She's headed to detox and rehab

Old 05-19-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

She's headed to detox and rehab

Back in March, I posted that my daughter dodged a bullet with court: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post1711453

She was supposed to be in court over an hour ago but decided not to go. She didn't make her court ordered classes so she would have gone to jail and she can't face the prospect of detoxing from subs in jail.

Instead, she's chosen the route I had said I would take if I were in her shoes... detox and rehab first, then jail. I never told her those thoughts but it's no surprise to me that she came to this decision. She also knows she can't stay here if she's on the lamb.

She's wanted off suboxone ever since she got on them, but she always knew it meant another stint in detox and rehab. She's just been delaying the inevitable and today is the day.

I asked her if she's truly ready for this because otherwise it's waste of her time and my money (after insurance). She said she's sick and tired of all this and she's ready.

So sometime today, after she gets her stuff together and ready for the next 28 days, I'm taking her to rehab. I'm really happy for her!
Old 05-19-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((chino)))

Good thoughts and prayers coming to you and your daughter!
Old 05-19-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad she chose rehab. My daughter did rehab then jail as well for a charge she had. The rehab put her in a good place to be open to what she would learn while doing 60 days. I believe it made all the difference in the world in her recovery journey.

Thinking of you both and sending positive thoughts and prayers. I hope you will rest well tonight knowing she is in a safe place and opening herself to recovery. Hugs
Old 05-19-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I usually stay up late at night and last night was no exception. I still got up early to make sure we'd get to court on time. It was at the very last minute she said she wasn't going.

The old me would have blown a gasket but ever since I experienced detachment back in March, stuff just kind of rolls off my back these days. I know she was scared I'd lose it but all I did was say "I wish you would have told me last night so I could sleep in!" LOL!

Her dad, on the other hand, got angry at first when I called. He was going to meet us at court and suddenly found himself lost and confused. I talked him off the wall and he simmered down after taking a few moments to register the upside to this.

Sheesh he's a control freak! I've always known that but I quit letting him get to me several years ago. He chose not to attend any of the sessions with the addiction therapist but I've passed along everything I can. Anyway, this morning I reminded him again he could really benefit from therapy before he strokes out.

Ahhhh... the joys of serenity
Old 05-19-2008, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Chino)))

I'm glad she's going to rehab. YOU are doing great! My dad is a bit of a control freak, too, and I have also learned to detach from him on this.

Isn't it amazing how much better we feel when we stop taking everyone's else's issues on as our own?

Hugs and prayers to you and your family!

Amy
Old 05-19-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Fantastic news. Rehab choice provides hope, faith, change and the possibility of
recovery. As the parent, you must be feeling a big ol' bunch of relief that the "botom"
for your daughter came today. "It takes what it takes" and luckily the legal system once again was it, because we know it could of beeen worse.

Best wishes for you and her. It is tiime to celebrate ! Not all parents understand that some of us say YEA, my child is in rehab and I am happy ! Those of us here, do.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bottoms are a little like Dante's Inferno, huh? She hit one back in January and that's when she started subs, now she's hit another. I had to hit a bottom too with her disease and my co-dependency so I guess there's a few of them for some of us.

She's supposed to go in at 4pm this afternoon. It suddenly dawned on me I should call the facility (duh!) and check on beds. Lucky for her they have one bed available. Lucky for me too, that I'm not having to book flights out of state. The last thing anyone needs is to have to wait when the window of opportunity is open now.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad she made a good choice. 28 days of peace for you!!
susan
Old 05-19-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Chino,
Prayers going out to you right now (4:30)! What great and hopeful news today
Old 05-19-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Chino,

It is 5:00 here in the Windy City.
Wishing you and your daughter all the best.

Hopefully, this time will be THE time.

Colleen
Old 05-19-2008, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

glad she made that decision. prayers for u both,
Old 05-19-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spiritual Seeker View Post
Not all parents understand that some of us say YEA, my child is in rehab and I am happy ! Those of us here, do.
She sees a psychologist for anxiety and PTSD and even he didn't understand! He's very upfront that addiction is out of his realm, and today he made me laugh. When I called him, he said I was really chipper for someone whose child was going into rehab. I told him to call the addiction therapist he referred me to, and figure it out LOL!

She was really upbeat until the last moments and then a few tears slid down her cheeks. I knew what that was about... her dad and I hugged her, then I reached out and touched her chest where her heart is, told her she's never truly alone.

My daughter is very intelligent and knows she needs to be there for the full 28 days. She knows firsthand the pitfalls of re-entering society before the physical cravings are gone. My prayers are with her that she finds her inner strength to stay put the entire 28 days.

My serenity never wavered, even when I saw the tears. Thank you for your prayers, everyone. I know they helped us.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Definitely sending you and her GOOD thoughts and lots of love and light. I hope that by the time she goes to her next court appearance that they will take into consideration the fact that she put herself into rehab first.

She seems like a brave girl, facing her circumstances now.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
She was really upbeat until the last moments and then a few tears slid down her cheeks. I knew what that was about... her dad and I hugged her, then I reached out and touched her chest where her heart is, told her she's never truly alone.

My daughter is very intelligent and knows she needs to be there for the full 28 days. She knows firsthand the pitfalls of re-entering society before the physical cravings are gone. My prayers are with her that she finds her inner strength to stay put the entire 28 days.

My serenity never wavered, even when I saw the tears. Thank you for your prayers, everyone. I know they helped us.
Chino, I am so touched by this moment, so much hope, I am so happy she is finally ready...I prayer my AD will someday reach that point....prayers for your daughter
Old 05-19-2008, 09:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grateful2b View Post
I prayer my AD will someday reach that point
While waiting for her to be admitted I said prayers for all the parents here. After telling her dad, you all were the first people I told. I don't know what's going to happen with my daughter tomorrow or next week, next year, or the next decade. All I know is that today -- just for today -- everything is perfect in my world and I want others to feel that too.

I remembered the mom's who have lost their children forever and it hurt. I could easily end up being them someday and it's a sobering thought. Their loss makes me cherish the gift of today even more.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This good news; I will say a prayer that she stays and listens.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Chino,
Jumping in a little late here. I hope by now she is all settled in. My daughter weaned off of subs and didn't have any problems. She said it was a lot easier than detoxing from heroin and methadone. It sounds like your daughter is really thinking clearly and making good decisions about herself. I know how good that feels. My daughter has been off of drugs for 10 months now. She is working 2 jobs and just bought herself a car. Her money, her own insurance. She even did her own shopping around for insurance. I know that sounds silly, but to me that was a big deal. She used to be someone who couldn't even do the dishes. The small things that she does that we all take for granted are what make me happy. I just feel like she is starting to be alive again.

I wish you and your daughter the best. This is a good time for you to be happy and have some peace. It sounds like your daughter will take care of herself.

Higs...............Lo
Old 05-20-2008, 07:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

wow, Lo, really good news about your daughter!!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Lo, that is good news and I agree about the big deals. A couple of months ago, when our daughter decided to grab a fishing pole and join her dad on our shoreline for the first time, I almost cried. I just stood there silently and watched, thanked God. She's down there almost every day finding her serenity.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The bonding company just called me. He told me if she'll authorize the rehab center to send him a fax with her admit date and approx discharge date, he'll take it to the judge and petition for a continuance, dismissal of the warrant for failure to appear.

He said because she's gone beyond what the court required there's a really good chance she won't have to go to jail.

I almost cried. I'm still a little choked up to be honest. Not because she may avoid jail, because he said he understood her motive, wished her the best, and his willingness to be of assistance.

Thank you God for this man's kindness.