. No more day 1's!
Old 05-23-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi ROLF,

I can only give you one reason not to drink right now...I am taking today minute by minute, and even though I am feeling pretty good right now, it could change in a second. I need your help not to drink today...care to help me out? Maybe helping me will help you, too. I will be praying for you :praying
Old 05-23-2008, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi ROFL, if you do it and have to start again you will feel SO disheartened. It will always be much easier to do it again. I started down that slippery slope six months ago...do not follow me down please!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

ROFL my good friend....Please do not drink! So sorry that you are struggling today...

Sometimes we have these bad days while moving toward a better life for ourselves-and we feel that going back to something that we have known most of our life would be the only thing that would ease our discomfort on this bad day. NOPE! Not the case!

I have watched many in here struggle and grow-I have watched and seen your posts and you have the power and strength within to beat this! I have faith in your ROFL

Just breathe and read more post that will come along on this thread and you will see how much we are all pulling for you! Keep moving forward breathe.....one day at a time! Remember this as I always keep this in my head "Progress not perfection" my friend!

Love ya ROFL
Old 05-23-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Let go, let God.

((((ROFL)))), please don't do what I did last weekend. Regret, regret, regret. That's me still. It's not worth the aftermath.

Will pray for you now.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys! I knew you would come through for me. I already feel better and stronger. That's what the support site if for - no?!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just keep picturing yourself waking up tomorrow, sober...I promise you it is going to feel great!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm there with you Rofl.....just close your eyes and you can feel me!

You can do this sober it is an opportunity to learn so that you don't have to knock yourself out with boos and keep reliving the same old problems.

And you don't have to deal with things perfectly....just different and the first different is just being sober....baby steps!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi ROFL,

I am so glad to hear that! :ghug3
Old 05-23-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I proved it to myself so many times, taking a drink never improved anything! Please remember that "this too shall pass", it always does. Praying for you ROFL, keep reaching out for support.

This is a passage from the book Each Day A New Beginning.......

We can expect to feel fear, even dread at some points in our lives. We will always have situations that, for a time at least, seem more than we can bear. But the clouds will lift. We are never given more than we can handle, and with each passing day we become more at ease with ourselves and all that life gives us. We are learning that "this too shall pass." Our confidence grows as our spiritual program gains strength.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm with flgirl. You can help yourself by keeping me in your thoughts. I'm on day eight and feel like this must be the honeymoon phase - I'm not wanting to drink. But that could change at any minute so keep me in your prayers, as I will do for you. We can hold each other up!:ghug3
Old 05-23-2008, 08:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Let go, let God.

Here's something that may help in addition ROFL.

"Your faith is good," the Master said
"But without works, it is surely dead."
My faith in You, O Lord, shall not waiver
I shall search for good deeds on which I can savor.
I looked to the east, and then to the west
I searched up and down for the things I do best.
And then in frustration, I became quietly still
God showed me the answer, "You must seek My will".
"My will for your life is that you seek Me first"
"And then I will show you how to satisfy your thirst".
So I listened with eagerness to what God revealed
For I want to help the Lord to harvest lost souls in His field.
I will seek the Lord daily for what I should do
And look forward to Heaven when God says "Well done, our harvest is
through!"

Based on James 2:20

Kelly Austin
Old 05-23-2008, 08:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You guys are AWESOME. I LOVE LOVE LOVE you all! I can feel your love in return and thank GOD for putting you all into my life.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

((((ROFL))))

Lots of hugs and prayers and supportive thoughts coming your way today and all through the weekend

:praying

You're a real inspiration to me here at SR. We are all rooting for you!

Your little friend Paddington
Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

ROFL, I hope you have a great weekend.

Lots of hugs and prayers coming your way.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My thoughts and prayers are with you. You can get through this without a drink. "This too shall pass".
Old 05-23-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have no doubt that you will prevail, my friend. And in doing so, will be of great help to all of us.

You do not wish to face the day after. You know what it will be like. You know that it will be so much worse than how you feel at present. You know that by drinking that you will trigger emotions so dark that it will be all that you can do to function.

You don't want that. You don't want to go to that very, very dark place. The one that takes everything you have and more to get out of.

You also know that this too shall pass. That by not drinking there is the great possibility that tomorrow can be your next great, fabulous day. If it isn't, so what? There's the next day.

But if you drink, you KNOW with certainty what tomorrow will be like. And the next day. And the next. There is no possibility that they will be good or even functional days. You know that they will be filled with shame, guilt, regret, and more.

But, if you remember today, and remember it as the day that you surrendered to serenity, the coming days will be filled with a sense of well being and accomplishment. You will gain from the pain. It is certain to fill your sails with a favorable wind. And your hands will be on the tiller.

We do not gain from our days without pain. It is sad but true. We only gain and make progress forward when we face the demon and choose not to fight. When we accept but refuse to engage.

Tomorrow is going to be a freakin' great day, my friend. Whether it rains or storms you will be filled with the sunshine of contentment with yourself. Another step climbed. That is too much to give up, is it not?

love,

warren