Notices

Blah! Day Zero Again

Old 05-20-2008, 02:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
"Meow. No, I am not a pup!

Blah! Day Zero Again

Was supposed to be day 4. Got a bit psyched out when told day 4 would be hard. Then had to shop in supermarket w wine. And legs hurt too much, from last 2 days running and biking, to do any more exercise. Decided would go to AA meeting but none on in my tinpot town tonight! AND it is Tuesday AND a full moon. Bah humbug.
On a positive note:
1)Requested my soccer club get better non-alcoholic drinks (with suggestions)
2)Drafted non-offensive resignation from work social cub which is basically a booze-committee
3) Planned tea ceremony upon arrival at home followed by dog walk.
4) Texted web contact for AA meeting on Thurs to ask exactly where it is (soooooo do not wander around building going "Are you AA?" for my first ever meeting)
5) Realised I like drinks in pretty glasses so plan to get pretty glasses for nice non-alcoholic drinks
6) Have haircut after work tomorrow, followed by soccer practice so tomorrow is a safe day 1.
7) Going to move sobriety books from hidden places into my bedroom
8) Enquired re a full marathon in December.
9) Stopped at one bottle of wine

In some ways I think I needed to have last drink when not on bender...I hate not being normal...but I also love being me which is soooooooo not normal. Not making much sense and not feeling v drunk although am watching carefully as hit keys!
Old 05-20-2008, 02:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lot's of positive things to do in your sharing...
and many of us had false starts on our way to solid sobriety.

Starting over on your journey is a wise move.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Every day is a new day to start all over again. Don't quit. Just get back up, and start over, and don't beat yourself up!! We've all been there!

Honu
Old 05-20-2008, 04:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't let people psych you out - we all run our own race - no-one else's recovery is exactly the same.

We all had false starts.

I like the way you're planning stuff.
You've got the right idea

D
Old 05-20-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Pupmom --

Well... today was "supposed" to be day 7 for me, but it's now day 2 all over again.

It sounds like you've made some progress being good to yourself -- and even MORE by coming back again today.

Keep reading and posting, because I'd love to make it day by day with you!

Oh and don't forget to turn in the resignation letter and enjoy your pretty glassware! As far as the latter goes -- PROMISE yourself to fill with non-alcoholic beverages only or they won't be as "special." I'm funny with things like this, too. lol
Old 05-20-2008, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrat's on getting to 3 days. I'm on one of many day 3's today. Was tempted last night but resisted. Hope to do the same tonight. Hope you can too!!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Don't let people psych you out - we all run our own race - no-one else's recovery is exactly the same.
Ditto!

Tomorrow is a new day and a new you! The positive notes are a wonderful thing to keep up with!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

PupMum,

I read this on the web the other day and this woman's alcoholism. It struck a chord with me about the sincere desire to stop drinking and relapse. I will paraphrase below.

"She tried to quit, but her vows of abstinence were always short-lived. "It's amazing: You wake up every single day and say, 'That's it, I'm not going to drink anymore.'" But by four o'clock she knew she would have to take a drink that night. "Then I'd say, 'Well, I'm going to stop at two, or stop at three,'"... It can be hard for non-alcoholics to imagine the alcoholic's overwhelming desire to drink even when it's destroying life and health. Peggy tries to explain. "In the morning you say, 'I'm not going to drink.' Then you seem to hit like a blind spot in your brain, where you go on automatic," she says. "You're not thinking anymore, 'What about the kids? What about the marriage?'. . . You just hit this blank spot, and you go to the refrigerator, you open it, and you pull out that bottle of wine."

PupMum...I relate to her. It is very insidious. Keep Trying!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

eThere is always a day one and I hope after your day three scare you'll continue on your journey without too many hiccups.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's often two steps forward and one step back. I think balance plays a big part in recovery for me. I try to maintain a balance in all parts of my life, not always successfully, but I'm always aware of it.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Pupmom, keep on trying, get to a meeting and get some phone numbers, you will be amazed how quickly the thought of a drink goes away when you call someone who has been right where you are at. I spent a lot of years with no one to call trying to battle the beast alone, it is far easier to battle him with support.

You are not alone, why fight the beast alone, there are tons of folks both here and in AA who are more then happy to help you.

Forget tomorrow, forget yesterday, just do not drink today.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all messages. Having happy cry while reading them (with my lemon juice and hot water). While disconnected ph for wine, had second message from alcohol program, I contacted via email, telling me to call her whenever I am ready.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey pupmom,

You made it longer than I did. That is something to be thankful for. How about we just try to help one another?
Old 05-21-2008, 02:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

1) Now offered to do purchasing for non-al drinks for soccer club
2) Made appt with addiction services for Mon afternoon.
3) Decided like pretty glasses with stems which sparkle when filled with ... and that was baaaaaaaaad idea! Instead bought v modern stainless steel teapot and milk jug to go with gold rimmed cup and sauce my mother got for her 21st
4)Shattered after tough soccer practice. Yay! Also left purse behind so could not drink at clubrooms or buy drink on way home.
5) No response from text to AA contact. It is at a Y so figure can wander in my sports gear and feel comfortable looking for meeting if it is not obvious where it is.
6) Found box of sobriety books in garage while looking for shin-pads. Will move into house in weekend
7) Worked out I have spent around $1000 on wine each month ($US 750). Ouch! So, apart from tea stuff, justified buying some other things which I think will help when I get to that "What now?" moment - DVD of "Firehouse Dog" (kids movie which is so cute), Cookie tins to put baking in (to have with my tea), pre-teen books (they can hold my attention when my attention is wandering to what to drink now...)

Roll on day 2 (Am on diff time zone in case not obvious)
Old 05-21-2008, 02:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've probably checked all this out pupmum, but the NZ AA site is at
Alcoholics Anonymous - AA help - alcohol abuse, dependency treatment & addiction

Not an AAer myself, but I know a few people personally who've emailled them and had replies (well the Auckland office anyway )

D