Notices

Newb to the forum

Old 05-21-2008, 06:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Our only hope

Newb to the forum

Hello,

My name is Chris and I have been struggling with alcohol abuse for almost 10 years now. It started after I tured 21 but I was mainly a social drinker, then I started ditching friends because I was depressed so I wold stay home and get drunk alone. Years passed and I started drinking more and more so I decided to go to an AA meeting but after hearing everyones story I thought that I didn't have a problem even though I drank at least a 6 pack a night.

Long story short I had some very special people in my life pass away which made me want to drink more and more. I met my wife a few years back which helped give me something to smile about so I calmed down significantly but I still would have a few beers a night when I would go outside and listen to sports talk radio or any football games that were on. We recently moved to a different city so I could finish flight school and I told myself that now I would stop drinking becuase of school, work and wanting to spend time with my wife and son when I would get home at night. Well, school had to be put off because the person renting my house bailed after two months which stressed me out so I started drinking more and more till I was up to 8 beers a night.

After thinking to myself every night I was outside drinking that I needed to stop, I finally made my mind up that I was done drinking. I went to an AA meeting May 17th and I haven't had a drink since nor had the desire to. Since I have treated my body like a garbage can for so long I have replaced the beer with smoothies.

Here is to many more days, months and years of sobriety!!
Old 05-21-2008, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great story and congratulations!!! Welcome to SR. This site has been a tremendous help to me and I hope you'll stick around and let these good people help you too. AA is definitely a good move.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR!:ghug2
Old 05-21-2008, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Congrats Dislipson. Welcome to our world. I am glad to hear that you have chosen the road to sobriety. It's a wonderful life. Stick around and let us know how you're doing.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

I too find AA an awesome adventure in living sober.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Welcome Chris!!!
and congrats on your sobriety..
Old 05-21-2008, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats, 4 days is a great start! How are you feeling?
kj
Old 05-21-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dislipson View Post
I went to an AA meeting May 17th and I haven't had a drink since nor had the desire to. Since I have treated my body like a garbage can for so long I have replaced the beer with smoothies.

Here is to many more days, months and years of sobriety!!
thanks for the beautiful cross section of YOU. and I love the garbage can reference. my last day using was 5-12-08. I have a similar resolve to the one you described. I'm tired of being sick and tired

thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 04:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Our only hope

Originally Posted by kj3880 View Post
Congrats, 4 days is a great start! How are you feeling?
kj
Feeling great. I was sitting outside last night having some apple juice relaxing(sitting outside drinking used to be what I did everynight but I have replaced the beer with other healthy drinks) and I heard the neighbor across they way popping beer after beer. I was surprised it didn't once make me wish I had one in my hands.

It is smooth sailing right now but I am sure somewhere along they way I will get slapped in the face missing drinking. For those of you who have been sober for a long time, am I correct in assuming this? For some it starts out easy but they eventually run into a wall?
Old 05-22-2008, 04:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Our only hope

Originally Posted by ksplash5 View Post
thanks for the beautiful cross section of YOU. and I love the garbage can reference. my last day using was 5-12-08. I have a similar resolve to the one you described. I'm tired of being sick and tired

thanks
So we are both newbs! Glad to see someone else who has realized the beauty outside of the can(or what ever it was that held you down).

Hears to sobriety!

Old 05-22-2008, 11:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

:atvWelcome! Glad you are here! Keep on keepin' on!
Old 05-22-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Chris to SR,
congrats on your sober days.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 05-23-2008, 05:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've got 8 days right now, after many relapses this year. I've been told by 'oldtimers' that the possibility of picking up a drink is always with us cause we are alcoholics. For some the desire goes away with time, some run into a wall after some sober time. depends on the individual. People here can tell you of their struggles and how they handled them.

Welcome to the site and congrats on your sober time!:ghug