Notices

finally made that Dr appointment

Old 05-20-2008, 04:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

finally made that Dr appointment

Hi all, i am now on 53 days
Ive decided to be brave and go and ask for a liver function test- i did try a while back to get my bloods done but the gp i saw told me i had neither drunk enough, or for LONG enough to have put myself at risk, he also told me i would feel unwell - which i didnt/dont, you know what its like, i went in there so insistant but he talked me out of it and i went away feeling quite stupid, SO, new Gp and im going to take a much harder approach,
I HAD hoped the first doc's words would be enough to re assure me as i have a horrible phobia of needles/sight of blood, but i cant stop worrying and feel facing up to the possibilty of any damage i may have done is a vital part of my recovery.
So i have made an appointment for tomorrow, ONLY after posting on here for some advice last week did i feel brave enough to do this,
So my heartfelt thanks to everyone here, and i hope to god that i am ok.
:praying
Old 05-20-2008, 04:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The rehab I just came home from does a liver function test on everyone. I was really afraid to know the results but fortunately it was ok. I am grateful that I didn't do permanent damage.

Good for you for being insistant with your doc. I will pray that you are ok. PLease don't worry too much.

:praying
Old 05-20-2008, 04:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

least that is so fantastic to hear- you have given me a much needed boost as i am truly terrified- wonderful to see you back here friend
Old 05-20-2008, 05:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Super I was diagnosed with a fatty live (Precursor to cirrosis of the liver) when I went into detox, my liver had been tender for over 20 years at that point, the doctor told me that as long as I quit drinking my liver would heal........ I had the blood work redone about 3 months later and everything was fine, the tenderness was gone in about a week or 2 and the swelling was gone in about 6-7 months. I had thought it was a high beer gut for many years.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i think its just my nature- ive invented/ looked for just about every symptom of liver disease i can find- even though i feel better than i have in years since quitting and taking loads of exercise- i just wont rest until i know, couldnt/wouldnt have done it without reading posts like yours ^ so thanks so much again
Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Super,

I'm glad you're taking the steps you need to so that your mind can be at ease. Doctors can be very intimidating. But I think you deserve the tests if it will help you move on to the next thing you need to do in your recovery. I totally understand about needing to know the facts of something that's going on in your body. I think most of us worry about things like that. And if a test will help you stop worrying, then they should just give you the test. You're the customer.

Good luck and let us know! We're all on your team.

- MLE
Old 05-20-2008, 10:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by supernothing View Post
i think its just my nature- ive invented/ looked for just about every symptom of liver disease i can find- even though i feel better than i have in years since quitting and taking loads of exercise- i just wont rest until i know, couldnt/wouldnt have done it without reading posts like yours ^ so thanks so much again
SN

I think your sober brain is working well. You seem to have a handle on why you fear the test. And you seem to realize that it is an exagerrated fear. Well done!

I have no doubt that all will be well. Godspeed!

warren
Old 05-20-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your sober time...
Old 05-21-2008, 12:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks everyone for your encouragement and replies- setting off to doctors now so ill check in and let you know how it all goes.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Super, congratulations on your 53 days - that's really wonderful! Well done!

Paddington
Old 05-21-2008, 06:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

theyve agreed to do " full fasting bloods" on me next friday morning, whatever they are...... Going to endevour to put it out of my mind until then
Thanks again everyone.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Great job getting what you need to find your peace of mind! Keep us posted about results, of course! And try not to think about it between now and when you get the results. It's time to turn your attention to other matters. I know it's hard but you can do it. I'm sure. Keep reading and posting here, work on your steps (if you do AA?) go to meetings, journal, take a walk, etc.

It will be hard not to ruminate between now and when you get the test and between then and when you get the results. Good luck.

- MLE
Old 05-21-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

with what ive been watching on the news just recently i only have to think of the terrible things that have been occuring throughout this world to pull myself and my worrying right back into perspective.........

After three years of chaos i have so many things that need addressing and facing up to- this test being just one of them,I have MANY more things to sort out that are going to be a LOT less straight forward than blood tests!
Taking baby steps- i get this test out the way and i move onto the next thing i want to put right- one day at a time.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Hey Sup. Congrats on your days sober. That is awesome. I would assume that the "full fasting bloods" is the term for working up your blood tests after you've been off the juice for sure. They had me wait a full two weeks of no hooch before they would do the initial blood work tests. Then I came back a few weeks later for the CAT scan. My miracle was that after 40 years of drinking the doc said there was NO evidence of me ever consuming alcohol. Yes, there is a God and yes he is soooooo good!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 12:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Super,

I wonder if one of the reasons you are feeling so intent on this blood work is exactly because it is a "baby step" and you know you have bigger work ahead of you? It sounds like that's maybe what you're saying in your post right above? Possibly the blood tests are a distraction? Maybe while you are waiting for the tes and the results you could write out what the tests are protecting you from having to address?

I had to have a colonoscpy recentely (I'm only 39) for some abnormal symptoms that could have been colon cancer - I really had all the signs. Boy was I happy about that. I could take all my recovery work and just set it to the side and focus on the dire possibility that I might have colon cancer! After the test showed non-malignant issues that could easily be addressed, I kind of felt disappointed. Dang it! Now I had to deal with recovery again!

I didn't realize this until a couple days after when I was feeling kind of blue and I meditated on it. I was so surprised by own internal efforts to avoid recovery. I mean who would've thought that I would find a colonoscopy and potential cancer more attractive than taking the steps I needed to take in recovery?

I'm rooting for you all the way, Super!

- MLE
Old 05-21-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

well MLE thats something to think about for sure, although i think for me its more about the final clsoing of the door on my drinking years , sort of "right, this is the mess i made, and what are the health consequences", deal with that, then focus on getting well and taking all other steps - does that make sense?