Notices

Video Game Addiction

Old 05-22-2008, 09:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Video Game Addiction

This is my first time here, I have been looking for help all over the web and a google search brought me here.

The problem I have been having with my boyfriend I have previsouly thought was just a relationship problem, but by researching online I have found that there could be a lot more to it.

He is completely addicted to the online game World of Warcraft. My boyfriend and I have been living together for almost a year, and this is tearing us apart. He is in his mid-twenties and plays the game everyday for at least 6 hours a day. In the middle of April he was injured at work requiring surgery and two months off work. In that time he has been stuck at home and he plays all day. I am not sure when he starts as I leave for work in the morning, but I get home at 5:00pm and he is playing, and he keeps playing to 4:00am most nights.

Our relationship is suffering because I am completely ignored by him. We don't do anything together, we don't even talk because he is so addicted. He gets angry at me when I pull him away from the game. Even though he is not working and is at home all day, I go to school and work, and then I go to my soccer practice or the gym. When I get home it is up to me to clean the house, buy groceries, do the laundry, and cook the meals. He won't even eat a meal with me, he takes his food to the computer so he doesn't miss a minute of gaming.

Realistically, I have had enough and the relationship is ending. It's rough because I do love him, and I know I would stay with him if he cut back on game time. The only thing I can find for treatment online is options for parents to use on their children. I'm not his mother and I can't punish him by taking his games away. If I found help for him, I know he wouldn't take it because he doesn't relaize his problem. Is there anything I can do other than leave?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

What a difficult situation. I wish I had some wonderful suggestions for you but as I have no experience in this area I am unable to help.

I wonder though if attending a meeting of CODA or ALANON would benefit you as they help people to gain the tools they need while living around addicts. Even if you decide to leave him you still might consider one of these two groups as they may be able to help you anyway.

Welcome to SR and welcome to our mental health forum. I do hope you stick around for a bit as there may be someone who has experience that they can share with you.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi keepquiet -

You know I remember seeing a thread about this a while back when we had gambling addiction forums here on SR.
I think lack of participation ended that forum ..
but maybe there's something if you check out the archive?
Old 05-23-2008, 03:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, keepquiet,

Gambling is an insidious addiction because its effects are not as obvious as drugs and alcohol. My ex is a gambler and I only found out when the bills started coming in and the house was going to be taken away.

You *have* to protect yourself.

The second time my ex almost lost the house, we divorced. I would not let him make me homeless.

I wish you luck. You are young. There are other people to love that will love you back. That may sound harsh, but, it is true. Until he helps himself, there is nothing you can do but protect yourself.
I'm sorry.

Shalom!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

They don't call it "World of War-Crack" for nothing.

I struggled with a video game addiction a while back. My poison was a game called Everquest.

In my mind, addiction to video games is just as real and dangerous as any controlled substance. The obsession is the same. If nothing else, you can read about some experiences others have had with alcohol and drugs. There is little difference when it comes to many of the behaviors associated with them.

If you google search for "everquest suicide," you'll probably find a story from the 90's about a young man from Wisconsin who killed himself after something happened to him in the game of Everquest. I forget the details, but I think it had something to with another player swindling him out of some of the game gold or something.

He was found in his apartment, slumped over his computer keyboard. There were pizza boxes everywhere. The place was a mess. It appeared he had not left his apartment for some time.

I share this with you not to scare you. It's just an example of how real video game addiction is. Addicts commit suicide from time to time, and video games are no different.

My suggestion is to start with alanon. Some of the details shared by others may be different, but you will also find many stark similarities. I also believe the way others deal with alcoholic and drug addicted loved ones is probably going to be the best way to handle your situation as well.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The physiological response in regard to addictive behavior is relatively the same, though the stimuli can vary (gambling, video games, etc). Alcohol is a bit trickier because that has another set of things added, but generally the body learns to reacts and enjoys the response, so it reinforces the behavior....whether gambling, video game, etc.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sewer Dweller

I would talk to him about it. My girlfriend thought I played Civiliazation too much when we would be sitting at home. I realized that she just wanted to cuddle when she was watching movies and what not, so now I make it a point to turn the game off and spend some quality time. I also make sure that at least once a week and once a weekend we go and do something, anything.

Shes at school twice a week and thats really the only time I play now.

I think gaming and gambling addictions are different. I don't like to gamble at all... but im a cheap a$$